Author Topic: Royal Caribbean cancels Puerto Rico stop over protests sparked by political scandal  (Read 256 times)

Offline Applewood

Royal Caribbean cancels Puerto Rico stop over protests sparked by political scandal

A Royal Caribbean cruise ship skipped its stop in Puerto Rico on Tuesday due to mass protests on the island sparked by a political scandal.

The ship that had departed Miami on Saturday steered away from Puerto Rico after thousands of protesters marched in San Juan on Monday calling for the governor’s resignation as police in riot gear threw tear gas on the demonstrators.

“In light of current unrest in San Juan, Puerto Rico, we have cancelled today’s call to San Juan,” Owen Torres, communications manager for Royal Caribbean said in a statement to NBC News on Tuesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/royal-caribbean-cancels-puerto-rico-stop-over-protests-sparked-political-n1030691

Offline Applewood

Back in the 1990s I flew to San Juan to start a Carribbean cruise.  On the way from the airport to the port, I passed through the ugliest city I had ever been in.  Think Detroit -- 10 times worse.  And this was long before Hurricane Maria. 

Why any cruise line would stop there or start a cruise there, or any tourist would want to vacation there is beyond my comprehension.

Online berdie

Back in the 1990s I flew to San Juan to start a Carribbean cruise.  On the way from the airport to the port, I passed through the ugliest city I had ever been in.  Think Detroit -- 10 times worse.  And this was long before Hurricane Maria. 

Why any cruise line would stop there or start a cruise there, or any tourist would want to vacation there is beyond my comprehension.

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure at some time it was pretty. Now...not so much. My brother went to the Bahamas several years ago. On the way to the Atlantis, he was appalled.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
We should have cut P.R. loose sixty years ago -- given it independence and be done with 'em...