Author Topic: House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour  (Read 932 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 01:02:43 am »
More than that... the cost of labor is a variable in every industry. The cost of wages will get passed through to the consumer. And costs all the way around will skyrocket... Not to mention low wage jobs being tightened.

And more low wage jobs being taken by illegals.

IF the Senate decides to pick this up, I wish that they would hammer that point home.  But I don't think they'll do either.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 01:07:39 am »

Price = Wages
Quantity = Workers
Surplus = Unemployed due to artificial price floor
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 01:27:07 am »

Price = Wages
Quantity = Workers
Surplus = Unemployed due to artificial price floor

I've often wondered how many more people would "get" economics if the axes weren't backwards.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:50 am »
And more low wage jobs being taken by illegals.
They're trying to close that loophole too.

New York is on its way to 15 now, and just this past week they cut out the farm work exemption. The draconian work conditions most of the farms that employ illegal labor use (100+ hour, 7 day work weeks with no overtime or rest) will no longer be legal here, which in and of itself I don't mind (and may even make farm work more palatable to those who aren't masochists), but combined with the artificially high minimum wage, a lot of farmers are panicking. Upstate has a strong dairy industry and they're already getting squeezed with the price of milk lately.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 02:46:59 am »
The draconian work conditions most of the farms that employ illegal labor use (100+ hour, 7 day work weeks with no overtime or rest)

ROTFLMAO!!!

Silly rabbit.

Welcome to farm life.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Make hay while the sun shines"?
It's true.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:48:27 am by roamer_1 »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 02:50:16 am »
@jmyrlefuller

Tell me,how long do YOU think employees will keep showing up if they don't get paid?
Ask anyone on an unpaid internship. If they have parents paying their bills, they can work for free until they get access to the corporate ladder that poor people can't get because they need money coming in to support themselves.

Corporate America has long gotten away with "employing" people and not paying them, especially young adults. Paying dues, they call it. It's stupid for the government to officially endorse that business model.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 02:53:22 am »
ROTFLMAO!!!

Silly rabbit.

Welcome to farm life.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Make hay while the sun shines"?
It's true.
It's bull. If you want a job done, hire enough people and manage your labor so you don't have to work everyone into the ground! No other industry gets away with that kind of abuse. None! Except the armed forces, maybe... but they're a special case and always have been.

We could probably solve a good chunk of our illegal alien labor if we stopped thinking all-work, every-waking-hour is an acceptable way of life. It destroys people!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 03:02:17 am »
A supermarket chain in my neck of the woods is experimenting with a plan whereby an app on your smartphone tracks everything you put into your shopping cart.  When you're done, you have the options of  using the app to charge your purchases to your credit or debit card without having to check out, or you can go through the traditional checkout line with a cashier or self-serve checkout.  Eventually, the company will do away with the checkout line with a real person altogether.   Cashier jobs will be gone. 

So good luck with that $15/hour minimum wage. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 03:05:10 am »
We could probably solve a good chunk of our illegal alien labor if we stopped thinking all-work, every-waking-hour is an acceptable way of life. It destroys people!

My opinions on what's acceptable has zero bearing on illegal alien labor.  On days that I work, I typically put in 13-16 hours.  If I have to be away from my family, I want every hour I can get.  I don't give a damn what anyone else chooses to do.

As for illegals, I have a hell of a lot more respect for illegals doing farm labor or even the ones who gather in parking lots near home depot trying to earn a buck, instead of the ones who come here to game the system to get free this or free that, and then enroll their non-English-speaking kids in public schools which drive standards down for everyone else.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 03:08:47 am »
It's bull. If you want a job done, hire enough people and manage your labor so you don't have to work everyone into the ground!

You could not afford to eat. Every farm everywhere, Daylight to dark. Don't like it, work somewhere else.

No other industry gets away with that kind of abuse. None! Except the armed forces, maybe... but they're a special case and always have been.

That abuse you're talking about has another word out here in the hinterlands: Reality. Sure it don't pay much... but then money ain't the point. Living is, and that's life. And any farmer or rancher will tell you the same.

Not in the country it don't. It makes them alive.
Not a damn thing wrong with hard work, or hard play when you can.

And that ain't just ag... Any/every field I have ever been in, the folks that matter are the ones who go the extra mile and do the job right, whatever it takes.

Worry about the work and the money will come.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:10:35 am by roamer_1 »