Author Topic: Federal grand jury hears testimony from Houston police officers about botched Pecan Park raid  (Read 548 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  St. John Barned-Smith July 24, 2019

Two Houston police officers testified Wednesday before a federal grand jury regarding the botched drug raid that left two homeowners dead — the first sign that federal prosecutors are pursuing criminal charges in the controversial case.

Houston Police Officers’ Union Vice President Doug Griffith confirmed that the two officers appeared before the grand jury, though their testimony is secret by law. Grand jury investigations can last weeks or months.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said he was unaware of officers being called by federal authorities to appear before a grand jury.

“We have completed our criminal investigation and are fully cooperating and working collaboratively with the FBI and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office as they conduct separate independent investigations,” he said. “The matter is now in the hands of the District Attorney, the FBI and the United States Attorney’s Office, and further comment would be inappropriate at this time.”

Federal officials would not discuss the case, but Ken Magidson, former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas, said the grand jury proceedings indicate the gravity of the case.

“It’s a serious matter, because it wouldn’t be brought before a grand jury unless people felt there was sufficient information to believe an indictment is a possibility,” Magidson said.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Federal-grand-jury-hears-testimony-from-Houston-14123217.php

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said he was unaware"

Sounds about right.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said he was unaware"

Sounds about right.

He's unaware of almost everything other than his political goals so why would anyone suppose he would be aware of that?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis