Author Topic: New border plan: Migrants get 15 days to prove asylum claim — or leave  (Read 356 times)

rangerrebew

New border plan: Migrants get 15 days to prove asylum claim — or leave

by Paul Bedard
| July 18, 2019 07:47 AM

Frustrated with the nonstop surge of illegal immigrants pouring over the U.S.-Mexico border, a new and bipartisan solution has emerged to give migrant families 15 days to prove they deserve asylum or be sent home.

Called “Operation Safe Return” and proposed by the influential Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, it would provide migrants with legal and medical attention, translators, and multiple hearings with officials to prove they had “credible fear” of returning home, the key to winning asylum.

But if they are denied credible fear by a judge the migrants would be sent home.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...claim-or-leave

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'll wait until a Federal Judge in Hawaii decides it it's OK.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bilo

I'll wait until a Federal Judge in Hawaii decides it it's OK.

LOL

Pretty sad, but true.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline GrouchoTex

I couldn't click on the link to read the whole thing.

This  may be just an opening negotiation.
If it gets negotiated to 30 days, it would be better than where we are now.

Curious though:

Where will this "burden of Proof" lie?
Is burden now is for the US to prove there is or is not grounds for Asylum?
If it is on the individual claiming it, what happens next?
If the individual gets his proof of his cause within 15 days of arrival, how long of a period will the Court have to investigate the validity?
What happens if they cannot meet that time frame?
If we demand asylum claims in 15 days, would the government have to produce evidence against it in a certain time frame?
Would they be granted asylum if the government could not?
Is the individual held in detention while they work this out, or, like now, are they released?

I want to see the asylum loopholes closed, to be sure, but not at the risk of creating different loopholes.
You know, the law of unintended consequences, and all that.