Author Topic: Report: Bernie cut campaign staff hours after they demanded $15/hour minimum wage  (Read 214 times)

rangerrebew

Report: Bernie cut campaign staff hours after they demanded $15/hour minimum wage

Posted by Mike LaChance      Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 10:00am

He cut their hours.

Rachel Frazin of The Hill provides some background:

Sanders campaign staff fighting for $15 minimum wage he pushed nationally: report

Workers for Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) 2020 presidential campaign are reportedly pushing for higher wages as the candidate urges support for a nationwide $15 an hour minimum wage.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/07/report-bernie-cut-campaign-staff-hours-rather-than-pay-15-hour-minimum-wage-he-wants-others-to-pay/

Online Right_in_Virginia

FTA

From Brianne Pfannenstiel at the Des Moines Register:

Sanders said field organizers, who are the lowest-ranking members of a presidential campaign and are typically in their 20s, make $36,000 a year with 100% employer-paid health care, as well as paid vacation and sick leave.

For a staffer working 40 hours a week, that comes out to about $17 an hour. But 40-hour workweeks on presidential campaigns are rare. Sanders said the campaign will limit the number of hours staffers work to 42 or 43 each week to ensure they’re making the equivalent of $15 an hour. 

So, he's cutting the pay to $15 an hour for full time staffers instead of raising the hourly rate for part time staffers to $15 an hour?  Do I have this right?  Seriously, I'm confused. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
FTA

So, he's cutting the pay to $15 an hour for full time staffers instead of raising the hourly rate for part time staffers to $15 an hour?  Do I have this right?  Seriously, I'm confused.

It's confusing because the Register reporter doesn't fully understand the difference between "wages" and "salary."  Those of us who've actually worked for a living learn that the first day on the job.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: