Author Topic: Some of your favorite Mac apps will die in the coming 32-bitpocalypse  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Dwight Silverman July 12, 2019

Like clockwork, Apple churns out each fall a new version of the software that powers its Macintosh computers, touting cool and useful new things it can do.

This year, the updated operating system is notable for what it won’t do.

The new release, called macOS 10.15 Catalina, may prove fatal for some of your favorite Mac apps. That’s because Catalina will only work with programs that are written using 64-bit code. Many programs - including some created by Apple itself — are crafted using older, 32-bit code. Those older apps will stop working once you install the next version of macOS on your Apple desktop or laptop.

And you have been warned this was coming. For a couple of years now, launching a 32-bit app on a Mac that’s been updated generates a message that says the app is not “optimized” and that it “will not work with future versions of macOS”. If you downloaded and installed the beta version of Catalina made available last month, you're already feeling the pain.

Welcome to the 32-bitpocalypse, which is expected to hit in September when Apple traditionally releases its latest software. If you’ve been clinging to older versions of programs, or if an older app you rely on just hasn’t been updated, you’ve got some tough choices to make.

Possibly more concerning is that some of the files you created with older programs may no longer be usable, particularly video recorded in an older format. All those early digital movies you took of your kids? Poof!

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/techburger/article/Some-of-your-favorite-Mac-apps-will-be-casualties-14088505.php

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I bought a 2018 Mac Mini to replace my 2012 Mini (which actually still does fine, but the 2018 is considerably faster).

My reason for buying now was to ensure I would have a next-to-new Mac still capable of running Mojave (the last 32 bit OS) for some years to come.

I have several 32 bit apps that I prefer with no 64 bit equivalents. I really have no interest nor intention of moving to the 64 bit Catalina as my "main OS".

So I'm expecting at least 6, 7, or 8 more years "at 32 bits" before I'm forced to "look beyond" that.

This doesn't mean I won't keep around current copies of the Mac OS (a new version comes out annually) -- I had the developer beta of Catalina the day it was first released. But these will be maintained on external SSDs for experimentation only.

That's my plan for livin' a 32 bit future in a 64 bit world...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Some time after I stepped up to the 64bit world with windows10, I discovered I had several apps that would no longer run. I solved the problem by running them in a windows7 virtual window using Oracle VM Virtualbox. Perhaps you could also run your 32bit apps in a virtual window using Oracle for Macs.

Offline roamer_1

Some time after I stepped up to the 64bit world with windows10, I discovered I had several apps that would no longer run. I solved the problem by running them in a windows7 virtual window using Oracle VM Virtualbox. Perhaps you could also run your 32bit apps in a virtual window using Oracle for Macs.

That's right... I have VMs for about everything Win/Linux all the way down to my old, hacked MSDOS 7.10a with Win 98se mini that is hacked down and starts up to the 98 Program Manager and has a hacked win3.1 file manager that can read NT drives.

Of course you really need multi-core to play...