Author Topic: Rand Paul blocks Senate vote on 9/11 victim compensation fund  (Read 369 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul blocks Senate vote on 9/11 victim compensation fund
By Jordain Carney - 07/17/19 01:32 PM EDT

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Wednesday blocked an attempt by Democrats to pass an extension of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) tried to win the Senate's consent to approve the House-passed bill, which would reauthorize funding until fiscal year 2090. The bill cleared the House in a 402-12 vote last week.

But Paul objected, pointing to the country's growing debt and arguing that any new spending should be offset by cuts to other spending.

"It has long been my feeling that we need to address our massive debt in the country," he said. "And therefore any new spending …  should be offset by cutting spending that's less valuable. We need to at the very least have this debate."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/453519-rand-paul-blocks-senate-vote-on-9-11-victim-compensation-fund
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

Re: Rand Paul blocks Senate vote on 9/11 victim compensation fund
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:56:29 pm »
I agree with his statement about growing debt.

But we should take care of these people.  Cut something else.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 11:16:23 pm »
I agree with his statement about growing debt.

But we should take care of these people.  Cut something else.

Yes, but haven't these people already been compensated for the past 18 years or so?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
You may very well have information that I don't. I know that the families of  dead responders and victims got compensation.  But the actual responders, as far as I know didn't get compensation until they got sick.

That being said, one of the first things our insurance coordinated at work said was..."They aren't wearing masks, OMG"  It might not have helped...but it might have.

I heard that there was a compromise reached today for the funding. That's a good thing in my world.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:13:42 pm »
Good for Paul.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 12:36:08 am »
Good for Paul.

I agree, and they should not cave on this.  10 Billion till 2092.  Unless I don't know how to do math they will be dead by then.  Most of them far before then.  What Paul and Lee were doing is the right thing.  They want this bill with no caps and no oversight.  Not right.  Not right to trash these Senators for doing their jobs and protecting taxpayers from fraud.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900080187/utah-mike-lee-9-11-fund-jon-stewart-rand-paul.html

I have no idea how it gets distributed but Dr's. should be able to bill the government directly for related illness.  Hopefully there is some oversight on where the money is going. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:42:41 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.