Author Topic: 'I abandon the chair': Rep. Cleaver stuns colleagues with protest over partisanship  (Read 473 times)

Offline Hoodat

'I abandon the chair': Rep. Cleaver stuns colleagues with protest over partisanship

July 17, 2019, 8:02 AM EDT     |     By Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Mr. Civility had had enough.

"We don't ever, ever want to pass up, it seems, an opportunity to escalate," Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II, D-Mo., said from the House speaker's chair Tuesday afternoon after a fight broke out over a resolution to condemn President Donald Trump's "racist tweets."

The House went silent as the mild-mannered Cleaver, a seven-term House member, swept a pointed finger across the chamber, saying he dared anyone to say he had been "unfair."

"We want to just fight," Cleaver, a pastor, said, balling his fists to demonstrate the exchanges. Then, in a move that House veterans said they had never seen before, he declared, "I abandon the chair," put down the gavel and strode off.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/i-abandon-chair-rep-cleaver-stuns-colleagues-protest-over-partisanship-n1030711

"A little of the oil of civility in Congress will prevent a deluge of discord in the nation."

-Emanuel Cleaver-
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online corbe

Been there, Done that, got the TShirt.

Damn Freedom Caucus
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

"When we allow hyperpartisanship to control the conversation, what once was a virtue becomes the downfall of a divided nation."

If a democrat federal politician has finally had enough of this crap, how do they think the general public feels about it?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline PeteS in CA

If a democrat federal politician has finally had enough of this crap, how do they think the general public feels about it?

The context was Nancy Pelosi violating House rules by calling Trump racist, and an R Congress-Critter making the formal motion to rule her out of order. She was, though contrary to custom (rules?) Pelosi left the floor during the process that ruled against her. The resolution condemning Trump's pointed - but NOT racist - Tweets passed. I don't know how Cleaver voted on that resolution.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.