Author Topic: Will T-Mobile’s merger with Sprint tame its rebel’s heart?  (Read 809 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Dwight Silverman July 30, 2019

I ended a long relationship with AT&T as my mobile carrier and switched to T-Mobile in May 2018, drawn by the cellular carrier’s lower prices, almost-truly unlimited data and evidence that its coverage area had greatly improved.

It was a leap of faith, and I have been happy so far, but I’ve been watching its proposed merger with Sprint with a wary eye. Not because I worry that prices will go up and service quality go down with less competition, as is typically the case with big corporate hookups, but rather because I worry T-Mobile CEO John Legere will discard his rebel nature.

Legere, a wild-eyed executive known to tag his tweets with #IAmBatman, gets full credit for reforming the cellular service industry. If you have what counts for “unlimited” data on your smartphone, regardless of your carrier, you can thank Legere and T-Mobile’s drive to add users as fast as possible. He has been a fierce competitor, and a positive force in the industry.

When the Justice Department and five state attorneys general signed off on the merger Friday, it was a complex deal with many moving parts. T-Mobile and Sprint agreed to sell Sprint’s Boost Mobile and its 9 million prepaid customers to Dish, which will set up to become a new fourth national carrier. Dish also gets some wireless spectrum and can lease T-Mobile’s network for the next seven years until it can stand up one of its own.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Will-T-Mobile-s-merger-with-Sprint-tame-its-14200924.php