Author Topic: Win10 1903  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Win10 1903
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:33:17 pm »
I got my usual batch of updates mid-week, and both of my desktops now say they're ready to download and install 1903. My laptop tells me it's up to date, but "not quite ready" for 1903 and I should check later (?).

So, anyone here have any feedback on 1903 yet? These major updates sometimes screw up a few things like folder view settings and turning unwanted Win "features" back on.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Win10 1903
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 04:13:17 pm »
Don't know if it was 1903, but my brand-new Lenovo laptop failed a W10 update a couple days ago.  I've had trouble with it since I first took it out of the box, so it's at the Lenovo warranty repair location now.  Not enough RAM was a big problem to start with.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 04:18:18 pm »
The IT Support group in our company sent out an alert earlier this week to not install update 1903, as it may sometimes corrupt the OS.  But I don't know anything more about it than that.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:23:08 pm »
I got my usual batch of updates mid-week, and both of my desktops now say they're ready to download and install 1903. My laptop tells me it's up to date, but "not quite ready" for 1903 and I should check later (?).

So, anyone here have any feedback on 1903 yet? These major updates sometimes screw up a few things like folder view settings and turning unwanted Win "features" back on.

I think all 10 of mine have gone through , with the exception of my secondary laptop. It ain't 'ready' either, which likely means there is a driver in that box with known issues they have not got around to fixing yet.

No major problems with the update, and nothing real noticeable different with the excepetion of the Login screen, which now blurs the background.

Pretty much an HP house, with a Dell or two... Workgroup net... and I manage 'features' with O&O Shutup10 and Appbuster... And yeah I had to shut stuff off again in shutup10

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:37:48 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 05:31:08 pm »
I'll hold off for a while - I already have enough issues to sort out. I've got a problem with Firefox's built-in PDF previewer showing mostly blank pages, and on the laptop no PDF option at all in the settings. On the other desktop the PDF previewer is still working fine. I also just installed MySQL and it seems to be causing a conflict with another service - I have to stop one service when using the other.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:56:12 pm »
I'll hold off for a while - I already have enough issues to sort out. I've got a problem with Firefox's built-in PDF previewer showing mostly blank pages, and on the laptop no PDF option at all in the settings. On the other desktop the PDF previewer is still working fine. I also just installed MySQL and it seems to be causing a conflict with another service - I have to stop one service when using the other.

Firefox:
Firefox=OFF
Find your profile folder and back it up.

On Windows Vista and above, profile folders are in this location, by default:

C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>

Then delete everything in the folder (not the folder itself).

Start FF, and it will automatically rebuild a profile at that location.

Check your PDF in the newly constructed profile... If it still does not work, then the fault is in the main app. so FF needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled fresh.

If it works, the fault is in your old profile data, which will have to be rebuilt to suit you.

To revert to your old profile, simply copy it back into the profile directory...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 06:13:33 pm »
@roamer_1  I'll be PMing you when I get my new Lenovo back from the Warranty shop in a week or so.  There is a lot of crap to cut from a factory machine.  Scores of background processes running, I'm sure most of them are BS.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »
@roamer_1  I'll be PMing you when I get my new Lenovo back from the Warranty shop in a week or so.  There is a lot of crap to cut from a factory machine.  Scores of background processes running, I'm sure most of them are BS.

@Cyber Liberty
You are welcome anytime...  :beer:
There isn't much you can do if you are signing into MS and using Cortana, and etc...

But if you can live with a local login and a bunch of the happy birthday crap turned off, all you really need is Shutup10.

Download it, make a folder in the root, drop it in there, and run it.
When the dialog comes up, choose the 'Actions' pulldown and poke the yellow option.
close the program. it will ask to restart the box, and when it comes back up all the telemetry to MS will be gone.

You will need to update the app now and then, and you will need to run it after any major update to Win to reset what MS turns back on...

Because Win is always updating and changing, I am not much of an advocate for custom trimming and hacking, because keeping track of it becomes pretty impossible... That's why I recommend Shutup10, as it is the easiest way to do a pretty good job...

Additionally DL O&O Appbuster, drop it in the same folder, and run it...
It will give you incremental and excellent control over all of the apps included in Win10 - a one-stop way to uninstall, reinstall, disable, enable all of it.

Between the two, they make managing the impositions of WIN10 a breeze.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 06:57:36 pm »
I found disabling internet access at the router worked wonders for 10.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:14:40 pm »

@Cyber Liberty
You are welcome anytime...  :beer:
There isn't much you can do if you are signing into MS and using Cortana, and etc...

But if you can live with a local login and a bunch of the happy birthday crap turned off, all you really need is Shutup10.

Download it, make a folder in the root, drop it in there, and run it.
When the dialog comes up, choose the 'Actions' pulldown and poke the yellow option.
close the program. it will ask to restart the box, and when it comes back up all the telemetry to MS will be gone.

You will need to update the app now and then, and you will need to run it after any major update to Win to reset what MS turns back on...

Because Win is always updating and changing, I am not much of an advocate for custom trimming and hacking, because keeping track of it becomes pretty impossible... That's why I recommend Shutup10, as it is the easiest way to do a pretty good job...

Additionally DL O&O Appbuster, drop it in the same folder, and run it...
It will give you incremental and excellent control over all of the apps included in Win10 - a one-stop way to uninstall, reinstall, disable, enable all of it.

Between the two, they make managing the impositions of WIN10 a breeze.

We'll be in touch.

I can't get either of those DLs to install on this Win10 machine.  When I run the .exe files, I get a splash screen that disappears before I can read it, and then it doesn't show up in the Task Manager.  :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 07:17:24 pm »
We'll be in touch.

I can't get either of those DLs to install on this Win10 machine.  When I run the .exe files, I get a splash screen that disappears before I can read it, and then it doesn't show up in the Task Manager.  :shrug:

Try run as admin... Though I sure don't have to.... dunno.  :shrug:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 07:28:19 pm »
Try run as admin... Though I sure don't have to.... dunno.  :shrug:

I'm an Admin.  :shrug:

Not really important right now, this isn't the new box.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 07:39:07 pm »
I'm an Admin.  :shrug:

Not really important right now, this isn't the new box.

Must be an AV or whitelist thing.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 08:06:25 pm »
Must be an AV or whitelist thing.

I haven't really started trying yet.  It's the box I don't have with me that needs playing with.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 08:16:47 pm »
I haven't really started trying yet.  It's the box I don't have with me that needs playing with.

ALL of them need playing with - If you successfully run ShutUp10 you will find a nice eyebrow raising increase in performance.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 08:23:42 pm »
ALL of them need playing with - If you successfully run ShutUp10 you will find a nice eyebrow raising increase in performance.

That's why this box is not that important.  I D/Led Shutup10 months ago at your suggestion, and it runs fine still.  Good product!  The App Remover is made by the same folks, I see.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 08:33:07 pm »
That's why this box is not that important.  I D/Led Shutup10 months ago at your suggestion, and it runs fine still.  Good product!  The App Remover is made by the same folks, I see.

YEP. It is quite handy...  happy77