Author Topic: Boris Johnson is the new PM of England  (Read 964 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Boris Johnson is the new PM of England
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:25:49 am »
The result of the Tory leadership contest announced, with Boris Johnson the winner
Boris Johnson pays tribute to Jeremy Hunt and to Theresa May
Tuesday is Theresa May's last full day in office and her successor will take over as PM on Wednesday
Chancellor Philip Hammond and Justice Secretary David Gauke say they will resign if Mr Johnson becomes PM
Sir Alan Duncan quit as a Foreign Office minister on Monday in protest at a possible Boris Johnson victory
Education Minister Anne Milton announces her resignation

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-49073992
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Boris Johnson is the new PM of England
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:26:38 am »
Story breaking and being added. Lots of videos on the BBC link too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Bill Cipher

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 11:28:52 am »
This should be fun.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:42:41 am »
Grab your popcorn folks, the days ahead should prove to be loads of fun in the parliament. (How does an Englishman come to be named Boris, anyway?)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:46:10 am »
This should be fun.

Interesting that we both choose the word ‘fun’ to describe the show that’s sure to come.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:27:19 pm »
He wants Brexit done by Oct 31.

Good luck!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:41 pm »
Trump has already said PM Johnson is a swell guy.  I wonder how long that will last?

I don't know much about him, but I do wish PM Johnson well.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 10:28:39 pm »
He's got his hands full already, with both Brexit and Iran.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 03:55:43 am »
"Good man. He’s tough and he’s smart. They’re saying ‘Britain Trump.’ They call him ‘Britain Trump,’ and there’s people saying that’s a good thing," the president continued.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/23/trump-boris-johnson-british-prime-minister-1426714

Hahahaha.....I don’t think they’re saying that in a way that’s complimentary and mean what he thinks.

'Watermelon smiles' and 'piccaninnies': Boris Johnson on Africans

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/23/africa/boris-johnson-africa-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 09:44:30 am »
Temporary stickie.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 10:12:53 am »
EU braces for Boris Johnson as UK leader _ and Brexit
    Byraf casert, associated press
BRUSSELS — Jul 24, 2019,

russels is bracing for Boris and Brexit.

Three decades ago, journalist Boris Johnson wrote stories for London's Daily Telegraph playing up stereotypes about bumbling bureaucrats in the European Union wasting money and tying up U.K. businesses in red tape — articles the European officials deemed to be so false that they coined the word "Euromyth" to describe them.

Now he is becoming Britain's prime minister, set to lead the country out of the EU, and Johnson showed last week that little has changed.

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/eu-braces-boris-johnson-uk-leader-brexit-64528833

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 09:43:34 am »
Boris Johnson has got the Brexit band back together — will they succeed?
Alexander SmithAlexander Smith is a London-based senior reporter for NBC News Digital.

LONDON — For the first time in Britain's tortuous Brexit saga, the true believers are running the show.

Boris Johnson became prime minister this week with a sweeping purge of the Cabinet and bringing in his own cast of Brexit hard-liners.

No sooner had he swept into No. 10 Downing St., Johnson started getting the band back together. His inner circle now bears a striking resemblance to the team that led the original 2016 Brexit referendum campaign to leave the European Union.

Read more at: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/boris-johnson-has-got-brexit-band-back-together-will-they-n1035071

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 02:54:23 pm »
Grab your popcorn folks, the days ahead should prove to be loads of fun in the parliament. (How does an Englishman come to be named Boris, anyway?)

According to Wikipedia:

Johnson was given the middle name "Boris" after a Russian émigré his parents had once met.

His first name is really Alexander.  And he has quite a varied ethnic background, including a secular Muslim and a Jewish ancestor. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 05:20:49 pm »
Backstop? Isn't that baseball talk? I haven't been around but I"ve only heard it with baseball, maybe cricket says it too.

UK PM Johnson tells EU: Ditch the backstop or there will be no-deal Brexit

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson cautioned the European Union on Saturday that the Irish backstop, which he said was undemocratic, needed to be ditched if they were to strike a Brexit divorce deal.

Johnson, since taking office on Wednesday, has repeatedly warned that if the EU continues to refuse to renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement agreed by his predecessor, Theresa May, then he will take Britain out on Oct. 31 without a deal.

His biggest demand is that the most hotly contested element of the Brexit divorce agreement - the Irish border backstop - be struck out of the Withdrawal Agreement, a demand that has angered Ireland and perturbed other EU capitals.

More: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2019/07/27/UK-PM-Johnson-tells-EU-Ditch-the-backstop-or-there-will-be-no-deal-Brexit.html

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 05:24:27 pm »
@TomSea

Thanks for providing some much-needed background about Johnson on this thread!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 05:44:50 pm »
From what I can gather, this Boris seems awful soft on social issues other than Brexit and illegal immigration.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »
From what I can gather, this Boris seems awful soft on social issues other than Brexit and illegal immigration.

It's tough being soft on those issues while promising to be tough on illegal immigration.  Should make for interesting viewing.   :pop41:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 10:03:32 am »
UK Conservatives surge in opinion poll as Johnson becomes PM
Reuters Sunday, 28 July 2019

Britain’s Conservative Party has opened up a 10-point lead over the opposition Labour Party after Boris Johnson took over as prime minister, an opinion poll published on Saturday showed.

The YouGov poll for the Sunday Times newspaper put Johnson’s Conservatives on 31%, up six percentage points from the previous poll, while Labour was on 21%, up two points.

Yougov results at: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2019/07/28/UK-Conservatives-surge-in-opinion-poll-as-Johnson-becomes-PM.html

Yes, I'd believe it means he's probably soft on social issues as far as that debate goes,   the conservatives in Canada have agreed to leave the abortion debate alone.

Well, we've still got a smattering of European countries conservative on such issues, Poland, Hungary and maybe Italy for starters.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »
Actually, even going back to Thatcher which is a very long time, I don't think they deal with these issues much in their system and yes, I see that as a weakness in their system versus ours. They had a referendum vote on abortion years ago and I believe that has set policy. Anyone is free to correct me on the exact history.

I hope Northern Ireland keeps abortion illegal, for the time being, because they could not get their act together on leadership, they are going with UK or England types of rules for now but they have a few months to fix things.

London stomps on Northern Ireland’s rights — and lives
By Nuala O’Loan    July 25, 2019 | 9:21pm

American friends of Northern Ireland, we need your help.

This week, the British Parliament voted to radically alter the country’s abortion laws. Effective Oct. 22, Northern Ireland will go from being the most restrictive jurisdiction in the United Kingdom to having one of the most liberal abortion regimes in all of Europe — all over the broad opposition of the people of Northern Ireland and the lawmakers elected to represent them at Westminster.

Northern Ireland has guarded its abortion laws jealously. We view the protection of unborn life as life-affirming and progressive. Since 1967, when Great Britain (that is, England, Scotland and Wales) enacted an abortion-on-demand regime, some 9 million pregnancies have been terminated. In Northern Ireland, by contrast, we only permit abortion when the mother’s life is in danger or when continuing a pregnancy poses a serious and permanent threat to her health.

More: https://nypost.com/2019/07/25/london-stomps-on-northern-irelands-rights-and-lives/

I hope they can fix whatever this problem is.  Read the rest of the article, the NI assembly is undergoing an internal crisis and hasn't sat for two years, this is getting in the way of things.