Author Topic: Berkeley bans gender-specific words like 'manhole' and 'craftsmen'  (Read 672 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The San Francisco Chronicle reports Wednesday that “she” and “he” will be replaced by “they.” The words “manpower” and “manhole” will become “workforce” and “maintenance hole.”

The City Council on Tuesday unanimously passed the measure to replace more than two dozen commonly used terms. There will be no more “craftsmen” in city code, only “craftspeople” or “artisans.”

https://www.wivb.com/news/national/manholes-to-maintenance-holes-california-city-bans-gender-specific-words-in-code/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Berkeley bans gender-specific words like 'manhole' and 'craftsmen'
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:23:58 pm »
I could "threaten" not to go into the city of Berserkeley, but I already don't, even though I drive through it several times a year on I-580.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:40:08 pm »
There's got to be a homo joke in here somewhere, and ladies, I get points for not finding it.
Jussayin.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:04:01 pm »
I could "threaten" not to go into the city of Berserkeley, but I already don't, even though I drive through it several times a year on I-580.

Well, glory be - my old internet friend @PeteS in CA !    A most warm welcome to TBR!    888high58888
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:07:00 pm »
Well, glory be - my old internet friend @PeteS in CA !    A most warm welcome to TBR!    888high58888

Thanks, Jazz!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 10:43:48 pm »
Can't say I'm amenable, er, in agreement with such a law, but will refrain from mentioning, er, saying it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 11:28:06 pm »
Can't say I'm amenable, er, in agreement with such a law, but will refrain from mentioning, er, saying it.
It won't be long before (or should I say befive?) we bring back Victor Borge's inflationary language.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 11:42:12 am »
First, it was banning natural gas in new hones.  Now Berkeley is going to tell people they can't use certain words.  They must be smoking some serious dope out there.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 12:12:16 pm »
First, it was banning natural gas in new hones.  Now Berkeley is going to tell people they can't use certain words.  They must be smoking some serious dope out there.

I think it only pertains to word choice within the city code.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 04:28:25 pm »
I think it only pertains to word choice within the city code.

That's how I read it too.   Ordinary Berkeleyites can continue to refer to their manholes.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:12 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 04:49:51 pm »
https://thepatriotsource.com/2019/07/19/lol-berkeley-bans-the-term-manholes/

I think sh*thole would be be a wonderful way to change the wording.  It applies to the sewer and the city.  Instead of using "they" as the only pronoun, I think "it" is much more appropriate.  It accurately describes what he city actually thinks of people and would answer Bile Clinton's use of the word it.  Instead person for some positions, again I think thing would be better; like chairthing.  It more accurately catches the city's view of people. 00drama

As far as the language to be only for the city's use - nonsense.  There happens to be perhaps the most progressive university in world in that sh*thole which will pick up the nonsense and require students to the same.  You can count on it.  Perhaps the college and city collaborated on the use.  After Cal starts using it other progressive universities will do the same, such as Haaaavad, Personton (formerly Princeton), Yale (which was founded by a male) and many others. farter000000
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:51:40 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:36 pm »
Big problems when they have foreign languages that have every subject either male or female.