Author Topic: Sous-vide cookers will prepare your food perfectly — but here’s why I don’t want one  (Read 929 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Business Insider by Megan Willett Jun. 1, 2016

For starters, I'm terrible at planning my meals ahead of time, and that's exactly what a sous-vide requires. If you want to set up your precision cooker to prepare dinner while you're at work, you need to first place the food in an ice bath to keep it cool. The Anova has an app that alerts you when once the water gets too warm and it's time to start cooking your meat, eggs, or veggies.

But that's a lot of work. Unlike a crock pot, which only requires you to throw in ingredients and set how long they should cook, with a sous-vide, you need to set up the ice bath, ready your Anova (and make sure it's connected to Bluetooth and WiFi), then keep an eye on the app to make sure your food starts cooking at the right time.

Plus, it's a slow process — recipes call for one to four hours to sous vide a chicken breast, while a typical chicken recipe calls for about half an hour in the oven or less than 15 minutes on the stove. I want a tool that helps me cook faster so that I can eat sooner; a sous-vide slows me down.

Using a sous-vide cooker also means you lose the experience of cooking. You don't get to smell, taste or tinker the way you can when cooking on a stove or grill. This sensory deprivation while the food sits in roiling water may not bother everyone, but I certainly didn't like it.

However, there are many positive aspects of a sous-vide cooker. It allows you to cook things at a consistent temperature, which ensures your food is perfectly tender and safe to eat. It can make amazing steak, great chicken, and even helped me make the most perfect poached egg of my life.

More: https://www.businessinsider.com/should-i-buy-a-sous-vide-2016-5

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To each his own, I guess.  I like my Anova quite a bit, maybe because I am not a chef, but like my steaks perfectly cooked. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

I have an online friend who's just mad about her Joule sous vide. They even made her admin of their Facebook page, I believe. I've seen all the personal accounts and photos of fabulous meals prepared with them, but just have no interest. My culinary degree pretty well prepared me in all the cooking techniques needed at the moment.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rustynail

Is sous-vide  good over the sink?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Is sous-vide  good over the sink?

Everything is good over the sink.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

I have an online friend who's just mad about her Joule sous vide. They even made her admin of their Facebook page, I believe. I've seen all the personal accounts and photos of fabulous meals prepared with them, but just have no interest. My culinary degree pretty well prepared me in all the cooking techniques needed at the moment.

I suppose it's fine and all... Just a crazy long way to do it...

I have done reverse-sear from time to time... Oven bake at low heat (say 275), using a meat thermometer to pull it out according to internal temp... Then run it over to the grill and put a sear on it to finish... Now, don't get me wrong - That method gives you a really nice steak - wall-to-wall perfect pink, evenly done... But what a PIA.

If I am going to wait that dang long, I am going to put it in the smoke, for pete's sake.
And if there is smoke, there IS nothing else. Period.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I'm in your friend's group, even though I use an Anova.  Good tips.
I will NOT comply.