Author Topic: Acosta’s Sweetheart Deal Likely to Foreclose Epstein’s SDNY Prosecution ...Andrew C. McCarthy  (Read 730 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 National Review ›

Acosta’s Sweetheart Deal Likely to Foreclose Epstein’s SDNY Prosecution
Andrew C. McCarthy July 13, 2019

Double-jeopardy rules almost certainly prohibit settling a federal case and then prosecuting it again in federal court.

Alex Acosta did a bad job on the Jeffrey Epstein case. This column was nearly finished when news broke Friday that he would resign as labor secretary. I was going to argue that his lapses did not justify joining the nakedly political mau-mauing by Democrats who have no interest in exploring the behavior of Democrats who are neck-deep in a monstrous pedophile’s activities. My friend Jennifer Braceras has ably addressed that point in a Washington Examiner column. I was also going to add that I’d shed no tears if President Trump forced Acosta out — easy for me to say, since I think (a) he should never have been nominated in the first place, and (b) his commitment to Trump’s deregulation agenda has never been sufficiently ardent.

Under the circumstances, I’ll spare you a few hundred words of critique on Acosta’s indecorous performance. Instead, to cut to the chase, I do not believe we can yet total up the wages of the sweetheart deal he cut for Epstein while he was U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida (SD-Florida). The commentariat is glibly assuming the courts will give the feds a second bite at the apple by allowing the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York (SDNY) to prosecute the charges that Acosta forfeited. I don’t think so.

more
https://outline.com/GgzpHj
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
@Bigun

Some Grrrr here....

(I had assumed that the SDNY case was bringing new charges on new offenses.)

Is Andy jumping the gun here? 

Will time bring new charges on new offenses?  We assumed that superseding indictments were sure to come, is it farfetched to assume they will be new charges on new offenses?

Online Hoodat

National Review ›

Acosta’s Sweetheart Deal Likely to Foreclose Epstein’s SDNY Prosecution
Andrew C. McCarthy July 13, 2019

Double-jeopardy rules almost certainly prohibit settling a federal case and then prosecuting it again in federal court.

This story is ridiculous.  SDNY Justice Department prosecutors were perfectly free to go after Epstein at the same time Acosta was investigating him.  But these New York officials chose to do nothing that would tar this Democrat Party donor.  And double jeopardy doesn't apply to anything Epstein has done since 2008.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
McCarthy seems to be assuming Epstein committed no crimes since 2008.  Maybe that's all that's being charged at the moment, but i always thought the charges on the table now are just so they can hold him.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdJames

McCarthy seems to be assuming Epstein committed no crimes since 2008.  Maybe that's all that's being charged at the moment, but i always thought the charges on the table now are just so they can hold him.

Exactly what I had been thinking.  Andy seems to be jumping the gun here.....   or is he?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Exactly what I had been thinking.  Andy seems to be jumping the gun here.....   or is he?

I have no idea what special information he has.  I hope the SDNY has more to go on than ancient crimes from the Naughts.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

Some Grrrr here....

(I had assumed that the SDNY case was bringing new charges on new offenses.)

Is Andy jumping the gun here? 

Will time bring new charges on new offenses?  We assumed that superseding indictments were sure to come, is it farfetched to assume they will be new charges on new offenses?

I hope Andy is jumping the gun @EdJames!  The whole context of my question to you up thread was about the ability of a U.S. Attorney in one jurisdiction being able to preclude someone's prosecution for crimes committed in another jurisdiction.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

I hope Andy is jumping the gun @EdJames!  The whole context of my question to you up thread was about the ability of a U.S. Attorney in one jurisdiction being able to preclude someone's prosecution for crimes committed in another jurisdiction.

Well, it looks like Andy has seen the document as he provides excerpts...  he doesn't link it in, and I have not seen it available elsewhere....

He mentions that it contains very blanket statements such as "offenses against the United States" a few times.

And also brings out:

The non-pros further elaborates that Epstein’s conduct occurred with persons “known and unknown” to investigators. Implicitly, this is a statement that, while the government was aware of the kind of offenses that Epstein had committed, its evidence was not so comprehensive that it was aware of every single person involved. That is, with respect to Epstein, the agreement was meant to encompass all instances of the offenses described, even if the investigation had not yet identified all potential conspirators and victims.

So, assuming that Andy is correct about this, we all better be hoping that SDNY has new charges for new crimes that are not covered by what appears to be a big safety net that was thrown to Epstein...

@Bigun

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The deal also did not prevent U.S. attorneys outside the Southern District of Florida from pressing charges — as Berman did in his indictment on two counts of sexual trafficking between 2002 and 2005. Acosta told reporters that over the past decade, he kept reading about investigations of Epstein and he was glad New York “finally” stepped up.

https://spectator.org/acosta-the-only-prosecutor-to-put-jeffrey-epstein-behind-bars-loses-his-job/

Offline EdJames

The deal also did not prevent U.S. attorneys outside the Southern District of Florida from pressing charges — as Berman did in his indictment on two counts of sexual trafficking between 2002 and 2005. Acosta told reporters that over the past decade, he kept reading about investigations of Epstein and he was glad New York “finally” stepped up.

https://spectator.org/acosta-the-only-prosecutor-to-put-jeffrey-epstein-behind-bars-loses-his-job/

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,368414.msg2009468/topicseen.html#msg2009468

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Well, it looks like Andy has seen the document as he provides excerpts...  he doesn't link it in, and I have not seen it available elsewhere....

He mentions that it contains very blanket statements such as "offenses against the United States" a few times.

And also brings out:

So, assuming that Andy is correct about this, we all better be hoping that SDNY has new charges for new crimes that are not covered by what appears to be a big safety net that was thrown to Epstein...

@Bigun

@Ed James If Epstein truly is/was an Israeli asset all bets are off but I'm hoping that SDNY is charging with crimes committed in THAT jurisdiction.  I think that is pretty much all they CAN do unless things have mightily changed in the last several years.

P.S. I have not yet seen the SDNY charging documents.  Did I miss them?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:57:22 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

@Ed James If Epstein truly is/was an Israeli asset all bets are off but I'm hoping that SDNY is charging with crimes committed in THAT jurisdiction.  I think that is pretty much all they CAN do unless things have mightily changed in the last several years.

P.S. I have not yet seen the SDNY charging documents.  Did I miss them?

Available here: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/1181016/download

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Available here: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/1181016/download

Thanks @EdJames!  Cursory reading indicates that they appear to include several references to his home in NY which I highly doubt anything Acosta signed in Florida will have any impact on at all. Could be VERY wrong but if it does that, in itself, is HIGHLY unusual if not totally unheard of.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

SDNY Prosecutors are going to have to do better than a crime spree that ended in 2005.  If that's all they got then McCarthy's correct in his assessment in the OT.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdJames

Thanks @EdJames!  Cursory reading indicates that they appear to include several references to his home in NY which I highly doubt anything Acosta signed in Florida will have any impact on at all. Could be VERY wrong but if it does that, in itself, is HIGHLY unusual if not totally unheard of.

Well, that is the gist of what Andy is saying....  A very unusual blanket agreement....

Offline EdJames

SDNY Prosecutors are going to have to do better than a crime spree that ended in 2005.  If that's all they got then McCarthy's correct in his assessment in the OT.

They've got to bring more....

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Well, that is the gist of what Andy is saying....  A very unusual blanket agreement....

So who is /was the puppeteer?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
We may never know....

We know who the AG was at the time. ..

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

We know who the AG was at the time. ..

That we do....  and who was POTUS...

(I've seen it speculated that it was a call from the top, along the lines of: take this off the shelf, election is coming up and anything that gets too close to WJC may look bad for HRC....  if you recall, all this got underway before the Democrat candidate for 2008 was chosen...)

:shrug:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
That we do....  and who was POTUS...

(I've seen it speculated that it was a call from the top, along the lines of: take this off the shelf, election is coming up and anything that gets too close to WJC may look bad for HRC....  if you recall, all this got underway before the Democrat candidate for 2008 was chosen...)

:shrug:

I'm far beyond being surprised by anything now days.

- J. R. R. Tolkien