Author Topic: The Legal Case for Trump's Position of Stripping Flag Burners of Citizenship  (Read 355 times)

rangerrebew

The Legal Case for Trump's Position of Stripping Flag Burners of Citizenship
July 12, 2019
Daniel Greenfield

After President Trump tweeted, "Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!", YouGov polled the subject.

Roughly two-thirds (67%) of Republicans support this idea, while just 29% of independents and about a quarter of Democrats feel the same. A majority of both Democrats and independents are opposed to revoking US citizenship for flag-burners.

In general, Republicans may have stronger feelings about America’s flag. YouGov research finds that Republicans (68%) are nearly twice as likely as Democrats (36%) to say they are “patriotic” in their political views.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/point/274287/legal-case-trumps-position-stripping-flag-burners-daniel-greenfield

Offline aligncare

Our troops take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution and flag of the United States. I took that oath. If I should betray that duty, there would be consequences.

There are ways for citizens to oppose government policy or action that does not involve burning the constitution or the flag. To burn the flag is a clear denunciation of what America stands for.

I like the idea of stripping citizenship. You make your bed, lie in it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Good luck getting this past the first District Court that hears a case. *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

Burning the flag is hard-core, fundamental First Amendment territory.  It is core political speech.