Author Topic: County opposes border wall, two families settle with government  (Read 471 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Valley Morning Star by Mark Reagan July 24, 2019

Cameron County Commissioners Court passed a resolution opposing U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s border wall construction efforts in the Rio Grande Valley.

Commissioners approved the item, which was placed on the consent agenda, with no discussion.

Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño Jr. said the commission felt it was important to put their opposition on the record.

“ We’re hearing that there is still consideration and thought and discussions being made with the building of additional border wall structures, not just fencing, but structures, but among them, in environmentally sensitive areas, such as the Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge,” he said.

He also said Commissioners Court is concerned that more border wall, which has existed here for a decade, is not the best use of limited federal dollars, which could be better used at ports-of-entry to improve drug interdiction efforts.

“ And the idea of saying the border is insecure as justification to build border wall, we just disagree with that anti-immigrant rhetoric,” he said.

The county passed a similar resolution in 2017, but at the time, public plans for President Donald Trump’s border wall focused on Hidalgo and Starr counties.

That’s now changed.

In July, CBP published notices in The Brownsville Herald, The Valley Morning Star and The Monitor, soliciting public comments on the location and potential impacts of border barrier projects, including 19 miles of levee or border wall in Cameron County.

More: https://www.valleymorningstar.com/2019/07/24/county-opposes-border-wall-two-families-settle-government/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: County opposes border wall, two families settle with government
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:45:35 pm »
This is bigger than "the county".

Step aside and get out of the way.

Or... we will PUT YOU out of the way, and get on with the work.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:48:37 pm »
This is bigger than "the county".

Step aside and get out of the way.

Or... we will PUT YOU out of the way, and get on with the work.

Actually Trump signed a bill allowing states to opt out of a border wall; I would assume that would also apply to counties??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:01:16 pm »
Actually Trump signed a bill allowing states to opt out of a border wall; I would assume that would also apply to counties??

Do you have a source for that? I can't seem to find one.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 10:26:10 pm »
Do you have a source for that? I can't seem to find one.

Please ping me if you get an answer.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 12:41:30 am »
Please ping me if you get an answer.

No pings because it isn't true!
@jpsb

Macallum: "...the way this bill is structured there are alot of outs where even local mayors can say 'you can't build it here on this property'"....

Scalise: "This was one of those last contention points....in this bill over 100 miles is opened now...ultimately what it said in the bill is that local officials would consult with DHS but in the end after getting public input, they (DHS) can still move forward including building new wall.

Democrats tried to sneak that in the bill at the last minute (the fact that local mayors can veto portions of wall)."

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self