Author Topic: Britain to put WWII codebreaker Alan Turing on 50-pound note  (Read 216 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Britain to put WWII codebreaker Alan Turing on 50-pound note

The man who helped crack the infamous German "Enigma" encryption device during World War II and was a pioneer in the computing field will appear on the new 50-pound note in the U.K. — the same nation that prosecuted him for being gay.

Alan Turing worked in the secret Bletchley Park codebreaking center, where he created the "Turing bombe," a forerunner to modern computers that helped the British decrypt coded German communications. He also developed a test to measure artificial intelligence that's still relevant today, and built a prestigious career in British academia.

“I hope it will go some way to acknowledging his unprecedented contribution to society and science,” said former lawmaker John Leech, who previously led a campaign to posthumously pardon Turing. “But more importantly I hope it will serve as a stark and rightfully painful reminder of what we lost in Turing, and what we risk when we allow that kind of hateful ideology to win.”

The governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, poses for a photo with the artwork for the concept of the new 50-pound notes, after announcing this month that the notes would honor Alan Turing. (AP)

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/alan-turing-britain-wwii-codebreaker-50-pound-note

wikipedia

World War II hero, I believe persecuted for being gay per the first paragraph, it was illegal in those days.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:58:02 am by TomSea »