Author Topic: 'Dangerous to an unprecedented degree': Psychiatrists warn Congress that Trump incites violence  (Read 1507 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Dangerous to an unprecedented degree': Psychiatrists warn Congress that Trump incites violence
by Kimberly Leonard
 | July 23, 2019 08:02 PM

Mental health experts warned in an online event meant to convince Congress and the public Tuesday that President Trump incited his followers to violence, with one psychiatrist comparing Trump's rallies to those of Adolf Hitler.

The experts, four psychiatrists and one clinical psychologist, presented their positions alongside a mental health analysis of special counsel Robert Mueller's 448-page report, in which they concluded Trump does not have the sound mental capacity to function in his role as president.

Dr. James Merikangas, a psychiatrist from George Washington University, said the chanting at Trump's rallies were reminiscent of "Nuremberg rallies that Adolf Hilter had." He did not cite specific examples, but Trump rally-goers have chanted "lock her up" about Hillary Clinton and recently chanted "send her back" of Democratic congresswoman Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, who was born in Somalia.

"We believe he is a danger to the public," Merikangas said of Trump.

Another panelist, Dr. James Gilligan, a psychiatrist from New York University, called Trump "dangerous to an unprecedented degree in our history." He urged voters to remove Trump from office during the 2020 election if members of Congress didn't do so beforehand.

"What we are seeing is how he has succeeded in stimulating racial prejudice and a fear and hatred of immigrants, foreigners ... What I'm alarmed by is the effect he is having on the public," Gilligan said.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/dangerous-to-an-unprecedented-degree-psychiatrists-warn-congress-that-trump-incites-violence
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I knew it!  A Bandy Lee event.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline skeeter

Or maybe there is a higher level of violent psychotic behavior among leftists, who tend to be more critical of Trump.

Thank goodness we don’t allow the loonies free reign to pick our leaders.

Offline PeteS in CA

Four Trump-Hating fruitcakes making an unethical "diagnosis" from hundreds of miles away. tri22
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Hoodat

American Psychiatric Association
The Principles of Medical Ethics

Section 7, Rule 3

On occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general. However, it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper
authorization for such a statement
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:22:47 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Section 7, Rule 3

On occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general. However, it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper
authorization for such a statement

Bandy don't play that.

Offline Victoria33

Section 7, Rule 3
____________--
Rule 3 is only for the Am. Psy. Assn., and it is only a rule, not a law.  It is called, The Goldwater Rule".
Other mental health workers also choose to follow rule 3.

Rule 3 does not apply when:

THERE IS A THREAT FOR HARM TO THE PATIENT OR TO OTHERS.  In that case, the mental health worker MUST tell the appropriate officials.

This is why these psychiatrists and other mental health workers are publicizing the threat of physical harm Donald Trump can cause to this country.  They are not putting any mental diagnosis on him since they have not tested him.

I knew this from the time he began his campaign for President, and I was not surprised when 27 psychiatrists and mental health workers wrote "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump".

Bandy Lee, M.D., was the editor who put together all the authors' works.  She also wrote the Introduction, titled, "Our Duty to Warn".  This section is a discussion of Rule 3, also known as the Goldwater Rule. 

The book, therefore, has 27 authors who wrote independently or in a group of two or three, meaning this is not "group think".  They compare Trump's behavior to psychological measures, indicating what that behavior likely means based on their specific expertise in human behavior.

This new article tells me they are more concerned than they were, since they are approaching Congress to inform them Trump's behavior is inciting others to commit violence.  That is what I thought at this last rally of his.  "Send Her Back" an over and over chant.  I thought that may give some kook the idea to take out that lady and think he will get Trump's approval after he does it.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring with Mueller testifying to Congress.

Bill Cipher

Uh, yeah.  Thing is, all the violence is coming from the left.  So, it only stands to reason, that those inciting violence are the democrats and their fellow-travelers on the left. 

Online Hoodat

This new article tells me they are more concerned than they were, since they are approaching Congress to inform them Trump's behavior is inciting others to commit violence.

Are you seriously suggesting that it's Trump's fault that the left is committing violence?

Congressman Steve Scalise

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Along the same line of thinking, Johnson and Nixon in 1968, Nixon in 1972, Reagan in 1980 and 1984 "upset" certain members of American society.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

Are you seriously suggesting that it's Trump's fault that the left is committing violence?

Congressman Steve Scalise

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/prosecutors-reveal-why-rand-paul-was-attacked-neighbor-n839366

Where were those Trump-Haters when this female was making threats? https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/politics/maxine-waters-trump-officials/index.html
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Applewood

Well, I happen to think Trump is a lunatic.  But I'm not a psychiatrist or a psychologist and I never examined him.  I suppose these guys' opinions carry about as much weight as mine. 

Having worked for lawyers defending personal injury suits, I know it was not uncommon to have the plaintiff sent to an  independent medical professional agreed upon by counsel for both parties.  This professional would conduct an IME (independent medical examination) of the plaintiff, reduce his findings to a written report and perhaps be called to testify in court, if necessary.  I should think that if these bums in congress really wanted to remove Trump on "incapacity" grounds, they would do something similar, not rely on these guys.

Offline PeteS in CA

Well, I happen to think Trump is a lunatic.  But I'm not a psychiatrist or a psychologist and I never examined him.  I suppose these guys' opinions carry about as much weight as mine. 

Having worked for lawyers defending personal injury suits, I know it was not uncommon to have the plaintiff sent to an  independent medical professional agreed upon by counsel for both parties.  This professional would conduct an IME (independent medical examination) of the plaintiff, reduce his findings to a written report and perhaps be called to testify in court, if necessary.  I should think that if these bums in congress really wanted to remove Trump on "incapacity" grounds, they would do something similar, not rely on these guys.

Except that would be a violation of the 4th Amendment. There would have to be substantial probable cause before such a medical exam could be forced. "I hate Trump" is not probable cause, and that, really, is all the Dems and their shills (e.g. these psychiatrists) have.

Bill Cipher

Except that would be a violation of the 4th Amendment. There would have to be substantial probable cause before such a medical exam could be forced. "I hate Trump" is not probable cause, and that, really, is all the Dems and their shills (e.g. these psychiatrists) have.

Why would the Fourth Amendment be implicated?

Offline PeteS in CA

Why would the Fourth Amendment be implicated?

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Offline goatprairie

Four Trump-Hating fruitcakes making an unethical "diagnosis" from hundreds of miles away. tri22
Maybe they're some of the same shrinks who in 1964 decided Barry Goldwater was dangerously insane and liable to start WWIII if elected.
What party do you think these shrinks vote for? Only one guess.

Offline goatprairie

I knew it!  A Bandy Lee event.   *****rollingeyes*****
More like a Pinky Lee event. 

Offline Idiot

It's all so clear now.....  888mouth

Offline Applewood

Ok, but I'm just saying that if congress wanted to go forward, they would need some real evidence from a medical professional who examined  and/or tested him, not just what amounts to the personal opinions of these doctors.

Bill Cipher

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Only if the seizure is used for criminal purposes. 

Offline Applewood

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:56:42 pm by Applewood »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline PeteS in CA

Only if the seizure is used for criminal purposes.

Where is that limitation in the text of the 4th Amendment?

Bill Cipher

Where is that limitation in the text of the 4th Amendment?

Oh goodie.  personal insult removed counselor   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:16:56 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline LegalAmerican

Or maybe there is a higher level of violent psychotic behavior among leftists, who tend to be more critical of Trump.

Thank goodness we don’t allow the loonies free reign to pick our leaders.

.......^ 5. The LEFTS...always. BACKWARDS....that is communism.  ALL LIES..ALL THE TIME.  No one is forcing people to act this way, to my president.  THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE VIOLENT.  CHOICES.  They are the problem....not president TRUMP.