Author Topic: Sanders: Medicare for All Will Cost $40 Trillion Over 10 Years  (Read 499 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sanders: Medicare for All Will Cost $40 Trillion Over 10 Years
Washington Free Beacon, Jul 16, 2019

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) said on Tuesday that he estimates his Medicare for All plan would cost up to $40 trillion over 10 years.

"Somewhere between $30 and $40 trillion over a 10 year period," Sanders said, contrasting his plan with former vice president Joe Biden, "What the most serious economists tell us, that if we do nothing to fundamentally change the healthcare system, which is what Joe was talking about, keeping it as it is, we'll be spending something like $50 trillion over a 10 year period."

Sanders has previously said he would raise taxes, including for the middle class, that people would be happy to pay more taxes under his healthcare plan, and that "there will be pain" in a transition to a single-payer system.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/sanders-medicare-for-all-will-cost-40-trillion-over-10-years/

Offline LMAO

Re: Sanders: Medicare for All Will Cost $40 Trillion Over 10 Years
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:14:48 am »
This is a typical leftist tactic. The claim that if you don’t spend lots of money now you’re just gonna spend even more down the road. I can promise you that if Medicare for All was enacted, it would cost more than even the most generous of estimates.

Most Medicare patients also have supplemental insurance. I don’t think Bernie Sanders knows that. I also don’t think he knows Medicare for some is already facing  insolvency

His comment of people would be happy to pay more in taxes for his ideas  has been debunked by real world events. If people are happy to pay more taxes, why are middle-class people fleeing states like New York, California,  Illinois...? They tried this as a ballot initiative in Colorado and it went down in flames even amongst Democrats

Bernie needs to get his head into the real world
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:18:37 pm »
"Somewhere between $30 and $40 trillion over a 10 year period," Sanders said,

Ten TRILLION here,ten TRILLION there,and pretty soon,you are talking about real money!

Even in a country with a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:19:43 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
So instead of increasing the money supply by $2 trillion each year, they are going to increase it by $6 trillion each year every year.  What could possibly go wrong with that?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 02:32:15 pm »
So instead of increasing the money supply by $2 trillion each year, they are going to increase it by $6 trillion each year every year.  What could possibly go wrong with that?

****sheep****

I feel sad that my children will probably see the first US generation of Venezuela style poverty.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:46:20 pm »
Per year, that's more than current yearly federal revenues.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:03:19 pm »
And that doesn't count every seriously ill peasant in the world who will come here illegally for the free 6- or 7-figure treatments, soaking up all available medical resources.

Edit> And every geezer in the world who needs $5K/mo long-term care - where will we put them all?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:05:29 pm by Snarknado »
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:16:16 pm »

****sheep****

I feel sad that my children will probably see the first US generation of Venezuela style poverty.

@Chosen Daughter

Not to worry. 40 or 50 Trillion dollars just seems like  a lot of money,but once the Treasury starts printing 1,5,10, and 20 Trillion dollar notes,it won't seem like all that much.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 10:26:53 pm »
@Chosen Daughter

Not to worry. 40 or 50 Trillion dollars just seems like  a lot of money,but once the Treasury starts printing 1,5,10, and 20 Trillion dollar notes,it won't seem like all that much.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 01:37:10 am »
snark wrote:
"Edit> And every geezer in the world who needs $5K/mo long-term care - where will we put them all?"

See "Soylent Green", the "going home" sequence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 02:35:20 am »
@JoeBiden
 fundraising email >

We support building on Obamacare with a public option like Medicare.

Others support putting everyone into Medicare for All

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 03:29:08 am »
Per year, that's more than current yearly federal revenues.

More than that, it's more than current yearly federal spending.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 03:47:23 am »
Oh, what's a few more trillion to add to our debt and deficit. 

Make no mistake people -- despite any protestations to the contrary -- Republicans want this scheme too.  Don't trust them to shut down any Dem effort to shove this Medicare for All through.   

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 04:03:59 am »
Oh, what's a few more trillion to add to our debt and deficit. 

Make no mistake people -- despite any protestations to the contrary -- Republicans want this scheme too.  Don't trust them to shut down any Dem effort to shove this Medicare for All through.

@Applewood

When you start talking about spending trillions of dollars,there is plenty of "skim" in it for everyone.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 04:06:58 am »
@Applewood

When you start talking about spending trillions of dollars,there is plenty of "skim" in it for everyone.

Very true.  @sneakypete