Author Topic: 'The President Won This One': CNN's Tapper Details How Trump Outflanked Ocasio-Cortez And Her Lenini  (Read 774 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'The President Won This One': CNN's Tapper Details How Trump Outflanked Ocasio-Cortez And Her Leninist Girl Scout Troop
Townhall, Jul 17, 2019, Matt Vespa

House Democrats may have appeared united in the resolution condemning President Trump for a series of tweets aimed at Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), but behind the scenes we have chaos. A few talked to Tapper off the record and noted this whole fiasco has been a massive win for the Trump White House. There was infighting between AOC and Speaker Pelosi, which is good, but what’s even better is forcing the Democratic leadership to re-embrace this Leninist Girl Scout Troop from Hell and their extremist agenda and anti-Semitic remarks. Oh, and Omar made sure to make it clear to CBS’s Gayle King that she doesn’t regret her remarks.

"The president won this one,” said one House Democrat to Tapper, “What the president has done is politically brilliant. Pelosi was trying to marginalize these folks and the president has now identified the entire party with them."

He noted all of this in a lengthy Twitter thread:

[...]

Read more:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/07/17/cnns-tapper-house-democrats-admit-trump-won-the-fight-with-ocasio-cortez-and-he-n2550242

Gotta read the tweets .....  wink777

Paging @Jazzhead  -- Please pick up the white courtesy phone.   happy77

Offline Hoodat

Democrats vote 137 - 95 against impeachment.  The Dems are split.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
'The President Won This One': CNN's Tapper Details How Trump Outflanked Ocasio-Cortez And Her Leninist Girl Scout Troop

House Democrats may have appeared united in the resolution condemning President Trump for a series of tweets aimed at Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), but behind the scenes we have chaos. A few talked to Tapper off the record and noted this whole fiasco has been a massive win for the Trump White House. There was infighting between AOC and Speaker Pelosi, which is good, but what’s even better is forcing the Democratic leadership to re-embrace this Leninist Girl Scout Troop from Hell and their extremist agenda and anti-Semitic remarks. Oh, and Omar made sure to make it clear to CBS’s Gayle King that she doesn’t regret her remarks.

"The president won this one,” said one House Democrat to Tapper, “What the president has done is politically brilliant. Pelosi was trying to marginalize these folks and the president has now identified the entire party with them."

[...]

Read more:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/07/17/cnns-tapper-house-democrats-admit-trump-won-the-fight-with-ocasio-cortez-and-he-n2550242

Hot Damn...and call me crazy!!

Enjoyed it even better a 2nd time.   happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Hope he's wearing his "Help!  I've fallen and I can't get up!!" pager.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

[...]

What's important to note in all this is that Pelosi was not criticizing those four because they were making anti-American statements.  Pelosi went after them because they were making some anti-Democrat statements.  On the anti-American substance, Pelosi wouldn't dare go after them for fear of alienating the progressive core of the Democrat Party.  So to that extent, the Democrat "infighting" was something of a fraud.

What Trump did was to draw attention back to their anti-American statements, which the vast majority of Dem members won't oppose publicly.  He exposed the reality that when push comes to shove, the Democrat Party as a whole is beholden to its most radical elements, because that's where all the energy in their party is.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

@Right_in_Virginia ,  I don't get my spidey-sense of where things are from the likes of Jake Tapper.    I get it from the folks I live and work with.    One (Hispanic) colleague I spoke with yesterday said she's more offended by Trump's "go back to where you came from"  tweet than anything else he's said during his Presidency.   And not because she's a fan of AOC;  she's for Biden and a textbook example of a "moderate" Democrat.

What folks don't realize,  I think,  is how hurtful that trope is to Hispanics and other "brown" people -  they've heard that "go back home" insult since when they were kids.    At least African Americans don't have to absorb the hurt of being told to go back to from where they came;  we all acknowledge that slaves weren't immigrants.   But for Hispanics, and east Asians,  that's something you just grin and bear.   Doesn't matter if you're a second generation citizen,  that trope is painful and all too common. 

So to hear it repeated by the President of the United States is easily seen by folks as profoundly racist and hurtful.   

Tapper may consider Trump to have "won" by forcing Pelosi to defend the Squad,  but that's just transitory politics.  Real life is the leader of the country repeating a trope that's stung Hispanics all their lives.   That's the  mark that won't go away.     Yes,  it's true that the President's beef with AOC and the Squad is ideological,  not racial.   But his ham-handed tweeting has gotten the best of him again,  and is doing him considerable damage among voters who,  all other things being equal,  would be pleased to vote for continued peace and prosperity.   

Hispanic citizens,  to a large degree, even support the President's position that immigration laws need to be enforced.   But the President himself, irrespective of his policies and positions, is offensive and toxic.  And you know he's not going to change.   

That is what we are up against as we approach 2020:  the unprecedented situation of the issues and the economy going our way,  but with a President who compels good and decent folks to hold their noses.    That is why I say that, in order to preserve the political victories we've won,  in order to preserve the courts,  in order to preserve our Republic against the jackals of radicalism,   Trump needs to step aside and not be a candidate for re-nomination.     
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:44:06 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@Right_in_Virginia
Tapper may consider Trump to have "won"

Again, you miss the whole point.  It isn't Tapper's opinion that this was "politically brilliant" .... it is the opinion of the democrats quoted in the tweets (which is why I advised they be read),

The rest of your post, IMHO, is another iteration of what you wish had happened here --- and nothing more.

Happy Friday eve.   happy77

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Off the record, House Dems tell CNN’s Tapper that Trump was ‘brilliant’ snookering Dems into letting The Squad become their symbol
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/off_the_record_house_dems_tell_cnns_tapper_that_trump_was_brilliant_snookering_dems_into_letting_the_squad_become_their_symbol.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Again, you miss the whole point.  It isn't Tapper's opinion that this was "politically brilliant" .... it is the opinion of the democrats quoted in the tweets (which is why I advised they be read),

The rest of your post, IMHO, is another iteration of what you wish had happened here --- and nothing more.

Hey,  you're the one who pinged me to respond.  @Right_in_Virginia.     So now you say never mind?   :rolleyes:

I'm trying to make the point that politicos like us (and Jake Tapper and the sources for his tweets) think only of the transitory political ju-jitsu,  and overlook the lasting and unsettling impact of Trump's tweets on voters who'd otherwise be pleased to vote for peace and prosperity.    Trump is truly offensive to many folks,  and their revulsion may cause them to turn to the Democratic alternative even at the risk of all that entails.     

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.

You missed his point. Who cares what some anonymous democrat says to Jake Tapper? Does any of Trump's histrionics ever move the needle beyond his homogeneous base? The fact remains that the country is turning browner, blacker, yellower every day. Tomorrow, it will be more browner, blacker and yellower than it is today. Despite record low black unemployment, despite rising Latino home ownership, despite record gains in Asian home ownership, the republicans are ceding ground among these groups (and college educated whites) largely because of one man's truclulent toxicity.

Republicans may never win a majority of these groups, but they do not have to lose these groups in the percentage that they are being lost. They have to divide these groups among themselves, from those who make good choices in pursuit of the American ideal and those who do not. No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, hates criminal, deadbeat blacks and Latinos more than law abiding, industrious members of their own groups. Hell, every time a prospective employer or a law enforcement officer sees an idiot-ass black teenager with his pants sagging, acting a fool in public, it makes it that much harder for my well-raised, dutiful teenage nephews and son.

There is no opportunity to divide and conquer the members of these minority groups when they all coalesce around their hatred of Donald Trump and his white nationalist/alt right rhetoric. He is the great uniter of black, brown and yellow peoples, regardless of station in life.  Demographically, if it was still 1980, it wouldn't matter. But, it isn't.

Agree, disagree, take umbrage, don't care, whatever. We'll see in November, 2020. I'm done.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Right_in_Virginia ,  I don't get my spidey-sense of where things are from the likes of Jake Tapper.    I get it from the folks I live and work with.    One (Hispanic) colleague I spoke with yesterday said she's more offended by Trump's "go back to where you came from"  tweet than anything else he's said during his Presidency.   And not because she's a fan of AOC;  she's for Biden and a textbook example of a "moderate" Democrat.

And someone who was never going to vote for Trump anyway.  The number of Democrats who will vote for a Republican -- and vice-versa -- is small.  It's the swing voters who really matter.

What folks don't realize,  I think,  is how hurtful that trope is to Hispanics and other "brown" people -  they've heard that "go back home" insult since when they were kids.    At least African Americans don't have to absorb the hurt of being told to go back to from where they came;  we all acknowledge that slaves weren't immigrants.   But for Hispanics, and east Asians,  that's something you just grin and bear.   Doesn't matter if you're a second generation citizen,  that trope is painful and all too common. 

So to hear it repeated by the President of the United States is easily seen by folks as profoundly racist and hurtful.   

Tapper may consider Trump to have "won" by forcing Pelosi to defend the Squad,  but that's just transitory politics.  Real life is the leader of the country repeating a trope that's stung Hispanics all their lives.   That's the  mark that won't go away.     Yes,  it's true that the President's beef with AOC and the Squad is ideological,  not racial.   But his ham-handed tweeting has gotten the best of him again,  and is doing him considerable damage among voters who,  all other things being equal,  would be pleased to vote for continued peace and prosperity.   

Hispanic citizens,  to a large degree, even support the President's position that immigration laws need to be enforced.   But the President himself, irrespective of his policies and positions, is offensive and toxic.  And you know he's not going to change.

Honestly, I don't think that tweet is any more hurtful/offensive than some of the other controversial things he's said about hispanic immigrants (legal or otherwise) since 2015.  And yet, he did better with Latinos voters than prior GOP nominees.  There has to be a reason for that. 

I think it comes down to Salena Zito's brilliant "seriously, but not literally" observation about Trump.  If you do what his opponents do and take his statement "literally, but not seriously", then "go back home" is offensive.  So the people who don't like him anyway -- such as your Biden-supporting friend -- are going to interpret it literally and resent him for it.  But those are votes he was never going to get anyway

However, if you choose to take his statement "seriously, but not literally", the meaning is quite different:   In essence, he's making a rhetorical point -- the flip side of all those disingenuous leftist threats to leave the country if Trump was elected.  Those leftist threats to leave the country weren't meant to be taken literally, but rather were intended to show how serious they were about disliking him.

The sentiment Trump is conveying is: "If this country sucks so badly, and you're so intent on running it down, why haven't you moved to to a different one that is better? You should be more grateful that this country gave you and your family a better place to live."  And that sentiment is one that a lot of more patriotic immigrants will support, and that will resonate among a lot of other people as well.  Trump is conveying the same sentiment they may feel, even if they wouldn't say it publicly themselves.

So of course, a media that takes him "literally but not seriously" is going to spin it in the worst possible way, and blast him with accusations of racism.  But I question how influential nasty headlines or the opinion page of the Inquirer actually is among potential Trump voters.  I believe a lot of people are going to say "you know, he probably shouldn't have said it that way, but I absolutely agree with the point he's making."  And when it comes time to vote...are people going to reject the guy they believe shares their core sentiment on issue just because he sometimes makes his points inartfully?

It's a really weird balancing act he has going on.  On the one hand, he undoubtedly -- and needlessly -- offends a great many people when there's a better way to make his point.  But the flip side of that is that his willingness to offend/speak his mind also convinces people that his opinions are genuine -- that he's not carefully sculpting a public image while secretly believing something else.  His malaprops mark him as authentic, and that's powerful.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:07:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline skeeter

Hey,  you're the one who pinged me to respond.  @Right_in_Virginia.     So now you say never mind?   :rolleyes:

I'm trying to make the point that politicos like us (and Jake Tapper and the sources for his tweets) think only of the transitory political ju-jitsu,  and overlook the lasting and unsettling impact of Trump's tweets on voters who'd otherwise be pleased to vote for peace and prosperity.    Trump is truly offensive to many folks,  and their revulsion may cause them to turn to the Democratic alternative even at the risk of all that entails.   

In 2016 we had the Planet Hollywood recordings, the manner in which Trump conducted himself in the primaries, a blossoming conspiracy theory about Russian collusion. Trump was known by many only as the guy who did the daddy dance on SNL, wrestled on WWF specials and said outrageously un-PC things on the campaign trail.

Today he has a three year track record as a serious figure. Many - not all but many more - consider him an effective leader. The party has been coalescing around him, albeit slowly.

Why do you believe he'll get less voter support in 2020 than he did in 2016.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:57:21 pm by skeeter »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The party has been coalescing around him, albeit slowly.

Why do you believe he'll get less voter support in 2020 than he did in 2016.

Personally, I think he'll get more support from the party, but that alone is not enough.  The truly great unknown is what swing voters are going to do. 

Offline GrouchoTex

Trump called out 4 women "POC" to use the shorthand.
To any liberal out there, you came never call out women or POC (definitiley not both, The Horror!).
That, in and of itself, is considered racism to them, and their followers in the MSM.

If those of you who fear he is being insensitive to the needs of these "special" groups, ask yourselves why you feel that way.
Do you believe that no one should ever be called out, or try and correct, some one who is wrong, just because of their race or gender?
If so, why?
Seems more racist not to, as if you fear they cannot handle the criticism.

Let's be honest, these 4 squad folks have said some pretty radical and nasty things about whites, Jews, the rich, men, etc.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:51:53 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
You missed his point. Who cares what some anonymous democrat says to Jake Tapper? Does any of Trump's histrionics ever move the needle beyond his homogeneous base? The fact remains that the country is turning browner, blacker, yellower every day. Tomorrow, it will be more browner, blacker and yellower than it is today. Despite record low black unemployment, despite rising Latino home ownership, despite record gains in Asian home ownership, the republicans are ceding ground among these groups (and college educated whites) largely because of one man's truclulent toxicity.

Republicans may never win a majority of these groups, but they do not have to lose these groups in the percentage that they are being lost. They have to divide these groups among themselves, from those who make good choices in pursuit of the American ideal and those who do not. No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, hates criminal, deadbeat blacks and Latinos more than law abiding, industrious members of their own groups. Hell, every time a prospective employer or a law enforcement officer sees an idiot-ass black teenager with his pants sagging, acting a fool in public, it makes it that much harder for my well-raised, dutiful teenage nephews and son.

There is no opportunity to divide and conquer the members of these minority groups when they all coalesce around their hatred of Donald Trump and his white nationalist/alt right rhetoric. He is the great uniter of black, brown and yellow peoples, regardless of station in life.  Demographically, if it was still 1980, it wouldn't matter. But, it isn't.

Agree, disagree, take umbrage, don't care, whatever. We'll see in November, 2020. I'm done.

Too bad you say you're done, @FeelNoPain .   Your post is full of insight for those willing to listen. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Personally, I think he'll get more support from the party, but that alone is not enough.  The truly great unknown is what swing voters are going to do.

That's right.   And don't forget,  Trump has to do better with swing voters, because he lost the popular vote last time by more than 3 million.   

Trump's verbal incontinence makes it harder to reach these swing voters,  even as his policies are likely improving their lives.    How do you convince folks to vote for a man who,  as soon as you begin to discuss politics with them, make it clear represents a cringeworthy embarrassment to them?   

Offline skeeter

I wasn't referring to the party alone. I do not believe swing voters have any less reason to vote for him this time around. That was my point. In fact, they now have a record to refer to which on balance is positive.

Those who still recoil in fear or revulsion when he speaks are likely to be the ones who've despised him all along. So no loss there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:04:58 pm by skeeter »

They'll vote for Trump in even greater number in 2020 than they did in 2016.

So, relax.  (Or pound your fist against a wall ..... it really doesn't matter)