Author Topic: Pa. parents told they could lose kids over unpaid school lunches  (Read 2773 times)

Offline mountaineer

Pa. parents told they could lose kids over unpaid school lunches
Associated Press
Friday, July 19, 2019 2:59 p.m.

KINGSTON — A Pennsylvania school district is warning that children could end up in foster care if their parents do not pay overdue school lunch bills.

The letters sent recently to about 1,000 parents in Wyoming Valley West School District have led to complaints from parents and a stern rebuke from Luzerne County child welfare authorities.  ...

“You can be sent to dependency court for neglecting your child’s right to food. The result may be your child being taken from your home and placed in foster care,” the letter read.  ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Bill Cipher

Re: Pa. parents told they could lose kids over unpaid school lunches
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:16:27 pm »
Geez

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 11:24:57 pm »
You can be sent to dependency court for neglecting your child’s right to food.
When I was a senior in high school (age 17, so not yet adult), I never once ate a school lunch. Sometimes I'd get an ice cream sandwich, but that was it. Good thing these people weren't around to harass my parents over my malnourished state.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 11:32:15 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 11:39:13 pm »
Pack your kids' own damned lunches.

It's a school, not a restaurant.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 01:54:06 am »
Every student in my county's schools gets free lunches, even those from wealthy families. Well, free for them. Not free for us non-parents footing the bill.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 03:16:06 am »
I don't believe legally the school district can have the authorities remove children from their parents and place them in foster care over an unpaid school lunch bill. 

If I had my druthers, school districts would not have a feeding program for the kiddies at all.  When I was in elementary school, we kids brought our lunches.  It wasn't until I was in junior high  that the school district had a cafeteria and we kids were required to eat those putrid school lunches.  No brown bagging.  The cost in those days was 35 cents and we paid the cashier at the end of the lunch line.  No one ate for free back then. 

Today, this district not only serves lunch, but breakfast and an after-school snack.  Since this town is "distressed," the few taxpayers like myself who are left foot the bill for the vast majority of kids on public assistance and food stamps. 

If the lumps in DC were serious about curbing runaway spending, they would eliminate these feeding programs.  If you have kids, pack a lunch for them and feed them breakfast and other meals at home.  My parents  weren't wealthy, but they  made sure we kids were fed.  They did not abdicate their responsibility to the "gubmint."  High time our government forced today's parents to do the same.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:49:48 am »
I don't believe legally the school district can have the authorities remove children from their parents and place them in foster care over an unpaid school lunch bill. 

If I had my druthers, school districts would not have a feeding program for the kiddies at all.  When I was in elementary school, we kids brought our lunches.  It wasn't until I was in junior high  that the school district had a cafeteria and we kids were required to eat those putrid school lunches.  No brown bagging.  The cost in those days was 35 cents and we paid the cashier at the end of the lunch line.  No one ate for free back then. 

Today, this district not only serves lunch, but breakfast and an after-school snack.  Since this town is "distressed," the few taxpayers like myself who are left foot the bill for the vast majority of kids on public assistance and food stamps. 

If the lumps in DC were serious about curbing runaway spending, they would eliminate these feeding programs.  If you have kids, pack a lunch for them and feed them breakfast and other meals at home.  My parents  weren't wealthy, but they  made sure we kids were fed.  They did not abdicate their responsibility to the "gubmint."  High time our government forced today's parents to do the same.
My experience is the same as yours (right down to the 35 cent lunch). My school district serves at least breakfast and lunch, and of course they have feeding programs through the summer. I would bet $5 these same parents are receiving SNAP, so what the heck food are they getting at the grocery store that they can't feed any of it to their own children?

My grandparents during the Great Depression somehow managed to feed their children - my parents, aunts and uncles - and without gubmint help.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:44:42 pm »
Food served in school cafeterias is horrible on a good day.  I had money every day to buy the lunch, but I would go without 3-4 days each week and get ice cream/snack.  This was a suburban school district in PA.

The food was sh*t most days.