Author Topic: Comey Comes For Trump Supporters, ‘We Must Send Trump and His Mob Back to Their Dark Corner’  (Read 2852 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
   I'll admit my shortcomings @DCPatriot and I have quite a few but common sense is not one of them (other than dealing with Women).

Common sense won't help you there @corbe.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

I just need better judgment of character when it comes to Women, not Cabinet Picks. 
   I seem easily blinded by the headlights, if you know what I mean? @Bigun
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Cruz was correct in every criticism of Trump.   Evidently trashing Heidi Cruz was just fine with Cruz.  Anything to be in the light of the master. Ugh.

What are you talking about?  Cruz hit back at him for that.  Thought not in Trump style.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:44:46 am by Sanguine »

Offline roamer_1

But if the "GOP elites" torpedo Trump, I will never vote for another Republican again. 

@Maj. Bill Martin
That's really funny, because I quit the GOP back in 07 for exactly that reason - Only it was over a REAL Conservative in the form of Duncan Hunter Sr. who backed actual conservative principles...

And somehow I am wrong for it and 'sitting on the sidelines'...

Yeah that's a laugh riot, right there.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

Trump may be a blowhard, but it's precisely what we need right now.   Milquetoast Republicans aren't going to get it done.

And neither is a blowhard. That's the point.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

Bull.  What has doomed conservatism is voting again and again for the RINO's in Congress who pretend they are conservative, yet vote along with the DEMS.  The Jeb's, Kasich's, Rubio's, McCain's, Ryans, McConnells, Romneys, and those like them, have doomed conservatism.  Fortunately the biggest culprit is no longer alive to continue to wreak his havoc on the GOP.  Kasich and Jeb are pretty much out to pasture ... unfortunately, though, a little too late, I'm afraid.  Had McCain, Ryan, McConnell and the rest of the RINO's been voted out long ago, we'd be looking at a major victory at the border and a sure victory in 2020.

That is the bare truth, and solid fact, that this messianic fervor over one man refuses to acknowledge.
Tump and what he represents are the product of that lesser evil pragmatism that has hamstrung the congress itself. NOTHING will be fixed by Tump because it ALL has to be fixed by a conservative congress - not a Republican one, a Conservative one... Would an actual Conservative president help in that condition? Absolutely. But Tump has neither going for him.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
   I'll admit my shortcomings @DCPatriot and I have quite a few but common sense is not one of them (other than dealing with Women).

happy77     
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Frist off, @Maj. Bill Martin , I want to tell you that I always enjoy reading your sober, well thought-out posts.  We may disagree,  but I respect you as one of the leading lights of this board.

What I advocate is not a pipe dream.   I am indeed thinking of the LBJ scenario where voices within the party convinced Johnson to not run for re-nomination,  but to allow the party to run a less politically toxic candidate who could continue LBJ's policies.   

Now I agree with you that Trump won't listen to the likes of Mitt Romney or other members of the NeverTrump chorus.    But what if the appeal were to come from Mitch McConnell?   McConnell, as leader of the Senate,  could convey his view that, if Trump is the nominee,  GOP control of the Senate is likely lost,  and with that Trump's policies would be reversed and repudiated,  and his legacy ruined.    I consider Trump to be unconventional,  but nevertheless an intelligent and rational man.    I think he believes - with justification - that he has accomplished some great things,  and been a voice and advocate for the hitherto disparaged and voiceless.    His legacy, his policies, are important to him.   And he is not a professional politician,  but rather a patriotic citizen,  and as such is persuadable to reason that the best way to finish what he started is to pass the baton to another.

As I've noted before,  his successor must be an ally, not a NeverTrump gadfly.   Someone like Nikki Haley or Liz Cheney,   who've stood with the President.    Someone who can pledge to his supporters that he/she is determined to move forward with his agenda without all the angst and drama.   And who can appeal to the swing voters that any successful Republican candidate will need. 

Indeed,  given the booming economy and the Dems' radicalism,  the right GOP nominee can maybe even regain both the House and Senate for the party.    That can help protect Trump from the jackals who want to ruin any semblance of a happy return to private life.     

@Jazzhead

First, I very much appreciate the kind words.  And I agree with the desirability of your endgame -- Nikki Haley would curb-stomp anyone in the Democrat field.  If Mitch McConnell could actually accomplish that without starting an internal GOP civil war, great.  But I just don't see that as remotely likely.

I can see why you picked McConnell -- because he has preserved a generally positive relationship with Trump.  But he has preserved that positive relationship by only very rarely crossing/criticizing him.  Trump may be rational and intelligent, but he also is wildly egocentric, and has a consistent pattern of turning on anyone he perceives as doubting him or otherwise being disloyal.  I don't think that's even arguable.

In other words, the second Mitch McConnell would raise to Trump the suggestion that he can't win because he's said too much stupid shit and offended too many people (and he obviously wouldn't use those words, but that's the gist of what he'd be saying), and should step aside for someone else, Trump would completely turn on him.  He'd throw right back in McConnell's face that was the same thing people were saying back in 2016...and he'd be actually right about about.  It's worth nothing again -- Trump's 2016 victory despite what all the pollsters were saying, despite all the claims that the GOP would get crushed in Congressional races because Trump would drag them down, etc., guaranteed that he'd never listen to anyone tell him he can't win in 2020.  And if McConnell and others point to the 2018 midterms, Trump would say that happened because 1) the President's party always loses seats in the midterms, and 2) the GOP Congress betrayed voters by failing to pass funding for the wall, failing to repeal ObamaCare, etc.. .  He'd (again rightly) point to all the opinion polls showing that he's more popular than is McConnell or Senate Republicans. 

Whether those arguments can be countered logically is beside the point.  There is enough there for Trump to believe that the problem is with the GOP Congress and bogus pollsters, not with him, and that he believes he will win again.  And honestly...which sounds more like the Donald Trump we've been watching for the past 4 years?  The guy who would listen to McConnell, say "you're right, I've screwed up really badly and I guess I can't win", and then graciously bow out?  Or the guy who would tell McConnell to go f*** himself, say the problem is congressional Republicans and not him, and that he's going to prove the pollsters wrong again in 2020? 

I've never seen that first version of Trump, but I sure as hell have seen the second.

Maybe the argument is "well, there's no harm in trying", but I think the almost certain harm is driving a major wedge between Trump and McConnell.  We'd likely get a cringeworthy tweet storm about how horrible McConnell and Congressional Republicans are, and the strengthening of a bunker mindset in Trump himself.  That would absolutely thrill the Democrats, and they'd use all of that to emphasize to voters that even Trump's own party hates him.  I think it could be a disaster and put us in an even worse position for 2020.

I do think McConnell or others could get away with simply praising Nikki Haley, and observing to Trump how great she is and that she'd likely make a great Presidential candidate "someday" whom the Democrats would fear.  I wouldn't be shocked to learn that something like that already has happened, or even that Trump himself made that kind of observation.  But trying to convince Trump himself to resign in her favor would likely backfire hugely, and might even lead him to turn on her.

tl;dr, I just don't see it as a remotely realistic scenario.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

That's really funny, because I quit the GOP back in 07 for exactly that reason - Only it was over a REAL Conservative in the form of Duncan Hunter Sr. who backed actual conservative principles...

And somehow I am wrong for it and 'sitting on the sidelines'...

Yeah that's a laugh riot, right there.  *****rollingeyes*****

@roamer_1

Republicans have always disagreed about who should be our nominee -- that's why we have primaries.  And a primary is going to have winners and losers.  I generally don't begrudge the party for nominating someone other than my preferred candidate because the nature of a first past the post election system is that you have to compromise.  If your guy doesn't have enough votes to win the primary...them's the breaks.  That's not the fault of the party itself, but rather that of your fellow Republican primary voters who didn't vote for the guy.

But I think it's a much different situation when elected GOP politicians are talking about sabotaging a sitting Republican President, and especially if they won't vote for him in the general election, or will even vote for the Democrat.  In my mind, GOP politicians (as opposed to just ordinary voters) who do that are unworthy of getting GOP voter support when they run for office.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:46:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Republicans have always disagreed about who should be our nominee -- that's why we have primaries.  And a primary is going to have winners and losers. 

@Maj. Bill Martin
No, Duncan Hunter was unfairly shut out, just as he was hitting the South, where he would reverberate. They shut him out, even though he was one of the candidates that actually won a state primary. They wanted McCain't and boy did that get him.

But they did not get me. Seeya.

But I think it's a much different situation when elected GOP politicians are talking about sabotaging a sitting Republican President, and especially if they won't vote for him in the general election, or will even vote for the Democrat.  In my mind, GOP politicians (as opposed to just ordinary voters) who do that are unworthy of getting GOP voter support when they run for office.

No skin off my nose - Though it almost was... Cruz was as close as I've come in more than a decade... First presidential candidate that I organized and poured money to for a long, long time.

But as to your question, it happens all the time under the office of president, so why should the president be immune? and How exactly do you mount a primary campaign against a sitting president if all you can do is compliment him? Of course the president is not above speech... And of course a president should be called on the carpet by his party - I would prefer it if it happened more.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:08:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The defeatism in this thread is absurd.  Trump has rough edges, but those that support him are completely behind him.  We are not a mob, and many of us in fact are highly educated.

I think he is 100% right on the Anarchist Four!  Who the hell does Ilhan Omar think she is to criticize this great nation coming from a sh*t nation like Somalia?  She is clueless, and a grave danger to this nation, as well as the other three idiots.  Fortunately, few are listening to these morons.  It has nothing to do with their skin color, their religion, and it has everything to do with their policies and mindset on the USA, and the issues at hand.  The communities that have elected these fools have already suffered.  You think the folks of AOC's district aren't pissed because she sunk the Amazon deal?  What an idiot!

Trump stepped forward to represent America and the American people.  Can anyone here detail just one issue Clinton had that benefited America or the American people?  No.

The clown car we are being entertained by, not a single one of them stand a chance against Trump.  Not Biden, certainly not Harris or Booker, and not that moron Sanders.  Yes, they all resonate with the college crowd because of free education, but remember...young people do not vote in large numbers.

While I would welcome an opponent against Trump in the GOP with the right issues, there is no one.  Romney is a legend in his own mind, and a proven LOSER.  What a dope!  And Cruz, enough of you sing his praises, but he is a rat.  What he did to Ben Carson in Iowa was a warning to America.  Stay away from this boob.  He was lucky to win his seat in Texas against gumby, another total fool who is at 0% right now.  ZERO!

Trump takes the primary easily.  He wins the general by a larger margin than in 2016, count on it.  The only person that might foil that outcome is Clinton.  She did well in 2016, and would have won with a few changes in her campaign, like making appearances in PA, OH, WI, MI, NC, and FL.  And having just one or two compelling issues to benefit the American people.  She had nothing.  It was Trump that fully framed the issues in 2016.

I say Clinton announces, in Sept/Oct, and arrives on the scene like Joan of Arc.  And she is received very favorably because the clown car is nothing short of disgusting.  Trump however has four years of being president, and he does have results on his side.  The whole racist thing is idiotic, for Trump has done more for minorities in this country than the last eight presidents combined.  It the Democommie push this issue, they truly are dumber than a box of rocks.

I expect Trump will win by a larger margin, even if it is Clinton.  I expect more seats for the GOP in the Senate, but most likely not leading to the elusive 60 vote majority needed.  And the House will return to the GOP, narrowly perhaps.  It depends on how much time Trump campaigns for Reps.  Those he campaigns for will get elected/re-elected.

My concern between now and the time he takes his oath in 2021 is the threat to his well being.  He has so many enemies, they could pull a JFK on him. 

I believe there is a very good chance the GOP will be in a better numbers position then they were after 2016.

The nonsense of the Dems winning the Senate is absurd.  Get a grip folks!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The defeatism in this thread is absurd.  Trump has rough edges, but those that support him are completely behind him.  We are not a mob, and many of us in fact are highly educated.

I think he is 100% right on the Anarchist Four!  Who the hell does Ilhan Omar think she is to criticize this great nation coming from a sh*t nation like Somalia?  She is clueless, and a grave danger to this nation, as well as the other three idiots.  Fortunately, few are listening to these morons.  It has nothing to do with their skin color, their religion, and it has everything to do with their policies and mindset on the USA, and the issues at hand.  The communities that have elected these fools have already suffered.  You think the folks of AOC's district aren't pissed because she sunk the Amazon deal?  What an idiot!

Trump stepped forward to represent America and the American people.  Can anyone here detail just one issue Clinton had that benefited America or the American people?  No.

The clown car we are being entertained by, not a single one of them stand a chance against Trump.  Not Biden, certainly not Harris or Booker, and not that moron Sanders.  Yes, they all resonate with the college crowd because of free education, but remember...young people do not vote in large numbers.

While I would welcome an opponent against Trump in the GOP with the right issues, there is no one.  Romney is a legend in his own mind, and a proven LOSER.  What a dope!  And Cruz, enough of you sing his praises, but he is a rat.  What he did to Ben Carson in Iowa was a warning to America.  Stay away from this boob.  He was lucky to win his seat in Texas against gumby, another total fool who is at 0% right now.  ZERO!

Trump takes the primary easily.  He wins the general by a larger margin than in 2016, count on it.  The only person that might foil that outcome is Clinton.  She did well in 2016, and would have won with a few changes in her campaign, like making appearances in PA, OH, WI, MI, NC, and FL.  And having just one or two compelling issues to benefit the American people.  She had nothing.  It was Trump that fully framed the issues in 2016.

I say Clinton announces, in Sept/Oct, and arrives on the scene like Joan of Arc.  And she is received very favorably because the clown car is nothing short of disgusting.  Trump however has four years of being president, and he does have results on his side.  The whole racist thing is idiotic, for Trump has done more for minorities in this country than the last eight presidents combined.  It the Democommie push this issue, they truly are dumber than a box of rocks.

I expect Trump will win by a larger margin, even if it is Clinton.  I expect more seats for the GOP in the Senate, but most likely not leading to the elusive 60 vote majority needed.  And the House will return to the GOP, narrowly perhaps.  It depends on how much time Trump campaigns for Reps.  Those he campaigns for will get elected/re-elected.

My concern between now and the time he takes his oath in 2021 is the threat to his well being.  He has so many enemies, they could pull a JFK on him. 

I believe there is a very good chance the GOP will be in a better numbers position then they were after 2016.

The nonsense of the Dems winning the Senate is absurd.  Get a grip folks!

@jafo2010 I always suspected that you had more than three-word opinions.  Glad to see you do. 

I mostly agree with what you have said here, but one question - what exactly was it that "he did to Ben Carson in Iowa"?  If you can't get the smaller things right, you won't get the larger ones right.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Sanguine....story on Cruz and his team

https://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/02/05/ben-carson-campaign-releases-tape-of-ted-cruz-worker-spreading-rumors/

Cruz is a rat...a conservative rat, with limited integrity.

Bullshit.  You do know that that story has been repeatedly debunked?  Again, if you believe small lies, you will believe larger ones.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Bullshit.  You do know that that story has been repeatedly debunked?  Again, if you believe small lies, you will believe larger ones.

Folks will tend to believe the worst stories about people they already dislike because it fits their internal template.  I remember a story back in 2016 that Ted Cruz can't be elected because of the shape of his mouth.  Psycho Today, I think was the source.  Lefties lapped that up like a hummingbird loves sugar water.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: