Author Topic: Philadelphia is Using a Sonic Weapon on Kids -- To Keep them Out of Parks  (Read 1044 times)

rangerrebew

Philadelphia is Using a Sonic Weapon on Kids -- To Keep them Out of Parks
Published: July 13, 2019

The Philadelphia government is reportedly using sonic weapons on it own citizens, youth and young adults, to keep them out of public parks after hours. We at TFTP were initially caught off guard with the news of compliance weapons usually reserved for riot control being used on kids. Admittedly, we believed it was fake news. Unfortunately, after further investigation, it is no laughing matter and is the first such torture device we are aware of regularly being used on young people in the U.S.

The device we learned is called “The Mosquito” and is installed in at least 30 city parks throughout Philadelphia. The Mosquito isn’t new and was covered by the NY Times in 2005 which describes the implement:

The device, called the Mosquito… emits a high-frequency pulsing sound that, he says, can be heard by most people younger than 20 and almost no one older than 30. The sound is designed to so irritate young people that after several minutes, they cannot stand it and go away.

https://www.blacklistednews.com/article/73794/philadelphia-is-using-a-sonic-weapon-on-kids--to-keep-them-out-of.html

Offline goatprairie

Just read about this thing. It has been deployed in many countries to keep trouble-making youths out of places where older adults gather.  Similar to establishments playing classical music to drive away the louts and loutettes.

Offline GrouchoTex

Kinda chilling, I think....

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Kinda chilling, I think....

I thought so too, until I remembered I can't stand most Millennials.   :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

Someone may fight this under "Freedom of Assembly", and they could win, in my opinion.
I understand the intent is law enforcement, but it is targeting all in that age bracket, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Someone may fight this under "Freedom of Assembly", and they could win, in my opinion.
I understand the intent is law enforcement, but it is targeting all in that age bracket, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

It's used to clear people out of a park after closing.  They don't have a right to assemble in a closed park. 

That said, I suspect it's the non-discriminatory aspect of the weapon that will lead to a successful lawsuit.  And unknown long-term health risks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

It's used to clear people out of a park after closing.  They don't have a right to assemble in a closed park. 

That said, I suspect it's the non-discriminatory aspect of the weapon that will lead to a successful lawsuit.  And unknown long-term health risks.
Health experts have already said that these things could be very bad for younger children the unintended recipients of it.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
How cavalier of them to assume that only young people can hear in that range. High-frequency pitches like that still aggravate the life out of me.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If you don't like the elevator music, take the stairs.

They haven't denied anyone access to the park, except during the hours it is closed.

A lawsuit will fail. That some people cannot hear the sound or that others find it an irritation is not the question, it is broadcast and there for everyone to hear if they can.

Or will we start banning concerts in the park because some of the people there might be deaf and can't hear them, some will be irritated by the music, while others will not mind?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Lando Lincoln

Just play country music.  That will keep the miscreants out.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline goatprairie

If you don't like the elevator music, take the stairs.

They haven't denied anyone access to the park, except during the hours it is closed.

A lawsuit will fail. That some people cannot hear the sound or that others find it an irritation is not the question, it is broadcast and there for everyone to hear if they can.

Or will we start banning concerts in the park because some of the people there might be deaf and can't hear them, some will be irritated by the music, while others will not mind?
I guess the argument of some health people is that the ears of very young children might get screwed up by the mosquito.  If that's the case, the anti-mosquito people would have a good court case.
I don't know if it's possible to just outright ban teen miscreants. I'd give that a shot.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

My thoughts exactly.  I know of two restaurants that I am absolutley sure pipes in twangy '60's country to control the demographics of his clientele
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

A little Buck Owens would run them off.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
A little Buck Owens would run them off.
Hell, go with Kitty Wells.

"Making be-LIEEEEEEEEve..." Even as a self-professed country fan, that woman is unbearable to listen to.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I have no idea how Johnnie Wright did it.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

"Making be-LIEEEEEEEEve..." Even as a self-professed country fan, that woman is unbearable to listen to.

Amazing the same genre and era could also produce the beauty of voices of Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Worked on Martians

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Amazing the same genre and era could also produce the beauty of voices of Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves
Thank Chet Atkins and the Nashville A-Team for that.

Part of the reason why Wells grates on me so badly... note the fiddles. Scratchy and painfully out of tune. Atkins knew that if people were going to listen to country, it'd have to be smoothed out. And by golly, he smoothed it out like a fresh-paved highway.

Offline goatprairie

Worked on Martians

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
I don't know if you could call Slim Whitman country.  Nevertheless, my head starts getting weird whenever I hear him on the radio.  *bouche*

Offline skeeter

Back in the 70s a local amusement park used to play ABBA to keep the urban gangs out.

Today they actually bus them in for free.

Offline The_Reader_David

Classical music also works for the same purpose.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
goat wrote:
"I don't know if it's possible to just outright ban teen miscreants."

No one is "banning" them.
They are just being persuaded to leave voluntarily.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
j myrle wrote:
"Part of the reason why Wells grates on me so badly... note the fiddles. Scratchy and painfully out of tune."

They weren't out-of-tune.
They were playin' note runs that didn't agree with you.
She sounded fine to me (and I'm "a bluegrass guy" -- a whole world apart from what most folks think is "country").

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Emmylou Harris did a much better job of that song.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
goat wrote:
"I don't know if it's possible to just outright ban teen miscreants."

No one is "banning" them.
They are just being persuaded to leave voluntarily.

Actually, they were banning them.  They were banning everybody, because the park was closed.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Emmylou Harris did a much better job of that song.

That's right - But then Emmylou Harris did a much better job singing anything.

:beer:

Although, still pretty much more a Tanya Tucker fan.