Author Topic: Wal-Mart employees in McDonough, Georgia, reportedly refused to make a Blue Lives Matter cake for a  (Read 473 times)

rangerrebew

Wal-Mart employees in McDonough, Georgia, reportedly refused to make a Blue Lives Matter cake for a police officer’s retirement party because they felt it was “racist.”

The story went viral after Taylor Wilkies, a local officer, wrote about it on Facebook.

“My buddy’s sister went to Walmart in McDonough, GA to have a cake made for their father’s retirement party,” Wilkies wrote.

“She asked Walmart to make a ‘thin blue line’ cake to commemorate his extensive and honorable service as a dedicated police officer. Walmart refused to honor her request due to it being ‘racist’. To me, this is appalling. People CHOOSE to make EVERYTHING about race. I’m so tired of it. It’s literally exhausting for me to think about now.”

https://independentminute.com/2019/07/21/this-is-the-cake-walmart-refused-to-make-for-a-police-officer-photo-2/?utm_source=RR%20Indie%20Minute%20-email2%20&utm_medium=email&utm_content=subscriber_id:5138254&utm_campaign=7-22%20IDM%20test
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:55:14 am by rangerrebew »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Should've just said they were gay.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

I'd bet some bakers in Lakewood, CO and Gresham, OR would have been glad to make that cake.

I think the store manglement should be given a chance to respond appropriately.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd bet some bakers in Lakewood, CO and Gresham, OR would have been glad to make that cake.

I think the store manglement should be given a chance to respond appropriately.

The article says Walmart responded, but I didn't see anywhere the employee(s) responsible got sacked, which would have been the appropriate response.  Just an offer to make a free cake, after the fact.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

The article says Walmart responded, but I didn't see anywhere the employee(s) responsible got sacked, which would have been the appropriate response.  Just an offer to make a free cake, after the fact.

If the employees were retained but otherwise disciplined the store probably could not say, due to employee privacy. But I agree that the employee(s) who did this should have been fired. Besides the outrage of what they did, their action also showed that they could not be trusted not to adulterate customer's special-order baked goods.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If the employees were retained but otherwise disciplined the store probably could not say, due to employee privacy. But I agree that the employee(s) who did this should have been fired. Besides the outrage of what they did, their action also showed that they could not be trusted not to adulterate customer's special-order baked goods.

Precisely why I would not be taking Walmart up on the offer of a free cake.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Snopes says this happened in 2016.

Offline PeteS in CA

Snopes says this happened in 2016.

Correct:

Georgia Walmart Faces Backlash After Refusal to Make 'Blue Lives Matter' Cake

Author: Neima Abdulahi, Michael King
Published: 10:12 AM EDT September 27, 2016
Updated: 10:13 AM EDT September 27, 2016
MCDONOUGH, GA -- A local Walmart is facing a backlash after employees there refused to make a "Blue Lives Matter" cake for a retiring police officer, and the story is going viral.

The officer's daughter says it was a cake for the officer's retirement party, after serving for 25 years. She says the store's refusal left her puzzled and devastated.
Harkins said employees initially declined her request, saying the cake might offend some people. After the social media post spread, Harkins said a manager called her to apologize and make the cake.

11Alive News talked with the Walmart manager, who said they fixed the problem. A representative from Walmart's Corporate Communications Department sent the following statement:

"Our goal is to always take care of customers. But, sometimes we misstep. We have addressed this issue with everyone involved and are taking steps to make sure no other customers have this kind of experience in our stores."

"It doesn't make up for the fact that it should have never happened in the first place," Harkins said.

She says she was able to take the cake they finally made to her dad's retirement party.

Georgia Walmart apologizes after bakers refuse to make ‘Blue Lives Matter’ cake

The post, which has been shared nearly 5,000 times since it was first published over the weekend, caught the attention of the superstore in question. The police officer's daughter said the manager phoned to apologize.

"So the manager told me that he would decorate it — but it looked terrible," she said. "It doesn't look professional."

And unfortunately, she said she didn't have time to go anywhere else after receiving the poorly decorated cake.

"It irritates me that in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Walmart was looted and the cops were protecting them," she told Stern. "And you can't make a cake for the people who are protecting you?"

Before commenting on the daughter's criticism of the cake first see the picture of the cake. Her criticism is accurate.

I looked over quite a few articles about this incident. The articles I quoted above don't mention it, but the woman went to Kroger, and they made a cake for her. Also, none of the articles indicated whether or not the store disciplined its bakery employees. So either it was discipline short of firing, or nothing meaningful was done.