Author Topic: New Budget Deal Puts Final Nail in the Tea-Party Coffin  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

New Budget Deal Puts Final Nail in the Tea-Party Coffin
« on: July 23, 2019, 04:47:01 am »
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/07/new-budget-deal-puts-final-nail-in-the-tea-party-coffin/

New Budget Deal Puts Final Nail in the Tea-Party Coffin
By Brian Riedl

July 22, 2019 4:16 PM

(Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
The conventional wisdom among Washington Republicans is that populist conservative voters no longer care about spending or deficits.

President Trump and congressional leaders are nearing a deal that would raise the discretionary-spending caps by $320 billion over two years and offset less than one-quarter of those costs (and even those offsets would take a decade to materialize). The budget deal would essentially repeal the final two years of the 2011 Budget Control Act and raise the baseline for future discretionary spending by nearly $2 trillion over the decade.

This represents a fitting conclusion of the Budget Control Act — the crown jewel of the 2011 “tea-party Congress.” The decade-long shredding of these hard-fought budget constraints mirrors the shredding of Republican credibility on fiscal responsibility.

<snip>

But the election of President Trump — with the tea-party Senator Ted Cruz, among others, defeated in the process — may have finally killed the tea party as a whole. Trump, who called himself the “king of debt,” deemphasized spending restraint and even promised that Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, the overwhelming drivers of long-term deficits, would be off limits to reform. His surprising election marked a replacement of the GOP’s free-market conservatism, exemplified by Ryan, with a more populist, big-government conservatism. By 2017, a Pew poll showed that just 15 percent of Republicans supported paring back the escalating costs of Medicare or Social Security to bring down the deficit

more at link

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: New Budget Deal Puts Final Nail in the Tea-Party Coffin
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:59:44 am »
Trump will be long gone and our children will be trying to pay this off.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 05:15:15 am »

That's right. Except grandchildren... or great grandchildren.
Folks just can't even begin to comprehend what a trillion dollars even is.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 07:05:16 am »
Sure I can....

It's $999,999,999,980.00 more than I have in my pocket right now.

If I could pull $100.00 out of my pocket every second it would only take 317 years to stack it up (not allowing for the extra day in leap years).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:06:08 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:11:14 am »
Sure I can....

It's $999,999,999,980.00 more than I have in my pocket right now.

If I could pull $100.00 out of my pocket every second it would only take 317 years to stack it up (not allowing for the extra day in leap years).

And that's a butt-ton of chedda. Now figger out 21T

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:38:22 am »
Now figged out 120T....

That's the most common number I see for the so called unfunded liabilities that fedgov has, but keeps off the books.  Thought I've seen higher...

Mind-boggling....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 10:46:44 am »
Now figged out 120T....

That's the most common number I see for the so called unfunded liabilities that fedgov has, but keeps off the books.  Thought I've seen higher...

Mind-boggling....

This drunken sailor spending by all in DC is utter bull shit.  Yeah, there are still a few of us fiscal conservatives who realize that at some point the blank check is going to bounce. 

Trump- Complicit
All f'n lawmakers in DC- Complict
SOB electorate who keepis voting this shit in-  Complicit
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 11:45:38 am »
This drunken sailor spending by all in DC is utter bull shit.  Yeah, there are still a few of us fiscal conservatives who realize that at some point the blank check is going to bounce. 

Trump- Complicit

I couldn't agree with you more.

All complicit, this is lazy, lawless, disgusting, cowardly.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:54 am »
By 2017, a Pew poll showed that just 15 percent of Republicans supported paring back the escalating costs of Medicare or Social Security to bring down the deficit

I wouldn't support this, either, if this was the only thing they were talking about cutting.
Cuts need to happen everywhere.

Not a good day for us budget hawks.

Online LMAO

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 11:55:18 am »

SS and Medicare are popular because the cost is being passed down to a generation that isn’t old enough to vote yet. If people had to pay for the real cost of both, no debt or printing, they would lose their luster with the voters
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 12:06:53 pm »

Trump- Complicit

SOB electorate keeps voting for MORE shit .... I don't know how one even begins to change this mindset.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 01:01:55 pm »
I'd say this not only puts the final nail in the Tea-Party's coffin, but also the GOP/Trump and our Republic.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 01:24:08 pm »
SOB electorate keeps voting for MORE shit .... I don't know how one even begins to change this mindset.

No, it’s quite the opposite, which is why we had red waves and shellackings, during the midterms of the previous administration. A great deal of those have either left Congress or made a Faustian bargain with the Assclown In Chief, who has no clue on fiscal policy. Some of his great ideas included defaulting and renegotiating, growing our way out of it, and just not caring, because he won’t be there, when the walls come down.

https://www.dailycaller.com/2019/06/13/donald-trump-national-debt/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/05/07/donald-trumps-glorious-threat-to-default-on-the-national-debt-is-just-the-conventional-wisdom/#7a408c9ba367

https://www.telegram.com/news/20170806/robert-samuelson-we-cant-grow-our-way-out-of-serious-conflicts

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-debt-crisis-fine-wont-be-here-report-2018-12
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 01:35:38 pm »
SS and Medicare are popular because the cost is being passed down to a generation that isn’t old enough to vote yet. If people had to pay for the real cost of both, no debt or printing, they would lose their luster with the voters

And, because we can say "we paid for that" and we did....sorta, somewhat.  It makes it much more palatable and defensible.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 01:37:39 pm »

No, it’s quite the opposite, which is why we had red waves and shellackings, during the midterms of the previous administration. A great deal of those have either left Congress or made a Faustian bargain with the Assclown In Chief, who has no clue on fiscal policy. Some of his great ideas included defaulting and renegotiating, growing our way out of it, and just not caring, because he won’t be there, when the walls come down.

https://www.dailycaller.com/2019/06/13/donald-trump-national-debt/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/05/07/donald-trumps-glorious-threat-to-default-on-the-national-debt-is-just-the-conventional-wisdom/#7a408c9ba367

https://www.telegram.com/news/20170806/robert-samuelson-we-cant-grow-our-way-out-of-serious-conflicts

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-debt-crisis-fine-wont-be-here-report-2018-12

Isn't that the way the last however many presidents and congresses have handled it?  Is there anything new here?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 01:52:32 pm »

Wrong. We will pay the harsh economic consequences of the debt within the next 10 years.

And you damn well know we were way past the red line long before Trump got to office.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:54:04 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 02:57:35 pm »
Orange man bad. Trump's uneducated racist voters are the problem.

Without them, we coulda had Jeb Bush, John Kasich or Hillary. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 02:57:52 pm »
Wrong. We will pay the harsh economic consequences of the debt within the next 10 years.

And you damn well know we were way past the red line long before Trump got to office.

A quick search on "trump budget deficit promise" displays multiple links to his statements/promises to lower the deficit, control spending, etc.

You're right, @Free Vulcan , we were way past the red line before Trump ran for President. Unfortunately, he's abdicated his responsibility on the deficit, in much the same way he's abdicated his responsibility on border security.

Based on his ACTIONS in office, I have no reason to believe anything he says. There are actions available to him as POTUS to deal with a recalcitrant Congress, but he has shown a reluctance to employ them.

ETA: As to the death of the TEA Party, that was accomplished in 2016, when GOP voters went for the populist Trump, a death that was aided and abetted by RINOs who used the principles of the TEA Party for their own aggrandizement.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:01:18 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 06:29:16 pm »
This will come as news at my next bi-weekly TEA Party meeting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 07:11:29 pm »
Isn't that the way the last however many presidents and congresses have handled it?  Is there anything new here?

There’s plenty new, considering it was $5T, at the beginning of the century. Doubling the debt under the last administration was a crucial issue in the last presidential election. Now, nobody cares and people like Limbaugh are trying to gaslight us into thinking we never really did.

“Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore,” Limbaugh shot back. “All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it’s been around.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/rush-limbaugh-admits-his-attacks-on-obama-were-bogus-as-he-attempts-to-defend-trump/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 07:30:18 pm »

There’s plenty new, considering it was $5T, at the beginning of the century. Doubling the debt under the last administration was a crucial issue in the last presidential election. Now, nobody cares and people like Limbaugh are trying to gaslight us into thinking we never really did.

“Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore,” Limbaugh shot back. “All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it’s been around.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/rush-limbaugh-admits-his-attacks-on-obama-were-bogus-as-he-attempts-to-defend-trump/

Not exactly a Trump friendly site: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-national-debt-deficit-compared-to-obama-bush-clinton-2019-2

He's not a fiscal conservative, but he's also not 0bama.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 07:37:19 pm »

Trump- Complicit

Brought to you by the Marxist Income tax and the Federal reserve banks. Which BTW, are not federal!

And the line under that is that it will NEVER change for so long as we continue to abide the above mentioned things.

"There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." - Henry David  Thoreau
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:43:11 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 08:00:00 pm »
Sen. Cruz Issues Statement Opposing Budget Deal
July 23, 2019
  | 
202-228-7561

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) today issued the following statement regarding the budget deal reached yesterday:

"The budget deal reached by administration negotiators and congressional leadership is yet another missed opportunity to rein in excessive government spending. This deal irresponsibly jacks up spending by $320 billion without real offsets, and suspends the debt limit into 2021. Instead of finally dealing with our nearly $1 trillion deficit and $22 trillion debt, this deal just kicks the can down the road again. Three years ago, the American people voted to move away from the big-government spending of the Obama era. We should work to restore fiscal sanity, rather than perpetuating Democrats' big government programs. I urge administration negotiators to go back to the bargaining table and fight for the president's priorities."

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=4598

Offline EdJames

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 08:36:40 pm »

Sen. Cruz Issues Statement Opposing Budget Deal
July 23, 2019
  |
202-228-7561

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) today issued the following statement regarding the budget deal reached yesterday:

"The budget deal reached by administration negotiators and congressional leadership is yet another missed opportunity to rein in excessive government spending. This deal irresponsibly jacks up spending by $320 billion without real offsets, and suspends the debt limit into 2021. Instead of finally dealing with our nearly $1 trillion deficit and $22 trillion debt, this deal just kicks the can down the road again. Three years ago, the American people voted to move away from the big-government spending of the Obama era. We should work to restore fiscal sanity, rather than perpetuating Democrats' big government programs. I urge administration negotiators to go back to the bargaining table and fight for the president's priorities."
https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=4598

:thumbsup:

I am hoping that this monstrosity gets killed off in the Senate.

In the brief time that I was traveling between appointments, I heard Limbo, with more 'pragmatism' in his voice than I could stomach, spewing about: "how there is nothing that Trump can do...  can't have bad optics during an election season...  can't let the Dems and media paint Trump as cruel....  and what's the difference of a few more hundred billion at this point..."

*****rollingeyes*****

Say, I have an idea...  you could post the above as a new thread, maybe with the title: "Trump vs. Cruz, Budget Showdown!!"  I bet it would be a real smash!!

:bolt:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 08:40:33 pm »
He's not a fiscal conservative, but he's also not 0bama.

Give him time... He's already knocking on Obama's door in only 4 years.