Author Topic: These Republicans signed the ‘never Trump’ letters in 2016. Now some are having second thoughts.  (Read 5093 times)

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Then why is it so common for Republicans like you to hold in contempt those who are no longer tolerant of the fact that the Republican party is not interested in anything we think or do?

Serious question.

Because I'm in the same boat with @roamer_1  .......... though more recently at the point he has been for a while.
There is no one in either party who represents me, or in my view, the Constitutional principles this country was founded upon.

Why hold in contempt those who have said, no more to a political party that apparently is without standards?

I disagree with your premise.

I speak only for myself, and I REACT to criticism. Go ahead and support no one, while I don't agree I really don't care enough to comment unless asked/provoked. I see many others here doing the same.

But don't tell me I lack principles/standards/morals/whatever because I choose to support with my vote the best available choice.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@skeeter

Then why is it so common for Republicans like you to hold in contempt those who are no longer tolerant of the fact that the Republican party is not interested in anything we think or do?

Serious question.

Because I'm in the same boat with @roamer_1  .......... though more recently at the point he has been for a while.
There is no one in either party who represents me, or in my view, the Constitutional principles this country was founded upon.

Why hold in contempt those who have said, no more to a political party that apparently is without standards?

I don't get why disagreement,  even strong at times, somehow equals contempt.   Just me.

I strongly disagree with one element of @roamer_1 s argument  ( refusing to vote for Trump because he isn't perfect)  but I would happily share a campfire with him anytime.  Hope he feels the same.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:52:19 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

After what happened to Cruz in Texas in 2018, I will be voting for Trump in 2020, 38 Electoral Votes is nothing to sneeze at, it's important.  (Don't tell RiV and DCP.)

My party is still a few dollars short and a year or two late.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

I didn’t vote for Trump and am not likely to again because the primary reasons I voted against him still exist.

That said, I sometimes wonder if he wants to be re-elected.  He’s got the election in the bag because of the radical bozos running for the dem nomination.

But he keeps saying idiotic things and firing up the left, and reminding independents why they don’t like him.

If he just shut up, he’d win.  :shrug:

I have often wondered if Trump wants to be re-elected; but he has announced he's running for re-election and held a rally which was packed (as usual).

I don't think he's got the election in the bag, because of the leftist bozos running.  I think candidates like Harris and Castro need to be taken very seriously...perhaps even Biden.  Recall how narrowly Cruz won in TX and consider how quickly the demographics are changing; many residents are fleeing blue states into more affordable red states.  Those states that were solid red before could very easily turn purple.

Also, I think the blatant mid term corruption that was on display was just a taste of what we'll see in 2020.

The 2020 election is going to be a very tough win for Trump and the GOP and quite possibly the last time that the GOP will ever be seated due to changing demographics and the surge of asylum seekers that will be eligible for citizenship by the 2024 election.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

After what happened to Cruz in Texas in 2018, I will be voting for Trump in 2020, 38 Electoral Votes is nothing to sneeze at, it's important.  (Don't tell RiV and DCP.)

My party is still a few dollars short and a year or two late.

They have never been able to acquire ballot access in all 50 states.  I received an e-mail from them awhile ago stating that they were thinking of changing their platform to attract more voters.  I voiced by objection and I have not heard from them since.

It is very unfortunate, but they have never received even 1% of the vote.

I did vote for the Constitution Party in 2008.  That was the year that they received the most votes ever.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

Fact is you, sneering from the sidelines, professes contempt for those of us who believe in doing something, anything to move our beliefs forward. Not impressed.

Then obviously your beliefs are different than my own, and there is nothing left to say.

Offline skeeter

Then obviously your beliefs are different than my own, and there is nothing left to say.

I suspect it is our respective temperaments that are different.

Online roamer_1

I don't get why disagreement,  even strong at times, somehow equals contempt.   Just me.

I strongly disagree with one element of @roamer_1 s argument  ( refusing to vote for Trump because he isn't perfect)  but I would happily share a campfire with him anytime.  Hope he feels the same.

It isn't that he isn't perfect - no man is.
But not being perfect is different than being a man of low moral character.
Add to that that he is hawking an illusion and walking folks down the garden path, and THAT is why I refuse - I never go down the garden path. I know what's at the end of that.
And soon friend, you will too.

As to the rest, you are welcome at my fire anytime. Or on my porch.
We agree on way more than we disagree on.
 :beer:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It isn't that he isn't perfect - no man is.
But not being perfect is different than being a man of low moral character.
Add to that that he is hawking an illusion and walking folks down the garden path, and THAT is why I refuse - I never go down the garden path. I know what's at the end of that.
And soon friend, you will too.

As to the rest, you are welcome at my fire anytime. Or on my porch.
We agree on way more than we disagree on.
 :beer:  :beer:

888high58888

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

I suspect it is our respective temperaments that are different.

No, you have stated that I held contempt for you because you are pushing your beliefs forward - The only contempt I have shown ever toward any individual because of beliefs are those antithetical to my own.

If you are in that camp, then so be it.

Offline skeeter

No, you have stated that I held contempt for you because you are pushing your beliefs forward - The only contempt I have shown ever toward any individual because of beliefs are those antithetical to my own.

If you are in that camp, then so be it.

No thats not what I stated, and the only belief I have which seems to be antithetical to your own is a belief that some good can still be gained from the system we have. For THAT you have expressed contempt for ME.

So be it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:21:39 pm by skeeter »

Online roamer_1

For THAT you have expressed contempt for ME.

Bullshit.

I very rarely direct my ire at !YOU!, regardless of the !YOU! I am speaking to.

I have expressed great contempt for Tumpy the clown.
I have expressed  great contempt for the Republican party (*SPIT*)
I have even sneered contemptuously at the undying fealty of Trumpeteers.
None of that is !YOU!.

Offline skeeter

Bullshit.

None of that is !YOU!.

Me: I think I understand. But there is no reason for you to hold those of us still having some vestige of faith in the system in such contempt.

You: Sure there is, as long as it holds the illusion of conservatism.

Online roamer_1

Me: I think I understand. But there is no reason for you to hold those of us still having some vestige of faith in the system in such contempt.

You: Sure there is, as long as it holds the illusion of conservatism.

That is not !YOU!.
You just figger the shoe fits.

And again, you are welcome to show me which principles of conservatism are being upheld by this administration and by the Republican party at large - And I am really interested in what that could be.

Because according to my 50+ years, Republicans haven't done a damn thing.

Online roamer_1

@skeeter

To clarify:

'Those of us' is a group, not a !YOU!
That you happen to include yourself in that group, it is still a group, not !YOU!.

Online corbe

O/T I want to take this opportunity to Thank @roamer_1 on that tip months ago about upgrading to Win10 for free.  :beer:

*He's got hacks like a Russian.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:47:26 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline musiclady

I disagree with your premise.

I speak only for myself, and I REACT to criticism. Go ahead and support no one, while I don't agree I really don't care enough to comment unless asked/provoked. I see many others here doing the same.

But don't tell me I lack principles/standards/morals/whatever because I choose to support with my vote the best available choice.

I don't think you lack principles at all.

But you do voice a form of contempt when you say, "Go ahead and support no one."   That is not a fair assessment of what is going on with people who cannot support Trump.

It is not an either you support Trump or you support no one option here.

I'll gladly support a qualified conservative should one appear and run for President in 2020.

It's not got going to happen, but in saying that, it doesn't mean I support no one.

That is an insult, not a response.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online roamer_1

O/T I want to take this opportunity to Thank @roamer_1 on that tip months ago about upgrading to Win10 for free.  :beer:

*He's got hacks like a Russian.

Always happy to help, @corbe

But it's the Czechs, not the Russians...  :shrug:

Offline musiclady

All disagreement is not contempt. 

Some is.

There are a handful of people here (and on every forum) who cannot handle disagreement without slinging insults around.  You can.  I can.

btw, I was just responding in like kind to @skeeter 's comment that he was held in contempt (merely because of a disagreement with @roamer_1 ),by turning his insult around on him.

I don't think he got it, though.   :shrug:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
All disagreement is not contempt. 

Some is.

There are a handful of people here (and on every forum) who cannot handle disagreement without slinging insults around.  You can.  I can.

btw, I was just responding in like kind to @skeeter 's comment that he was held in contempt (merely because of a disagreement with @roamer_1 ),by turning his insult around on him.

I don't think he got it, though.   :shrug:

888high58888  got it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

I don't think you lack principles at all.

But you do voice a form of contempt when you say, "Go ahead and support no one."   That is not a fair assessment of what is going on with people who cannot support Trump.

It is not an either you support Trump or you support no one option here.

I'll gladly support a qualified conservative should one appear and run for President in 2020.

It's not got going to happen, but in saying that, it doesn't mean I support no one.

That is an insult, not a response.

I apologize for insulting you. It was entirely inadvertent.

Offline musiclady

I have often wondered if Trump wants to be re-elected; but he has announced he's running for re-election and held a rally which was packed (as usual).

I don't think he's got the election in the bag, because of the leftist bozos running.  I think candidates like Harris and Castro need to be taken very seriously...perhaps even Biden.  Recall how narrowly Cruz won in TX and consider how quickly the demographics are changing; many residents are fleeing blue states into more affordable red states.  Those states that were solid red before could very easily turn purple.

Also, I think the blatant mid term corruption that was on display was just a taste of what we'll see in 2020.

The 2020 election is going to be a very tough win for Trump and the GOP and quite possibly the last time that the GOP will ever be seated due to changing demographics and the surge of asylum seekers that will be eligible for citizenship by the 2024 election.

Just to clarify....... I take the bozos seriously because there is a radical element in our country which wants to take power.

I just firmly believe that, with a solid economy, even though Trump is a complete jerk who continues to act like a jackass, he would win reelection over any one of them if he even came close to acting like a statesman, or even a decent human being.

He won in 2016 in spite of himself, and he could do it again, but he seems to be actively trying to lose by his idiocy.

I guess he is who he is, and it is hopeless to think he'll gain any self-control or maturity in the coming months.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Bullshit.

None of that is !YOU!.

Then one question, please?

When I, or somebody of like mind says "All !YOU! effing NeverTrumers can GFY"...does the post get removed and get jumped on by certain 'Moderators'?

:shrug:

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

I apologize for insulting you. It was entirely inadvertent.

Apology gladly accepted.

There's a lot of inadvertent stuff that happens when we state strong beliefs.

It happens to everyone, methinks.....

Offline musiclady