Author Topic: CANADA: Tourist couple murder: Teenage boys named as suspects (Updates)  (Read 2692 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
See post #2, they have suspects, 2 teens, no arrests yet.

Crime and Incidents
Mysterious Bearded Man Seen Arguing With Murdered US Woman and Her Australian Boyfriend Before Their Deaths
By Isabel van Brugen
July 22, 2019 Updated: July 22, 2019

A mysterious bearded man was seen arguing with the American woman and her Australian boyfriend who were murdered on a Canadian highway last week, according to a witness.

A widespread manhunt was launched after the murder of 24-year-old Chynna Deese and 23-year-old Lucas Fowler, whose bodies were discovered on the Alaska Highway in British Columbia on July 15, reported the Daily Mail.

The pair, who had just begun a road trip in Canada, were last seen on the afternoon of July 14 beside their blue Chevrolet minivan which had reportedly broken down.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/mysterious-bearded-man-seen-arguing-with-murdered-us-woman-and-her-australian-boyfriend-before-their-deaths_3011512.html

Highway of Tears:
The Highway of Tears is a 720-kilometre (450 mi) corridor of Highway 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada, which has been the location of many murders and disappearances beginning in 1970. The phrase was coined in 1998 during a vigil held in Terrace, British Columbia for six missing women. There are a disproportionately high number of Indigenous women on the list of victims. Proposed explanations for the years-long endurance of the crimes and the limited progress in identifying culprits include systemic racism, poverty, drug abuse, widespread domestic violence, disconnection with traditional culture and disruption of the family unit through the foster care system and Canadian Indian residential school system.[1][2][3][4] Poverty in particular leads to low rates of car ownership and mobility, thus hitchhiking is often the only way for many to travel vast distances to see family or go to work, school, or seek medical treatment. Another factor leading to abductions and murders is that the area is largely isolated and remote, with soft soil in many areas and carnivorous scavengers to carry away human remains; these factors precipitate violent attacks as perpetrators feel a sense of impunity, privacy and the ability to easily carry out their crimes and hide evidence.[5][6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Tears_murders

The story broke about 7-10 days ago.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:46:52 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

CANADA: Tourist couple murder: Teenage boys named as suspects
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:44:05 pm »
Tourist couple murder: Teenage boys named as suspects

Two Canadian teenagers thought to be on the run are now the main suspects in the double murder of a young couple.

A burnt-out camper van belonging to the lifelong friends - Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18 - was discovered on Friday along the highway in northern British Columbia.

Days before, two tourists were found shot to death 500km (310 miles) away.

Police say Mr McLeod and Mr Schmegelsky have since been spotted driving out of the province and are now suspects.

The bodies of Chynna Deese (left) and Lucas Fowler were discovered last week

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49091442

She's an American, he's an Australian, I thought I posted it and was going to update that but I couldn't. A preliminary sketch of a person of interest came out yesterday and was basically the portrait of a haggard looking fellow with a beard. So, this is totally different. God rest their souls.  A real surprise on this one, of course, they need to be tried first.

As the article reads, days before, 2 other tourists were found dead, 310 miles away.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:56:11 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Father of Canada Highway Murder Suspect Says Son on ‘Suicide Mission,’ Will Likely Die

After McLeod and Schmegelsky were charged with second-degree murder for allegedly killing Dyck, Schmegelsky’s father said that his son had a troubled upbringing and is in “very serious pain” stemming from his parents divorce in 2005.

“A normal child doesn’t travel across the country killing people. A child in some very serious pain does,” Alan Schmegelsky told Canadian Press.

Schmegelsky said his son will probably die in a battle with police officers.

“He’s on a suicide mission. He wants his pain to end. Basically, he’s going to be dead today or tomorrow.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/father-of-canada-highway-murder-suspect-says-son-on-suicide-mission-will-likely-die_3016570.html

Okay, but you don't go killing people. Lots of people have troubled backgrounds but don't do this.

Though, to me, it did sound like these two have something that makes me think of those kinds of Satanic-music killings, stuff like that. That they are way way out there.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If this kid goes out in a blaze o' glory, fine with me.

But that won't bring back the couple (and perhaps others) that he murdered.

So... blaze away !!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
So all of the BS about First Nation pdple is wrong.

Whole lot of bictimhood, Oppression Olympics going on with this article.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

This is a captivating story, I'm going to sticky it for the time being.  It supposedly is getting a lot of international attention, it's been prominent at the BBC and Fox News too.

The latest, the two boys may have been able to get out of where they were allegedly holed up in the province of Manitoba through a disguise, they even fooled someone up there. Sounds like the RCMP, Royal Canadian Mounted Patrol talked to someone up there but what disguise?

Also:

B.C. homicide suspect Bryer Schmegelsky not a neo-Nazi, dad says
But the wanted 18-year-old thought Nazi memorabilia was 'cool'
Karin Larsen · CBC News · Posted: Jul 27, 2019 7:00 AM PT | Last Updated: an hour ago

Photos of Bryer Schmegelsky submitted to CBC News by an online gamer at Steam, a video game distribution platform, where the two met. (Submitted)

A homicide suspect who allegedly sent photographs of a swastika armband and a Hitler Youth knife to an online friend was not a Nazi sympathizer, but he did think the memorabilia was "cool," says his father.

The photographs also show Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, in military fatigues, holding an Airsoft replica rifle and wearing a gas mask.

The man is a suspect along with Kam McLeod, 19, in two homicides in Northern British Columbia.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/suspect-nazi-bryer-schmegelsky-1.5187809

See, he's following a bit into a pattern of the kinds of people who do these crimes.

They found Nazi paraphernalia at an Army Surplus Store in BC Canada? That's a bit surprising.. See the remaining story at link with photo.

So, what are the guesses? These people get found out soon? I'd give 48 hours but I thought they'd catch them pretty quickly and I have definitely been wrong.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:40:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Military arrives in Northern Manitoba to help search for homicide suspects
Social Sharing
RCMP will determine the area where Hercules aircraft will assist
CBC News · Posted: Jul 27, 2019 1:40 PM CT | Last Updated: 9 minutes ago

The military's air support for the RMCP has landed in Gillam, Man., to help police with the massive hunt for the two B.C. homicide suspects. (Angela Johnston/CBC)

The Canadian military has landed in Gillam, Man., and will join the search for two young homicide suspects in Northen Manitoba.

The Department of National Defence confirmed in a written statement that a Royal Canadian Air Force CC-130H Hercules aircraft from 435 Transport and Rescue Squadron in Winnipeg will assist with an aerial search.

The statement said an RCMP officer will be on board the aircraft to direct the search and said this remains an RCMP-led effort, with the Royal Canadian Air Force in a support role. The RCMP will determine the area for the air search.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/homicide-northern-bc-manitaba-1.5227846

Almost hourly developments, they are sending the military in.

CBC says maybe someone "not police friendly" has helped them, so one report earlier said maybe someone helped them inadvertently, not knowing who they were.

A real dragnet here.

Yes, this is a big deal but one would not think this big of a deal but I guess it is.

Lastly, the bearded young man, he looks like so many young males, teens still? But Bryer Schmegelsky, he does seem to have that it of strangeness about him to me.

From article:

So, Gillam Manitoba seems way way up there.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:47:59 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

They are going house to house but this brings up in my mind, the ol' movie scenario where law enforcement is knocking on the door looking for someone and the people who answer say "Everything is fine" when actually, the criminal is holed up there. I hope, they can thoroughly investigate the situation.

Police search Northern Manitoba homes, abandoned buildings in pursuit of 2 fugitives
RCMP pursue suspects on ground while military plane joins the search
Dana Hatherly · CBC News · Posted: Jul 28, 2019 1:22 PM CT | Last Updated: an hour ago

RCMP in Northern Manitoba are going door-to-door to check on residents and search for two fugitives wanted in connection to three B.C. homicides. (Gilbert Rowan/CBC)

Police aided by tracking dogs and drones have been going door to door, checking every residence and abandoned building in and around Gillam as townspeople maintain a stressful vigil for the fugitives.

RCMP officers came to Neil Houle's door in Gillam. He said police wanted to see who was in the house and to know if people felt secure.

In addition, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said that it had requested help from the Bear Clan Patrol, an Indigenous-led neighbourhood watch group, and was co-ordinating teams to fly to First Nations communities including Fox Lake Cree Nation, York Factory First Nation, and War Lake First Nation.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/military-police-hunt-two-fugitives-homicide-1.5228181

These boys seem to be the kind to commit suicide imho, if the police are able to close in.... still no sign, one can expect breaking news at any time but it doesn't come. They sure got away from British Colombia a pretty huge distance.

And the dogs are out there, I would almost want to be able to check attics, basements, sheds and so on though, at the same time, I'd respect privacy concerns.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Today looking at this case, and at the pair in Italy that stabbed a police officer to death, I probably make the mistake of blaming it on young people, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

Of course, I don't cheer for these kids for what they've done but I understand in the 1930s when some of their gangsters were on the lamb, I'm thinking specifically of Bonnie and Clyde, some cheered them on to continuing escaping the law. Maybe it was that way with John Dillinger.  Of course, these two apparently committed cold blooded murder.

CBC said late last night, the search has expanded to York Landing but danged if nothing is coming up about them capturing these two.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/york-landing-search-bc-fugitives-1.5228561

Offline TomSea

Canada murder suspects were stopped by constables, let go before manhunt announced, official says
By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Before the two young men were the focus of manhunt that has spanned Canada, the pair were stopped during a routine check as they drove through the reserve of the Tataskweyak Cree Nation in Manitoba, Canada's Global News reported.

Councilor Nathan Neckoway from the Tataskweyak Cree Nation told the news outlet the pair were stopped during a routine check for alcohol in the dry community near Split Lake --located about 150 miles from Gillam -- but were let go when authorities didn't find anything.

“We weren’t aware of their status, of them being wanted,” Neckoway told Global News. “Apparently after they came to our community, that’s when they sent out that wanted [status].”

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/canada-murder-suspects-were-stopped-by-constables-let-go-before-manhunt-announced-official-says

Online berdie

What I read was the only thing they found is polar bears. Really? I didn't know there were polar bears in Canada.

Offline TomSea

I said in the other thread that it wouldn't surprise me that some of this sprang out of jealousy to tell you the truth per the American, Chynee and her boyfriend, the Australian. Nothing to back it up. And then, along the way, the two allegedly killed a 3rd person, an older man. I guess, a burned out car was found.  We know very little, they killed in cold blood so I hope they are captured but it is interesting seeing them allude the law for the time being.  But they don't seem like any Robin Hoods.

And yes, they are back to square one, their leads did not pan out. Follow the story at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation:   https://www.cbc.ca/news
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:49:05 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

What's curious too is we don't know how they "allegedly" killed these people, no mention of guns, no mention of knives, basically nothing. They could have killed them with stones for all they've told us.  Well, there is the photo of one of them holding a gun above, so, yes, they likely shot their victims but it hasn't been clearly stated so.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:16:13 am by TomSea »

Offline thackney

What I read was the only thing they found is polar bears. Really? I didn't know there were polar bears in Canada.

About 70% of the world's polar bears are in Canada.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-polar-bear-population-worldwide-important-facts-and-figures.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online berdie

I didn't know that.  Thank you, @thackney .

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: CANADA: Tourist couple murder: Teenage boys named as suspects (Updates)
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 01:43:38 am »
So all of the BS about First Nation pdple is wrong.

Whole lot of bictimhood, Oppression Olympics going on with this article.
You might want to re read this part.
The Highway of Tears is a 720-kilometre (450 mi) corridor of Highway 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada, which has been the location of many murders and disappearances beginning in 1970. The phrase was coined in 1998 during a vigil held in Terrace, British Columbia for six missing women. There are a disproportionately high number of Indigenous women on the list of victims. Proposed explanations for the years-long endurance of the crimes and the limited progress in identifying culprits include systemic racism, poverty, drug abuse, widespread domestic violence, disconnection with traditional culture and disruption of the family unit through the foster care system and Canadian Indian residential school system.[1][2][3][4] Poverty in particular leads to low rates of car ownership and mobility, thus hitchhiking is often the only way for many to travel vast distances to see family or go to work, school, or seek medical treatment. Another factor leading to abductions and murders is that the area is largely isolated and remote, with soft soil in many areas and carnivorous scavengers to carry away human remains; these factors precipitate violent attacks as perpetrators feel a sense of impunity, privacy and the ability to easily carry out their crimes and hide evidence.[5][6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Tears_murders

Nothing said there to argue with, really, and we have relatives up that way. Some of the social problems are the result of bad choices, but many are the result of Government Policy. Some just come with the territory.

The social problems set the victims up, the geography (makes North Dakota look overpopulated) ensures there is a lot of country to hide a body in, and there is no shortage of scavengers to dispose of the remains.

The international focus only comes after an American and Australian go missing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 01:49:33 am »
Almost hourly developments, they are sending the military in.

CBC says maybe someone "not police friendly" has helped them, so one report earlier said maybe someone helped them inadvertently, not knowing who they were.

A real dragnet here.

Yes, this is a big deal but one would not think this big of a deal but I guess it is.

Lastly, the bearded young man, he looks like so many young males, teens still? But Bryer Schmegelsky, he does seem to have that it of strangeness about him to me.

From article:

So, Gillam Manitoba seems way way up there.
From Split Lake to York Factory is roughly 154 miles, to put the map in perspective.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 10:11:00 pm »
At Fox as well, updates:

RCMP divers search Manitoba river after damaged boat found in hunt for B.C. fugitives
Police enlisting divers a few days after RCMP began withdrawing officers due to lack of leads
Ian Froese · CBC News · Posted: Aug 04, 2019 12:25 PM CT | Last Updated: 23 minutes ago

Members of the RCMP Underwater Recovery Team prepare to explore a section of the Nelson River on Sunday after a damaged aluminum boat was discovered. (Angela Johnston/CBC)

Underwater divers have been deployed to a northern Manitoba river where a damaged aluminum boat may provide some clue to the whereabouts of two suspects wanted in connection to three B.C. homicides.

Searchers on a helicopter spotted the boat on the shore of the Nelson River on Friday afternoon, RCMP said on Sunday.

Based on the discovery, five members of the Underwater Recovery Team will "conduct a thorough underwater search of significant areas of interest today," the RCMP said in a news release.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rcmp-gillam-underwater-search-manhunt-1.5236125

So what are they thinking? That they drowned? Or at least, possibly? It sounds that way to me.

Canadian police sending 'highly trained' dive team to search for fugitive murder suspects
By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Authorities in Canada are deploying a specialized dive team to search a section of river in a remote and rugged part of northern Manitoba as they continue the hunt for two young men suspected in the killings of three people that has spawned a nationwide search.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Manitoba said the agency's underwater recovery team was arriving in Gillam on Saturday night and divers will begin to search a section of the Nelson River on Sunday.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/canada-murder-suspects-dive-team-manhunt-manitoba

This was an image the CBC, Canadian Broadcasting ran this past week, the family of Chynaa, the woman, don't want this story to be forgotten and want the fugitives caught. Also, the male, Lucas Fowler was remembered in a memorial service this past week:

They have dogs and so on after the two, it's hard to see them surviving such a man hunt, law enforcement surely checking every house, cabin and so on.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lucas-fowler-funeral-australia-1.5234118   (The earlier article)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:58:57 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 10:12:10 pm »
RCMP find items linked to B.C. homicide suspects on northern Manitoba shoreline

Large police presence remains in Gillam and Fox Lake Cree Nation, chief says
Austin Grabish · CBC News · Posted: Aug 06, 2019 9:21 AM CT

Manitoba RCMP say they have found several items linked to B.C. homicide suspects Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky on a shoreline in northern Manitoba.

Police said Tuesday that several items were located on the shore of the Nelson River on Friday, about nine kilometres from where a burnt-out vehicle used by the suspects was found last month. (Police had earlier said the items were discovered Saturday, but later issued a correction.)

The vehicle police said was used by McLeod and Schmegelsky was found on July 22, about 40 kilometres from the town of Gillam and near Fox Lake Cree Nation.

More at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fugitive-manhunt-manitoba-1.5237174

Might be a break in this case....

From above page, a summation, lengthy:

Online berdie

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
I just saw on the internet that they found two bodies on the bank of this river that the authorities think are these guys. No report of how they died yet.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 08:33:56 pm »
I just saw on the internet that they found two bodies on the bank of this river that the authorities think are these guys. No report of how they died yet.

Thank you very much. Well, I've been following this story really closely.

Thank you both.

They searched that area real well, didn't find anything from about a week ago, considered it a failure but then, about 4 days ago returned to that area in Northern Manitoba near "Gillam".
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:35:41 pm by TomSea »

Online berdie

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 08:40:53 pm »
Thank you very much. Well, I've been following this story really closely.

Thank you both.

They searched that area real well, didn't find anything from about a week ago, considered it a failure but then, about 4 days ago returned to that area in Northern Manitoba near "Gillam".

YW @TomSea I've followed it closely as well and your posts have been a huge help.  I just hope it is them.

Online rustynail

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 09:18:27 pm »
Black fly picnic.