Author Topic: He Crushed an Empire: The Story of Navy Hero Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey  (Read 293 times)

rangerrebew

July 14, 2019

He Crushed an Empire: The Story of Navy Hero Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey

Here's what he did.
by Warfare History Network

The storm did not dampen Halsey’s aggressive spirit. Once his ships were mended, he requested permission to raid the enemy in the South China Sea. This he did throughout December 1944 and January 1945. His planes ranged far and wide, destroying what was left of Japanese commercial shipping and land-based planes from Saigon to Formosa.

Just before dawn, the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise turned into the wind to launch her planes. Nervous and excited pilots roared into the darkness of the vast Pacific toward the unsuspecting Japanese. The “Big E” would repeat this scene many times during the war, but this morning, January 31, 1942, in the Marshall Islands was the first time since Pearl Harbor that an American surface vessel had struck an offensive blow.
[text_ad]

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/he-crushed-empire-story-navy-hero-admiral-william-f-%E2%80%9Cbull%E2%80%9D-halsey-66857

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
July 14, 2019

He Crushed an Empire: The Story of Navy Hero Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey

Here's what he did.
by Warfare History Network

The storm did not dampen Halsey’s aggressive spirit. Once his ships were mended, he requested permission to raid the enemy in the South China Sea. This he did throughout December 1944 and January 1945. His planes ranged far and wide, destroying what was left of Japanese commercial shipping and land-based planes from Saigon to Formosa.

Just before dawn, the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise turned into the wind to launch her planes. Nervous and excited pilots roared into the darkness of the vast Pacific toward the unsuspecting Japanese. The “Big E” would repeat this scene many times during the war, but this morning, January 31, 1942, in the Marshall Islands was the first time since Pearl Harbor that an American surface vessel had struck an offensive blow.
[text_ad]

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/he-crushed-empire-story-navy-hero-admiral-william-f-%E2%80%9Cbull%E2%80%9D-halsey-66857

I went to elementary school with one of his daughters (I THINK it was 4th and 5th grade),and am proud to truthfully state that I knew her father was a national hero,and told her so.

Then again,I decided I wanted to be a paratrooper in the 3rd grade,so you know where my head was. Had to wait until I was 17 to accomplish that,though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:58:51 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

All honor to William Halsey.
However Douglas MacArthur crushed the Japanese Empire
by his Island hopping/seizing strategy as well as his selection
of bombing targets in the Pacific as well as in occupied Asian nations.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:10:38 am by Absalom »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen deserve the credit, for it was their blood on the line

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln