Author Topic: Trump Administration Moves To Speed Up Deportations With Expedited Removal Expansion  (Read 152 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/744177726/trump-administration-moves-to-speed-up-deportations-with-expedited-removal-expan

The Trump administration announced on Monday it is expanding fast-track deportation regulations to include the removal of undocumented immigrants who cannot prove they have been in the U.S. continuously for two years or more.

The change dramatically expands the ability of the Department of Homeland Security to quickly deport certain immigrants without any of the due-process protections granted to most other people, including the right to an attorney and to a hearing before a judge. It is set to go into effect Tuesday and is the latest escalation of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown.

"The effect of that change will be to enhance national security and public safety — while reducing government costs — by facilitating prompt immigration determinations," DHS said in a notice.

Additionally, DHS stated part of the purpose for the policy revision is to "harmonize" existing regulations to apply equally to undocumented immigrants who arrive by land and sea.

Currently, undocumented immigrants who cross into the U.S. by land can be deported without an immigration hearing if they are arrested within 100 miles of the border during the first 14 days after their arrival. Those who arrive by sea can be deported without legal proceedings if they are unable to prove they have been living in the U.S. for two years or more.

But under the latest proposal, all geographical limitations would be lifted and rapid removal proceedings would be applied to all undocumented immigrants who have been in the country for less than two years.

More at link.

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but up until now illegals walking across the border were promised an immigration hearing if they could avoid capture for 14 days, but an illegal arriving by boat could be deported without a hearing for up to 2 years after arriving.  How did this continue for the last 2.5 years?  I have to assume this is in jeopardy by the courts since everything President Trump does is in jeopardy by the courts.

And hey illegals!!!  If you've been here 2 years or longer, nuthin' changed.

Online libertybele

It's a bit confusing -- as I thought Bammy did away with the wet foot dry foot law and those coming by sea can no longer just touch soil and be granted asylum.  Perhaps that only pertains to Cuban refugees?  Not sure.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

It's a bit confusing -- as I thought Bammy did away with the wet foot dry foot law and those coming by sea can no longer just touch soil and be granted asylum.  Perhaps that only pertains to Cuban refugees?  Not sure.
Could be the President is making this up too.

Online rustynail

Here comes the Judge.