Author Topic: Buzz Aldrin took Holy Communion, read Bible verse on moon, says let’s ‘Keep America Great In Space!’  (Read 270 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Buzz Aldrin took Holy Communion, read Bible verse on moon, says let’s ‘Keep America Great In Space!’
BizPac Review, Jul 20, 2019

As the United States of America celebrates the 50th anniversary of our historic moon landing, we are looking at the two men at the heart of that mission: Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. While we know who took the first steps onto the lunar surface and who planted the flag, a little known fact is that Aldrin was the first man to celebrate religious sacrament while outside our planet’s atmosphere.

An ordained Presbyterian elder, Aldrin believed that the space expedition transcended the contributions of man. Beyond the computers and numbers and rockets, the decision to explore space and land on the moon was also guided by a Holy hand. This is why he – along with Webster Presbyterian Pastor Dean Woodruff – decided to celebrate the contributions of God following touchdown.

“I wondered if it might be possible to take communion on the moon,” Aldrin wrote in a piece for Guideposts, “symbolizing the thought that God was revealing Himself there, too, as man reached out into the universe. For there are many of us in the NASA program who do trust that what we are doing is part of God’s eternal plan for man.”

Aldrin revealed that every astronaut is allowed to take a “personal preference kit” with them on their travels, and his included Holy Communion. A small, plastic-wrapped wafer, some wine, and a little silver chalice provided by Woodruff and the Presbyterian church were included in his kit, along with a notecard upon which John 15:5 was written.

Read more:  https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/07/20/buzz-aldrin-took-holy-communion-read-bible-verse-on-moon-says-lets-keep-america-great-in-space-776707

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I didn't know all of this.  Pretty wonderful.   happy77

Offline skeeter

I didn't know all of this.  Pretty wonderful.   happy77

Yes it is. It seems like something that should've been reported, the same as every other 'first'.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It is wonderful and I wonder why we never heard this before?