Author Topic: How Much Do We Trust Alexa, Siri, Nest, and Ring — and Their Makers? By John Fund  (Read 438 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   How Much Do We Trust Alexa, Siri, Nest, and Ring — and Their Makers?
By John Fund

July 14, 2019 7:27 PM

Smart speakers and cameras are storing video footage and recordings of nearly every aspect of our private lives.

The electronic “smart home” promises endless convenience and security. People will control the temperature of their home from their office. This fall, Walmart will launch a service that will let a delivery worker unlock a house with an app and then stock its refrigerator with food, all monitored by a live camera on the worker’s chest.

It all sounds too good to be true. And maybe it is.

Before we plunge headlong into the Brave New World of smart homes, let’s pause and consider potential bugs in the system.

If we’d have done that with Facebook when it started, we might have been able to balance its convenience with the fact that it makes money mostly by creating detailed personal profiles of each of us — and then selling that information. Last Friday, it was reported that the Federal Trade Commission has fined Facebook some $5 billion for violating the privacy of some of its users.

The next possible Big Tech privacy invasion could come with residential surveillance cameras. Ring, which is mostly owned by Amazon, and other companies are busy installing security cameras in or around a customer’s home.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/07/smart-home-devices-privacy-civil-liberty-concerns/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

It's a brave new world.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Never have and never will have any voice monitoring device in my home. BTW, your cell phone is also listening to everything you say.
https://www.wonderoftech.com/phone-listening/

A woman was talking to here friends at a cafe about taking a vacation to Aruba. When she got home and went online, she was suddenly barraged with ads for package deals for a vacation on Aruba. Somebody heard her.

Your voice activated smart TV is also listening to everything said in the room. Essentially, anything that operates by voice is on and listening all the time. And it is likely programmed to flag and send data to the parent company if it hears something the software categorizes as 'interesting'.

My computer does not have a mic. My TV does not have voice activation. I do not have Alexa or any other monitoring device. The only device I cannot control is my cell phone. I cannot turn the mic off, because it is a phone. I need to be able to speak to it.

Nothing to hide. Not a secret agent or anything like that. Just the principle of the thing. I resent being spied on.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

My computer does not have a mic. My TV does not have voice activation. I do not have Alexa or any other monitoring device. The only device I cannot control is my cell phone. I cannot turn the mic off, because it is a phone. I need to be able to speak to it.

Nothing to hide. Not a secret agent or anything like that. Just the principle of the thing. I resent being spied on.

YEP.

My smart TVs are now stupid - accomplished by refusing them access to the network (which was weirdly hard to do). They ARE internet connected, but through computers tied to them, rather than through their own interface... Which they cannot use.

I do have a couple machines set up with mike and cam - videophone is almost as important to me as a landline. BUT, both the vid and mic have been disabled by a simple switch - until I want to use them, they are stone dead. IF you intend to use vidphone, try to find a cam and vid that has a physical on/off switch.

Cortana might be useful to me at my desk and bench... If she wasn't such a b1tch, and could actually do anything useful.. Like being able to verbally access my machines and instruct actual actions to be performed with those computers... But oddly enough, all she can really do for me at the desk is appointments and timers, which I do not need replicated, as all that is already done by Google in my smart phone. It might be more useful if the two would actually work together - But they don't, so all that lives on my phone.

And yeah, finally, that damnable smartphone. About a year and a few months ago, I did not own anything but a flip phone which mostly stayed off - Even as a computer tech, on my route or away from my house, I was completely divorced from the phone world.

The main thing that got me finally was messaging - all of the avenues I had used previously from my desktop to access cellular messaging became defunct over time, till finally the obvious thing I had to do was get the damn phone and get it over with...

And once I got the phone, it quickly became ubiquitous - It is, theoretically speaking, so very efficient at what it DOES do, that very quickly, ALL of my PIM moved over into Google's system. And like you, I am absolutely worthless tapping at the dang thing. The tiny little screen, my super-sized accursed thumbs, and my getting elderly eyes, anything other than verbal instruction would render all that juicy usefulness moot.

So the phone must be on, voice activation must be on, and it is on me, quite literally, almost 24 hours a day. The bloody thing wakes me up in the morning, and quite likely, my first words any given morning are, "Good morning, Google" - which anyone who uses Droid will know, activates a routine in which the Google Assistant performs a set of morning functions... Rattling off the weather, news, appointments and reminders having to do with today.

The point being that that phone is always on, and always on me, and always listening for my voice, rendering every other precaution toward privacy completely moot. Nearly all my appointments, tasks, reminders, mail, contacts, messaging, phone conversations, routing and movements, local haunts, waking and sleeping times, social preferences... Everything having to do with !ME!, evil Google knows it all.

At this point, to pursue privacy is an old saw about horses and barn doors.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The problem the cell phone has is proximity. The phone has to be out and close for it to be able to hear you. I generally do not have my phone out and available unless I am using it. And all calls are recorded somewhere anyway. That is understood.

I can't imagine that it is getting much, if any, of my day to day conversations. How much it can hear from my pocket, or on the other side of the room is negligible. When I am in my car, at work, or involved in daily activities, I don't mind so much. But the idea of something listening to me at home in my private time, at midnight...creeps me out.

I don't like the idea of Alexa or anyone recording me and my girl arguing or having sex, and it would if I had it. That's nobody's business but ours. It would be like having a stranger with boundary issues in my home all the time. No thanks.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

The problem the cell phone has is proximity. The phone has to be out and close for it to be able to hear you. I generally do not have my phone out and available unless I am using it. And all calls are recorded somewhere anyway. That is understood.

I can't imagine that it is getting much, if any, of my day to day conversations. How much it can hear from my pocket, or on the other side of the room is negligible.

Nope, not for me. It is always in my pocket 'sleeping'... connected by bluetooth to an earbud screwed into my ear. I am supposed to have to mash a button on that bud, hold it for a 3 count, and after it 'blings' Google is ready to hear... But half the time or better, all I have to do is say 'hey google' and she wakes right up... Enough that I always try it as a convenience over mashing the little button.

It is insidious.
It is ubiquitous.

Offline GrouchoTex

They don't speak redneck, that's a given, so I am fairly safe.
No, I don't use a home device, but I do use Siri from time to time.
The results are hilarious, some times.

Offline roamer_1

They don't speak redneck, that's a given, so I am fairly safe.
No, I don't use a home device, but I do use Siri from time to time.
The results are hilarious, some times.

That's all right, but beside the point... you are still being recorded, whether the AI can understand you or not. And in my case, every single thing about my person finds its way through that phone...

Let's say I become a political dissident, and because of it, the PTB phony up some charges and put out a warrant, and I am forced to flee. All of that information going through that phone can be used to find me, to include all of those recordings...

Now, that ain't really true in my case - All I have to do is get 20 miles up in the sticks and walk off, and there ain't but a handful of folks that could dig me out. And I am a careful man. There are three 'me's, carefully cultivated on the internet... I can step into an alias as easy as changing my pants.

And IRL, as a product of my misspent yoot, there are quite a few fellers that are useful to my existence that I have never put into any computer, nor had my phone when going to see them. My only contact with them has ever and always been eyeball. That network, largely folks like me that were in the wild life with me, that found the good Lord, like me... is an invaluable resource that remains wholly and entirely off grid.

Funny how that goes... All those years ago, with nefarious purpose, all those folks insisted on eyeball, with phones off and batteries out... And through the years, by force of habit, that has been maintained... with what is now good Christian men. The Father does provide.

But the point is still true for most people.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
It's a brave new world.
Not in my house it isn't.

The only Siri that was ever in my life was the board operator for a radio show I did in 2009-10.

The only Alexa I've ever known was the daughter of a friend back in upstate New York in the early 1990s.

The only Rings in my home are those owned by the woman with whom I share my life.

And although I am very much attuned to technology and its usefulnesses, I don't even put my cell phone online unless it's an absolute emergency. At home I use a desktop and have no wish to change that except to buy a new one come October when mine is liable to give out at last. When I leave the house, the Internet can bloody well live without me. Far as I know, Alexander Graham Bell wasn't trying to invent the computer or re-invent the typewriter.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Bill Cipher

How much?  Too much.