Author Topic: This university's speech guidelines now call 'American' a forbidden word  (Read 1012 times)

rangerrebew

July 20, 2019
This university's speech guidelines now call 'American' a forbidden word
By Eric Utter

Colorado State University's online Inclusive Language Guide lists a plethora of words and phrases that should never be used by decent, tolerant, woke folk.  Better still, it provides substitute words and phrases to help "communicators practice inclusive language" while ensuring that everyone on its campus feels "welcomed, respected and valued."

The list includes the always problematic "male," "female," and "ladies and gentlemen," as well as "Mr./Mrs./Ms."  (Time flies.  It wasn't all that long ago that "Ms." was a hip, progressive, feminist term.  Ms. was woke before woke was cool.)  The guide helpfully points out that "male and female refers to biological sex and not gender" and proceeds to haughtily lecture readers that "n terms of communication methods (articles, social media, etc.), we very rarely need to identify or know a person's biological sex and more often are referring to gender."  Call me old-fashioned, but, whether "in terms of communication methods" or otherwise, I have found it helpful at times in my life to "identify or know" a person's biological sex.  This has been especially true when trying to reproduce.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/this_universitys_speech_guidelines_now_call_american_a_forbidden_word.html#ixzz5uDOfesTh

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
July 20, 2019
This university's speech guidelines now call 'American' a forbidden word
By Eric Utter

The guide helpfully points out that "male and female refers to biological sex and not gender"

@rangerrebew

Say WHAT????

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

I commented on Twitter that the parents of CSU students should stop paying tuition with those immoral, hateful, divisive American dollars.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline The_Reader_David

@rangerrebew

Say WHAT????

Gender is a grammatical term, there being three genders in most languages, masculine, feminine and neuter (though French makes do with just the first two).  The Victorians got squeamish about saying "sex", so they decided that since in English males are referred to by masculine pronouns (the only place where grammatical gender survived the simplification from Old English to Modern English), females (and ships) by feminine pronouns, and things (other than ships) by neuter pronouns, that they could replace "sex" with "gender" in polite conversation -- a mistake, as we now see since gender really is a matter of convention, and we now have nonsense like restrooms, locker rooms and sport being segregated not by sex, which is how they have been separated from time immemorial, but by "gender".
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I commented on Twitter that the parents of CSU students should stop paying tuition with those immoral, hateful, divisive American dollars.
Nah. Hand deliver it, all in ones, with "America" underlined on each bill. For extra credit circle "In God We Trust".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Nah. Hand deliver it, all in ones, with "America" underlined on each bill. For extra credit circle "In God We Trust".

@Smokin Joe

The last I heard,it is a violation of federal law to deface US currency.

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

The last I heard,it is a violation of federal law to deface US currency.
So that's why cops mark bills.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So that's why cops mark bills.

@Smokin Joe

Some pigs are more equal than other pigs.

The saddest part is the above sentence is decades old and still applies.

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Some pigs are more equal than other pigs.

The saddest part is the above sentence is decades old and still applies.
True dat.

C S Lewis