Author Topic: Renewable energy can’t keep Texans’ A/C humming [Opinion]  (Read 916 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Bernard L. Weinstein July 18, 2019

Houston has recorded a half-dozen 95 degree-plus days so far this summer, and we’re weeks away from August, the hottest month of the year. Last year, the second hottest on record in Texas, included a 10-day stretch of triple-digit temperatures.

Which raises a question. Is the Texas power grid, managed by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, up to the task of keeping the lights on and the air conditioners humming? Today, total installed generation capacity is about 78.6 gigawatts while ERCOT is predicting peak demand this summer of 74.9 gigawatts. That leaves a very small reserve margin. Should several large power plants go offline for maintenance or a broken gas line, we will likely see brownouts or blackouts.

Unlike most other states, the demand for power is growing steadily in Texas, thanks to the continuing influx of people and businesses as well as our booming energy industry. (We sometimes forget that it takes energy to make energy). However, investment in new natural-gas plants has lagged. In addition, several large coal plants have recently been shuttered, which means the loss of nearly five gigawatts of capacity.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Renewable-energy-can-t-keep-Texans-A-C-14103550.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Houston Chronicle by Bernard L. Weinstein July 18, 2019

Houston has recorded a half-dozen 95 degree-plus days so far this summer, and we’re weeks away from August, the hottest month of the year. Last year, the second hottest on record in Texas, included a 10-day stretch of triple-digit temperatures.

Which raises a question. Is the Texas power grid, managed by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, up to the task of keeping the lights on and the air conditioners humming? Today, total installed generation capacity is about 78.6 gigawatts while ERCOT is predicting peak demand this summer of 74.9 gigawatts. That leaves a very small reserve margin. Should several large power plants go offline for maintenance or a broken gas line, we will likely see brownouts or blackouts.

Unlike most other states, the demand for power is growing steadily in Texas, thanks to the continuing influx of people and businesses as well as our booming energy industry. (We sometimes forget that it takes energy to make energy). However, investment in new natural-gas plants has lagged. In addition, several large coal plants have recently been shuttered, which means the loss of nearly five gigawatts of capacity.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Renewable-energy-can-t-keep-Texans-A-C-14103550.php
That is true in all facets of energy production.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

One more take on the usage of wind during really hot times: there is no power generated.
The silence of the wind turbines

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/the_silence_of_the_wind_turbines.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

One more take on the usage of wind during really hot times: there is no power generated.
The silence of the wind turbines

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/the_silence_of_the_wind_turbines.html

The well known fact that rising temperatures usually causes wind speeds to fall off damn near caused a rolling blackout in Texas a few years ago. Only the skill of the grid operators and the luck of having barely enough diesels and  simple cycle gas turbines saved the state from it.

Offline jpsb

"Last year, the second hottest on record in Texas"

Bull

Online corbe

My 3 window units are humming in my 1K sq house and it's probably 110 out there, Very comfortable.  Getting new Main windows in this 120 yo house this fall and if I stay here for another summer I'll be getting central air/heat next spring. 
    Probably sell out and move further west to the Frio River.  Been in the New Braunfels area for 30 years, Gestapo Tourist Trap ~ Come for Vacation, Leave on Probation.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

My 3 window units are humming in my 1K sq house and it's probably 110 out there, Very comfortable.  Getting new Main windows in this 120 yo house this fall and if I stay here for another summer I'll be getting central air/heat next spring. 
    Probably sell out and move further west to the Frio River.  Been in the New Braunfels area for 30 years, Gestapo Tourist Trap ~ Come for Vacation, Leave on Probation.

You've been fixin to a long time now @corbe ...

Or you could head up this way, where the shade works.
Heck, our hottest days would barely bring you in remembrance of your beloved Texas.

but then, there's snow.  :terror:

Online corbe

I can tolerate the Heat @roamer_1 worked outdoors all my young life in Masonry.  It's the cold that bites my suntan butt (unless there's a warm woman to keep me preoccupied).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

I can tolerate the Heat @roamer_1 worked outdoors all my young life in Masonry.  It's the cold that bites my suntan butt (unless there's a warm woman to keep me preoccupied).

@corbe
Yeah, that figgers... Me, I am more like the Malamutes I have preferred my whole life... We suffer the most in August when the 90's come around... Nearly living IN the river... And longing for the fall rains, and the sweet release from that oppressive heat...

I am not alright outside of the boreal forest... so why would I expect you to be alright outside of the desert?

I get it. Just pokin fun.  :beer: