Author Topic: 3 reasons to fear America's massive $70 trillion debt pile  (Read 976 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: 3 reasons to fear America's massive $70 trillion debt pile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 05:14:33 am »
That would make sense, except prices for things like groceries aren't rising.  And I can't think of anything that's rising in price at the same rate as the markets.

That is not true here...
I know this is a subjective measurement, but my groceries do not change very much, and I do not normally get very much at the store - so the stuff I do get is very much the same.
I have added 10% year over year to the grocery budget for the last 2 years, and maybe the year before that (I honestly can't remember), for basically the same things.

Some of that is to be expected - retail was surely shortened up durng the recession, so I would expect it to stretch out some.

Some of that can be explained in product changes (brand for brand) For example, I prefer to buy canned beef at the Costco, but finding it there is rare enough that when I do I have to dip into savings and buy a bunch... I went to Wallyworld now - which is not as good a product, and more expensive, but always available, so easier to budget.

Some of it can be accounted in price point for particular things - Coffee for instance has gone way up, at least for the brand I usually get - to the point that I am going to shop price on it, and try something else.

But it's getting to the point that I cannot reasonably justify 20% over 2 years simply by the variables.
I am paying more.

Now, that also may just be me - All I am buying is either basics like beans, rice, and produce, or deluxe things like meat, ice cream, and trail mix... I don't do much in the middle because I make most my own or get it off the ranch... and what case goods I buy come out of a different budget... And I rarely buy prefab foods.

So my take on it may be acclimatized to the segments in which I participate.  :shrug:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 07:17:00 am »
That is not true here...
I know this is a subjective measurement, but my groceries do not change very much, and I do not normally get very much at the store - so the stuff I do get is very much the same.
I have added 10% year over year to the grocery budget for the last 2 years, and maybe the year before that (I honestly can't remember), for basically the same things.

Some of that is to be expected - retail was surely shortened up durng the recession, so I would expect it to stretch out some.

Some of that can be explained in product changes (brand for brand) For example, I prefer to buy canned beef at the Costco, but finding it there is rare enough that when I do I have to dip into savings and buy a bunch... I went to Wallyworld now - which is not as good a product, and more expensive, but always available, so easier to budget.

Some of it can be accounted in price point for particular things - Coffee for instance has gone way up, at least for the brand I usually get - to the point that I am going to shop price on it, and try something else.

But it's getting to the point that I cannot reasonably justify 20% over 2 years simply by the variables.
I am paying more.

Now, that also may just be me - All I am buying is either basics like beans, rice, and produce, or deluxe things like meat, ice cream, and trail mix... I don't do much in the middle because I make most my own or get it off the ranch... and what case goods I buy come out of a different budget... And I rarely buy prefab foods.

So my take on it may be acclimatized to the segments in which I participate.  :shrug:

I buy basics, almost exclusively.  I've posted specific numbers here before, but in the last ten years:

Ground beef: doubled in price about ten years ago, constant since then.

Milk and eggs:  More or less constant for several years, but then down 40-50% over the last year or two.

Sweet potatoes, broccoli, corn, parsley, spinach, rice, beans, chicken breast, chicken liver, celery, carrots:  Exactly the same price. Some vary according to season, for example sweet potatoes are $0.88/lb around 8 months out of this year just like they have been since a Bush was in office, but overall they haven't gotten more expensive.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 07:23:58 am »
Well like I said, most all of the stuff that you made mention of there oh, I wouldn't know much about. I get all that off the ranch. I do get store-bought eggs sometimes, but mostly just for boiling.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 11:40:55 am »
That would make sense, except prices for things like groceries aren't rising.  And I can't think of anything that's rising in price at the same rate as the markets.
Sure, you can.

College tuition. Health insurance. New automobiles. Pretty much anything that is either subsidized or people have to borrow to pay for it, the price keeps going through the roof.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024