Author Topic: The Terrifying Rise of Authoritarian Populism  (Read 307 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The Terrifying Rise of Authoritarian Populism
« on: July 15, 2019, 06:06:27 pm »
Envy and resentment are driving collectivist impulses around the world.
By Tom Palmer
https://reason.com/2019/07/14/the-terrifying-rise-of-authoritarian-populism/

Governments described as populist are now in power in Poland, Hungary, Mexico, and Turkey. Italy and Greece are governed by multiparty populist coalitions, while populists of the left or right are partners in coalition governments in seven other European Union countries. Venezuela is in free fall thanks to the confiscationist policies of a populist government. Brazil has an outspoken populist president. And the ongoing Trumpist takeover of the Republican Party isn't just a populist spectacle in itself; it has also helped fuel a surge of left-wing populism among the Democrats. Those movements espouse a variety of programs across a wide range of political landscapes. What do they have in common?

Historians and political scientists have argued for decades about what exactly populism is, and they haven't always come to the same conclusions. The political theorist Isaiah Berlin warned in 1967 that "a single formula to cover all populisms everywhere will not be very helpful. The more embracing the formula, the less descriptive. The more richly descriptive the formula, the more it will exclude." Nonetheless, Berlin identified a core populist idea: the notion that an authentic "true people" have been "damaged by an elite, whether economic, political, or racial, some kind of secret or open enemy."

The exact nature of that enemy—"foreign or native, ethnic or social"—doesn't matter, Berlin adds. What fuels populist politics is that concept of the people battling the elite . . .

. . . The policies promoted by those governments vary, but they reject two related ideas. One is pluralism, the idea that people are variegated, with different interests and values that need to be negotiated through democratic political processes. The other is liberalism—not in the narrow American sense of the political center-left, but the broader belief that individuals have rights and the state's power should be limited to protect those rights.

Populists can be "of the left," but they need not be motivated by Marxian ideas of class conflict or central planning. They can be "of the right," but they are distinctly different from old-school reactionaries who yearn for a lost world of ordered hierarchies; if anything, they tend to dissolve old-fashioned classes and social orders into the undifferentiated mass of The People. Or they can reject the left/right spectrum altogether . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Absalom

Re: The Terrifying Rise of Authoritarian Populism
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:12:25 pm »
Be eternally wary of political zealotry.
Political creeds from all directions are little more
than rationalizations for severe emotional problems.
History is mute testament to that reality, whether
Cromwell, Robespierre or Marx.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:23:03 pm »
I've looked at the article a few ways, it really is correct in its recommendations towards the end, I'll excerpt a little:

Hyper ethnic change is profoundly unsettling to many people, and it is helping to drive populist political responses.

The Libertarian Response

. A functioning and efficient guest worker program—one that allows people to easily take temporary jobs in the United States and then return home to their families with the wealth they've rightfully acquired—could help calm the worries of American citizens who balk at the idea that throngs of foreigners are forcing their way across the border.

Thinking about the world in terms of friends vs. enemies channels energy into collectivism and demagoguery. To stop authoritarian populism, it's important not to promote the mentality of enmity that enables it.

I get his drift, I'd agree with it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:32:50 pm »
In 1954 under Eisenhower, 1,074,000 were rounded up and deported.

Was that "nationalist," or "populist," or "racist," or "bigoted" among terms thrown around freely these days?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 08:27:09 pm »
I've looked at the article a few ways, it really is correct in its recommendations towards the end, I'll excerpt a little:

I get his drift, I'd agree with it.

A lot of Briefers consider themselves "libertarian," and Reason is a libertarian publication.  I don't always agree with Reason, but it's always a worthwhile read.  I used to take in on my Kindle, and am considering re-upping it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:13:58 pm »
Still having a really hard time seeing where Trump has done anything in the slightest to make him "authoritarian".

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:10 pm »
A lot of Briefers consider themselves "libertarian," and Reason is a libertarian publication.  I don't always agree with Reason, but it's always a worthwhile read.  I used to take in on my Kindle, and am considering re-upping it.

I do the same.
Not on board with everything, but always an interesting perspective.
I feel the same way about, and also read, National Review.