Author Topic: Obama’s 40% ‘Cadillac Tax’ Repealed in Landslide Vote  (Read 439 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Aside from the individual mandate that required all Americans to purchase health insurance or pay a fine, the most onerous provision of the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, was the so-called “Cadillac tax” on generous private health insurance policies.

The 40 percent tax on top-tier, so-called “Cadillac” private or employer-offered health insurance plans, such as those with extensive benefits and added perks not generally offered in a standard package, was intended to keep health care costs down by discouraging those expensive plans.

The tax was widely unpopular on a bipartisan basis from the start, and now the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives has overwhelming voted to repeal the tax, according to The Hill.

The measure passed the House by a margin of 419-6 and will now head to the Republican-controlled Senate.

The only ones still defending the Cadillac tax now are economists focused on health care, who continue to insist that the tax would help keep health care costs down by capping private health insurance policies.

Perhaps more than any other provision of Obamacare, the Cadillac tax revealed the true goal of the law that overhauled the nation’s health care system: wealth redistribution.
https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/obamas-40-cadillac-tax-repealed-landslide-vote/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Unions opposed the Cadillac tax,  because gold-plated health plans are one of the things they promote to their membership.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

Typical Congress BS.  They cut the revenue stream without cutting the things that revenue was being spent on.  Meanwhile, I am still forced to pay for coverage I don't want, and subsidize insurance for other though higher deductibles.  What part of 'Get the federal government the hell out of the insurance market' do these people not get?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Democrats LOVE re-distributing things as long as it is your things being re-distributed.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Typical Congress BS.  They cut the revenue stream without cutting the things that revenue was being spent on.  Meanwhile, I am still forced to pay for coverage I don't want, and subsidize insurance for other though higher deductibles.  What part of 'Get the federal government the hell out of the insurance market' do these people not get?

That revenue stream never materialized.    The Caddy tax kept getting delayed and delayed, and is now finally dead.   It was, however, originally intended to provide revenue to support the O-Care subsidies, so you're right that those subsidies are now just paid for with your and my tax dollars.   

Offline Hoodat

Democrats LOVE re-distributing things as long as it is your things being re-distributed.

107% of every federal income tax dollar paid is redistributed as a direct cash payment to someone else.  Yes, you read that right - 107%.  This means that after every single federal income tax dollar is redistributed, they have to go somewhere else to find the additional 7% to hand out.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

Good riddance to a tax. Though I probably had "Cadillac" plans at a couple of employers I have never been in a union. For which I have been grateful. At one of those jobs I contributed to the plan's cost through paycheck deductions. Those skyrocketed after OhBummer! Care passed. Between this tax - probably - and changes to the plan to make it Obama-Don't-Care-compliant, OhBummer! Care cost me an extra couple of thousand each year, additive. Basically it wiped out each year's merit raise, not the best incentive to work well and hard, though I did because that's what I do.

No system that involves human beings is going to be without problems, but OhBummer! Care created problems without solving any.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Unions opposed the Cadillac tax,  because gold-plated health plans are one of the things they promote to their membership.   

Is it true that union standard levels of benefits, become the standard for government employees' plans?

Then the costs ofthose expensive plans become the costs born by taxpayers?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Is it true that union standard levels of benefits, become the standard for government employees' plans?

Then the costs ofthose expensive plans become the costs born by taxpayers?

The problem with public sector unions is that they don't face, across the negotiating table, a party concerned with controlling costs.    The management of a corporation is answerable to the board which is answerable to shareholders.  That promotes consideration of long-term costs.    But politicians know they only need to kick the can to the set of politicos that will follow them, so long-term costs aren't their problem.   The more immediate concern is labor piece, so they tend to capitulate without considering the interest of "shareholders" - that is, taxpayers.   

Offline Hoodat

I was at the doctor's office yesterday getting fitted for a CPAC machine.  She was showing me all the brand new equipment.  I asked her how this was being paid for.  She replied that it was on a rent-to-own basis that the insurance company covers.   I stopped her right there and asked if we could pretend for a moment that I was the customer here and not the insurance company.  I asked her that if I was paying for this out of pocket (which I essentially was because of impossibly high deductibles brought on by the government mandating what is best for me), would I be better off buying my own machine on the open market.  She said, "Yes, you can save hundreds of dollars doing that.  Notify me when you get your machine, and we would be happy to set it up for you".  THIS is what is wrong with our health care system.  I am no longer the customer.  The insurance company is.  And the insurance company tells the doctor, "Sure, it's covered.  We'll pay for it."  At the same time, they tell me, "Sorry, have not yet reached your $12,000 deductible" (which was only $1,000 before the government got involved).  If I had not spoken up and advocated for myself, I would have gotten screwed.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The problem with public sector unions is that they don't face, across the negotiating table, a party concerned with controlling costs.    The management of a corporation is answerable to the board which is answerable to shareholders.  That promotes consideration of long-term costs.    But politicians know they only need to kick the can to the set of politicos that will follow them, so long-term costs aren't their problem.   The more immediate concern is labor piece, so they tend to capitulate without considering the interest of "shareholders" - that is, taxpayers.

Virtually everything having to do with government, is like a monopoly, or solesource contract.

Sure they set it up, in order to claim otherwise, but in the end, it is highly inefficient, extremely costly.

I live next to a public school, that was rebuilt instead of demolishing it to the ground.

The contractor admitted the school board insisted, on taking the most costly option. They go through money like it iswater, since it is continually refilled, by force.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I was at the doctor's office yesterday getting fitted for a CPAC machine.  She was showing me all the brand new equipment.  I asked her how this was being paid for.  She replied that it was on a rent-to-own basis that the insurance company covers.   I stopped her right there and asked if we could pretend for a moment that I was the customer here and not the insurance company.  I asked her that if I was paying for this out of pocket (which I essentially was because of impossibly high deductibles brought on by the government mandating what is best for me), would I be better off buying my own machine on the open market.  She said, "Yes, you can save hundreds of dollars doing that.  Notify me when you get your machine, and we would be happy to set it up for you".  THIS is what is wrong with our health care system.  I am no longer the customer.  The insurance company is.  And the insurance company tells the doctor, "Sure, it's covered.  We'll pay for it."  At the same time, they tell me, "Sorry, have not yet reached your $12,000 deductible" (which was only $1,000 before the government got involved).  If I had not spoken up and advocated for myself, I would have gotten screwed.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen: again!  Spot on correct!  And the same damned thing happens every single time the gooberment tries to manipulate a market!  NEVER fails!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
They were never serious about that tax; it was just one of the gimmicks they included to pad the revenue side to get the fraudulent CBO score they wanted for the bill. The unions were on board with the scheme all along.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
They were never serious about that tax; it was just one of the gimmicks they included to pad the revenue side to get the fraudulent CBO score they wanted for the bill. The unions were on board with the scheme all along.

That is correct, sir.