Author Topic: Austin City Council rescinds measures that 'criminalize' homelessness  (Read 502 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Austin City Council rescinds measures that 'criminalize' homelessness

By Elizabeth Findell, Austin American-Statesman  6/21/2019

The Austin City Council early Friday morning rescinded city prohibitions on sitting or sleeping in public and panhandling -- measures advocates said wrongly criminalized homelessness -- after hours of emotional testimony from passionate residents on both sides of the issue...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/austin-city-council-rescinds-measures-that-criminalize-homelessness/ar-AADdgbA

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
In Austin, where all laws against panhandling, loitering, and sleeping in public have been rescinded, people wonder why public areas have quickly become blighted.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien