Author Topic: Ted Cruz Slams Tennessee Law Honoring Confederate General, KKK Grand Wizard Nathan Bedford Forest  (Read 3652 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Technically, Algore is not from Tennessee.  He was born elsewhere.

And attended only the very best boarding schools while living in the luxury suite of a very grand hotel.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

This Texan is forever Grateful to a few Tennesseans that made the ultimate sacrifice for TEXAS, Kentucky and West 'by G_d' Virginia, too.  The Republic of Texas would have been delayed a couple of years and probably not happened at all, being directly absorbed into the 'impatient' USA, if not for their Courage and Honor of those brave.
   Texas Republic with it's own Constitution.

Absolutely.
 :amen:
The Volunteer state.

For the record, I'm wasn't upset that they have our Oilers, but I was upset that Bud Adams moved them.
Not Tennessee's fault, it's Bud Adams fault.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I seem to recall that NBF disavowed the KKK after a few years?

• Technical
Changing opinion on race (1870s)
After the lynch mob murder of four blacks, arrested for defending themselves at a barbecue, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor John C. Brown in August 1874 and "volunteered to help 'exterminate' those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks", offering "to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes".[124]

On July 5, 1875, Forrest gave a speech before the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association, a post-war organization of black Southerners advocating to improve the economic condition of blacks and to gain equal rights for all citizens. At this, his last public appearance, he made what The New York Times described as a "friendly speech"[172][173] during which, when offered a bouquet of flowers by a young black woman, he accepted them,[174] thanked her and kissed her on the cheek. Forrest spoke in encouragement of black advancement and of endeavoring to be a proponent for espousing peace and harmony between black and white Americans.[175]

In response to the Pole-Bearers speech, the Cavalry Survivors Association of Augusta, the first Confederate organization formed after the war, called a meeting in which Captain F. Edgeworth Eve gave a speech expressing unmitigated disapproval of Forrest's remarks promoting inter-ethnic harmony, ridiculing his faculties and judgment and berating the woman who gave Forrest flowers as "a mulatto wench". The association voted unanimously to amend its constitution to expressly forbid publicly advocating for or hinting at any association of white women and girls as being in the same classes as "females of the negro race".[176][177] The Macon Weekly Telegraph newspaper also condemned Forrest for his speech, describing the event as "the recent disgusting exhibition of himself at the negro [sic] jamboree" and quoting part of a Charlotte Observer article, which read "We have infinitely more respect for Longstreet, who fraternizes with negro men on public occasions, with the pay for the treason to his race in his pocket, than with Forrest and [General] Pillow, who equalize with the negro women, with only 'futures' in payment".[178][179]

Nothing is as simple as people make it out to be huh?

Offline GrouchoTex

I'm not going to go too crazy over this.
I'll still support Cruz as our senator.
He's had a history of taking on things that or outside of the mainstream viewpoint, some things that make people uncomfortable, so I chalk this one up to one of those times.
When he agrees with our views, we all say "hooray".
On the occasions when he doesn't, we all say "hmmmmmm..."
More often than not, we are in agreement, but I never expect to be in 100% agreement with any human being, let alone, a politician.
Calling him a RINO is pretty absurd.
This is the guy John McCain called a "Wacko bird", and said that he and his fellow tea party patriots should go back to their hobbit holes.
Anybody that could have made John McCain make a statement like that, is okay in my book.
It helped to show us, once again, who the real RINOs are/were.

Online Hoodat

Changing opinion on race (1870s)
After the lynch mob murder of four blacks, arrested for defending themselves at a barbecue, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor John C. Brown in August 1874 and "volunteered to help 'exterminate' those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks", offering "to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes".[124]

On July 5, 1875, Forrest gave a speech before the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association, a post-war organization of black Southerners advocating to improve the economic condition of blacks and to gain equal rights for all citizens. At this, his last public appearance, he made what The New York Times described as a "friendly speech"[172][173] during which, when offered a bouquet of flowers by a young black woman, he accepted them,[174] thanked her and kissed her on the cheek. Forrest spoke in encouragement of black advancement and of endeavoring to be a proponent for espousing peace and harmony between black and white Americans.[175]

In response to the Pole-Bearers speech, the Cavalry Survivors Association of Augusta, the first Confederate organization formed after the war, called a meeting in which Captain F. Edgeworth Eve gave a speech expressing unmitigated disapproval of Forrest's remarks promoting inter-ethnic harmony, ridiculing his faculties and judgment and berating the woman who gave Forrest flowers as "a mulatto wench". The association voted unanimously to amend its constitution to expressly forbid publicly advocating for or hinting at any association of white women and girls as being in the same classes as "females of the negro race".[176][177] The Macon Weekly Telegraph newspaper also condemned Forrest for his speech, describing the event as "the recent disgusting exhibition of himself at the negro [sic] jamboree" and quoting part of a Charlotte Observer article, which read "We have infinitely more respect for Longstreet, who fraternizes with negro men on public occasions, with the pay for the treason to his race in his pocket, than with Forrest and [General] Pillow, who equalize with the negro women, with only 'futures' in payment".[178][179]

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Thanks for posting.  Do you have a link?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

And now for a musical interlude:

Grateful Dead  -  Tennessee Jed

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

And now for a musical interlude:

Grateful Dead  -  Tennessee Jed

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Baby, won't you carry meeeeeeeeeee..........

Back to Tennessee.

( i knew this without listening to the clip. What do I win?)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Okay.....

Here is my take on it.  NBF is a polarizing figure in confederate lore, an outstanding general, and yes......  one of the progenitors of the KKK.

I have no problem with what Cruz is saying.....   HOWEVER......   

Tennessee...   How about instead of honoring NBF, why don't you (1) enact legislation protecting the graves and statues of confedrate soldiers against vandalism, and vile SJW monument removal tactics

....and (2) Change NBF Day to Confederate Soldiers Day, honoring the young men (90% which did not own slaves) for their bravery and valor during the WBTS

888high58888
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Hoodat

Baby, won't you carry meeeeeeeeeee..........

Back to Tennessee.

( i knew this without listening to the clip. What do I win?)

Tell him what he's won, Don Pardo . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

Why certainly @Hoodat , he's won a trip to Montgomery in the Rain.

Hank Williams Jr- Montgomery In The Rain

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline conservativevoter

@catfish 1957, ed james.... et al:

I have followed the ACW for many years, and actually find NBF to be a fascinating figure.  He could be called both smart and brash (thinking of Ft. Donelson here).  One thing I would not accuse him of is being smart enough to organize a group like the KKK.  Several times I have come across people who insist it was NOT Forrest who invented the Klan ideology, but Robert E. Lee who spoke of having some one to 'take care of THOSE people'.  Lee never recognized the North as having morals, brains, decency, or anything of value.  Northeners were always 'those people'.  I am a bit amazed that any state would have a NBF day.  Honoring the men who chose to fight for their side, who gave up the chance to have family and friends, to keep a country together should be the right thing to do.   So .... Was Forrest the actual founder of the KKK?   Lee always seemed to get what he wanted just because he was Robert E. Lee, a son of Lighthorse Harry.

Online berdie

@catfish 1957, ed james.... et al:

I have followed the ACW for many years, and actually find NBF to be a fascinating figure.  He could be called both smart and brash (thinking of Ft. Donelson here).  One thing I would not accuse him of is being smart enough to organize a group like the KKK.  Several times I have come across people who insist it was NOT Forrest who invented the Klan ideology, but Robert E. Lee who spoke of having some one to 'take care of THOSE people'.  Lee never recognized the North as having morals, brains, decency, or anything of value.  Northeners were always 'those people'.  I am a bit amazed that any state would have a NBF day.  Honoring the men who chose to fight for their side, who gave up the chance to have family and friends, to keep a country together should be the right thing to do.   So .... Was Forrest the actual founder of the KKK?   Lee always seemed to get what he wanted just because he was Robert E. Lee, a son of Lighthorse Harry.

Why did you bring Robert E. Lee into this??? Them's fighting words. And I am a Texan that has no real allegiance.

The only thing I will say is...NBF wasn't the worst...or the best. (From what I have read)  Well, he was a great military commander.  happy77

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Technically, Algore is not from Tennessee.  He was born elsewhere.
Well, technically Davy Crockett was not born in Tennessee either but that state still considers him a son.

I’d claim Davy for Texas if I could, just like we like to claim old Sam Houston.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

Several times I have come across people who insist it was NOT Forrest who invented the Klan ideology, but Robert E. Lee who spoke of having some one to 'take care of THOSE people'.  Lee never recognized the North as having morals, brains, decency, or anything of value. 

Pure unadulterated BS.

Now we are in a state of war, which will yield to nothing. The whole South is in a state of revolution…and though I recognize no necessity for this state of things, and would have forborne and pleaded to the end for redress of grievances, real or supposed…I had to meet the question whether I should take part against my native state.

With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have, therefore, resigned my commission in the Army, and, save in defense of my native state, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword.

R.E. Lee, 1861

Lee was a surprisingly progressive educator; by employing his lifelong practices in economy, he placed the institution on a sound basis and awakened in his students—many of whom were veterans of the recent war—the desire to rebuild their state with the goal of good citizenship in a nation that in time would become reunited. He died in 1870 at his home at Washington College.

Although history knows him mostly as “the Rebel General,” Lee was a disbeliever in slavery and secession and was devoutly attached to the republic that his father and kinsmen had helped bring into being. He was, moreover, very advanced in his rejection of war as a resolution of political conflicts—a fact that has been almost entirely ignored by posterity. As a U.S. Army colonel in Texas during the secession crises of late 1860, he wrote, “[If] strife and civil war are to take the place of brotherly love and kindness, I shall mourn for my country and for the welfare and progress of mankind.”

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Robert-E-Lee/Postwar-years-and-position-in-history

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

• Technical
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Thanks for posting.  Do you have a link?

It's in the NBF wikipedia link (amazingly enough):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

I'm a Yankee through and through and don't really have much patience for the Confederate apologists but NBF is not the simple villian people have made him out to be.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
:yowsa:

Owl Gore didn't fall far from the tree at all!  His father, Albert Gore Sr. was the guy Armand Hammer pointed to and then to his back pocket.  Armand's father Julius was the holder of membership card #0000001 in The Communist Party of the United States.

@Bigun

Goober Sr was nothing more than a spokescritter for his wife. She was a communist agent that married Goober Sr when he was a high school teacher and she,IIRC,had just graduated from Vanderbilt U with a law degree. You tell ME who had the brains and held the reins in that marriage! She not only  brought the brains,she brought the cash and the volunteers he needed to get elected to public office,and may have even bought the votes.

I did have a quote of hers from when she was overheard talking about her husband and son to a friend,and said the father was stupid enough,but the boy bordered on being untrainable.

She also had a brother that became a federal judge in I THINK Kentucky that was removed from the bench after being convicted of corruption a decade or two ago.

But.....,you are correct that it was Armand Hammer that was the leader in that cell. His sister,Goober Sr's wife and Goober Jr's mother,was the handler.

Just like Babs Bush was the brains in the Bush Crime family,and the handler there. Between the Bush Crime Family and the Clinton Crime Family,they had both sides of the Fascist Government Card covered. That's why they were such great pals after Boy Jorge left office.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And attended only the very best boarding schools while living in the luxury suite of a very grand hotel.

@Bigun

Luckily for him,they were also schools where it would have been impossible for him to fail.

Remember his wedding photos,were newly drafted PRIVATE Al Gore Jr married Tipsy while wearing the dress blue uniform of an Army Officer (it was borrowed) just before going to VN?

IIRC,you can look at the photos and see that there were several prominent Generals attending the wedding,and not a single one of them had anything to say about Goober Jr impersonating a commissioned officer.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I seem to recall that NBF disavowed the KKK after a few years?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

He did,but it was after he got old and was no longer active. Once he dropped out the pinheads took over,primarily the "Praise de lawd!" people.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nothing is as simple as people make it out to be huh?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

True,but NOTHING is as righteous as a man or woman of principles that stands by them when the going gets tough.

NBF was such a man,and a hero for all time.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

True,but NOTHING is as righteous as a man or woman of principles that stands by them when the going gets tough.

NBF was such a man,and a hero for all time.
I think the substantive history he has confirms this.

On the other hand, there are at least one here who believes him to be a worm, without substantiation of any sort.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,368323.msg2009057.html#msg2009057
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think the substantive history he has confirms this.

On the other hand, there are at least one here who believes him to be a worm, without substantiation of any sort.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,368323.msg2009057.html#msg2009057

@IsailedawayfromFR

This is America. There is no law against being a fool as long as you ain't playing in traffic or waving your weenie at wimmins and chil-runs.