Author Topic: House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour  (Read 943 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour
« on: July 18, 2019, 07:00:33 pm »
House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour
By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News

The House of Representatives approved the Raise the Wage Act Thursday, which would boost the federal minimum wage for the first time in a decade.

In a 231-199 vote along party lines, the House passed the legislation that would increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour, more than double the current rate of $7.25. In an even more drastic increase, the bill calls for having the same minimum wage for tipped workers, raising it from $2.13 an hour.

A report from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office predicted that approximately 30 million people would see higher earnings as a result of the bill, bringing more than one million out of poverty.

"America's workers deserve a raise," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said at a press conference before the vote.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-passes-bill-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:03:22 pm »
Just in time for the automation taking place.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:52 pm »
The minimum wage should be $0/hr.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 07:17:21 pm »
This is the min wage in my area.

It isn't BAD for small businesses - its LETHAL to small businesses.

And I live in a very high cost region. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be a small employer in Ohio and have to pay employees this amount.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:28:02 pm »

That's exactly right - Though most folks won't follow why that is so.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
That's called slavery, and it's unconstitutional.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:30:58 pm »
This is the min wage in my area.

It isn't BAD for small businesses - its LETHAL to small businesses.

And I live in a very high cost region. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be a small employer in Ohio and have to pay employees this amount.

As a reminder to all, be aware this is only HALF the story.
The other half is the witholdings and insurances that employers have to pay and.or meet, which generally will nearly double the amount in cost to the employer...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:31:49 pm »

No, and no.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 07:37:48 pm »
No, and no.
Come on. Make it legal for an employer to pay his (or her) workers nothing? That doesn't make sense.

It's not even employment if the employer doesn't pay their workers. Even though certain white-collar employers haven't found a way around it by calling those "jobs" "unpaid internships" as an extortion racket to keep the poor out of the job pool.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:17 pm »

Uh, no.  Not even close.  Working for a wage is always a choice.  Slavery is not.  And it is NEVER the government's business to dictate how much money I am willing to work for.

Consider a company that invented a gadget that can determine the make and model of any car that drives by my house.  They use these gadgets to amass marketing info which provides value to them.  But the gadgets are expensive to manufacture, so they can't risk leaving them unattended.

This is where I come in.  I really don't want to leave my house to work a job, and I really don't need extra income either.  But I would gladly sit on my porch all day for free insurance.  So this company offers me their company insurance, but no wage, to me for setting their gadget out on my front porch and guarding it for five hours each day.

Two parties coming together and agreeing to a contract that benefits them both.  It is a win-win.  Yet Big Brother dictates that we are not allowed to do this based on some arbitrary wage floor that He sets.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:18 pm »
As a reminder to all, be aware this is only HALF the story.
The other half is the witholdings and insurances that employers have to pay and.or meet, which generally will nearly double the amount in cost to the employer...

Yes. We're employers and recent increases from 9 to 15 per hour have cut our income in half. We're now looking to sell all of our businesses and move to an employee-less model.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 07:50:05 pm »

Well, it would be if Congress mandated that people accept $0 for their work, but it wouldn’t be if Congress simply stopped setting a minimum wage at all.  Then everyone would be free to negotiate any wage at all. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 07:52:44 pm »
Only $15....? How heartless.    :whistle:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 07:54:17 pm »
Only $15....? How heartless.    :whistle:

Yeah, right?  If liberals truly cared, they would raise the minimum wage to $100/hr.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 07:56:17 pm »

@jmyrlefuller
Employment is like any other contract - a voluntary contract between two people. Voluntary.
If you are dumb enough to work for nothing, that's on you.

On the other hand, I have been down on my luck with no place to go, and entered into an 'illegal' agreement with a rancher to work hard days for $500/mo and found.

The rancher, a widow woman, could not afford help, but like ranch women are, was a good cook, with butt-tons of food in the cellar, and kept the bunkhouse for me, did my laundry and my mending - Happy to do what she could.

I was hungry, with wore out boots, and a pickup with a blown motor. But I had a strong back and knew how... I spent a season on that ol gal's ranch, made my stake, and went on grateful to her.

And there is nothing at all wrong with that voluntary agreement between two parties.
Had she to pay the going minimum rate, she just would not have hired, and neither of us would have benefited.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:21:54 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:15 pm »
Yes. We're employers and recent increases from 9 to 15 per hour have cut our income in half. We're now looking to sell all of our businesses and move to an employee-less model.

Me too - The precise reason I am not painting houses anymore.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:07 pm »
The Dems are truly idiots.  Implementation of a $15/hr minimum wage will eliminate 3 million jobs, perhaps more.  Back will come the automated order stations within fast food, as well as other industries.  There is a reason for why when one goes to a department store, there are no employees in evidence typically.

I read recently an article that basically implied that 60% of all current jobs will be eliminated over the next 10 years.  Pushing a higher minimum wage will just accelerate that outcome.

My first job was working in a grocery chain store.  I was paid minimum wage, $1.60 per hour.  15 cents of that went to the union I was forced to join.  And I was happy to have the job.  We worked our butts off.  I worked a register, not using APCs, we had to know the price of everything and manually enter the data into a register.  When not on a register, we stocked shelves, and at the end of the day, we cleaned the store.  Today, there are folks on registers until 9PM, and then we have to ring our own items up, and there are separate folks to stock and clean.  Very different world today.  Folks do not work nearly as hard as years ago.

I think the folks indicating $0 dollars were implying we should not have any minimum wage, not that folks should be paid $0 dollars for their labor.

Something not mentioned much these days are the adverse affects of Obamacare on the labor force.  Thanks to the rules of Obamacare, many that had 40 hour+ per week jobs plus benefits were reduced to under 29 hours per week and no benefits.  These same people were forced to get a 2nd and in some cases a 3rd job.  This is how so many today have multiple jobs just to get by, people that had full time employment and benefits forced by Obamacare into this nonsense.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 08:57:35 pm »

It is. That's the wage one is "paid" if one cannot find a job. This bill, which is unlikely to pass the Senate I suspect, would expand the numbers of people unable to find a job. And if you'll pardon the cliche, teens and the less skilled would be hardest hit. As @skeeter pointed out, this one-size-fit-all massive change will clobber lower-income regions even harder than it is already hitting high-cost areas. It's putting businesses out of business in Prog-run cities like SF and Seattle and NYC.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:00:26 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 08:58:13 pm »
The Dems are truly idiots.  Implementation of a $15/hr minimum wage will eliminate 3 million jobs, perhaps more.  Back will come the automated order stations within fast food, as well as other industries.  There is a reason for why when one goes to a department store, there are no employees in evidence typically.

More than that... the cost of labor is a variable in every industry. The cost of wages will get passed through to the consumer. And costs all the way around will skyrocket... Not to mention low wage jobs being tightened.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 10:02:51 pm »
The DEMS are idiots for passing the bill, but IF the Senate doesn't pass the bill, then they will be seen as insensitive to the poor working class folks.  The DEMS are going to win on this one regardless if the bill passes or not.  In the long run of course it is the American people who will lose on this; some are just too bamboozled to realize it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:31 pm »
Government regulated inflation.

What WILL the left think of next?

Since my,and no one else's,retirement pay is going to increase to keep pace with inflation,looks like I will be rolling welfare drunks for spending money.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:52:36 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 11:54:05 pm »

@jmyrlefuller

Where did you come up with THAT brain fart? Nobody said anybody has to work for free.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 11:55:21 pm »
Come on. Make it legal for an employer to pay his (or her) workers nothing? That doesn't make sense.

@jmyrlefuller

Tell me,how long do YOU think employees will keep showing up if they don't get paid?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 11:57:32 pm »
Yeah, right?  If liberals truly cared, they would raise the minimum wage to $100/hr.

@Hoodat

They probably will before it's over,and then we will see minimum wage workers ordering new Mercedes,and demanding they be able to buy them at the old prices.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:47 pm »
The Dems are truly idiots.  Implementation of a $15/hr minimum wage will eliminate 3 million jobs, perhaps more.

@jafo2010

Which means an immediate increase of 3 million new Dim voters,at a minimum.

The Dim leadership knows what they are doing,it's their followers that are idiots.