Author Topic: Live Thread Storm Updates: President Trump declares state of emergency in Louisiana, sends federal  (Read 2136 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Live Thread Storm Updates:  President Trump declares state of emergency in Louisiana, sends federal assistance ahead of Tropical Storm Barry
Fox News, Jul 12, 2019

President Trump declared a federal emergency for Louisiana on Thursday night, authorizing the Department of Homeland Security and Federal Emergency Management Agency to coordinate all disaster relief efforts ahead of the strengthening of Tropical Storm Barry.

Trump approved the federal assistance at the request of Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, who noted that within the past 24 hours, 28 parishes had issued emergency declarations and 14 were in the process of doing so. Residents have been stacking sandbags or fleeing to higher ground in preparation for torrential downpours, with heavy flooding expected once the storm makes landfall from the Gulf of Mexico either late Friday or early Saturday.

Trump tweeted Thursday evening: “To everyone on the Gulf Coast: As you make preparations to protect your homes & loved ones from flooding & the coming storm, it is imperative that you heed the directions of @FEMA, State & Local Officials. We are working closely w/ them. Please be prepared, be careful, & be SAFE!”

Edwards expressed appreciation for the president's action in a Twitter message of his own.

“Thank you President Trump for quickly responding to my request for a federal disaster declaration,” the Democrat wrote. "We appreciate the support of the White House and our federal partners as we continue our unprecedented flood fight and respond to Tropical Storm."

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/us/president-trump-declares-state-of-emergency-in-lousiana-sends-federal-assistance-ahead-of-tropical-storm-barry

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:03:06 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Applewood

Good of Trump to mobilize resources quickly, although I guess he has to because he would not want to blamed for any damage or fatalities as President Bush was for Katrina. 

I might suggest  though that he send a fleet of buses or some other modes of transportation to get people out of harm's way since it seems from Katrina  a good number of people in that region don't know what "evacuating" is and how to do so.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Make this the live thread..we have several members in harms way...

@Right_in_Virginia
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:02:07 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Red Cross shelters are now open as Tropical Storm Barry approaches land

The American Red Cross is making resources available to Louisiana ahead of Tropical Storm Barry.

In a statement, the organization said they are mobilizing volunteers, shelters, relief supplies, vehicles and other equipment for people on the coast.

Here are some of the resources they will have available and how you can take advantage of them if you are stuck in the storm:

Shelters are now open: If you need a safe place to go call 2-1-1, visit redcross.org or download the Red Cross Emergency App.
    Stay connected: The Red Cross Emergency App can be used to get real-time weather alerts, find open shelters and get expert advice on hurricanes and flooding. Many local parishes and cities are also offering their own emergency alert system that residents can subscribe to.
    Stay safe: Pack an emergency kit, listen to your local radio and be prepared to evacuate.
Support the USO

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:12:03 pm by EdJames »

Offline EdJames

Offline Applewood

God bless all of our members in the path of this storm.  Stay safe.

Offline berdie

Good of Trump to mobilize resources quickly, although I guess he has to because he would not want to blamed for any damage or fatalities as President Bush was for Katrina. 

I might suggest  though that he send a fleet of buses or some other modes of transportation to get people out of harm's way since it seems from Katrina  a good number of people in that region don't know what "evacuating" is and how to do so.

Well, Bush did the same. But that kooky, crying, shaking Governor (whatever her name is...I don't want to look it up) wouldn't allow the Ntl Guard in the state. Unless it has changed...Trump can stage an army...but and unless the powers that be allow them in...no dice. I think there are some Repubs in office now...so it may be different this time.

As far as busses...the goofy mayor had plenty. (Although I found "Chocolate City Nagin" amusing...the people wouldn't leave.

Offline berdie

God bless all of our members in the path of this storm.  Stay safe.

Totally agree!!!

Online rustynail

Kathleen Blanco.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Everybody stay safe.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Well, Bush did the same. But that kooky, crying, shaking Governor (whatever her name is...I don't want to look it up) wouldn't allow the Ntl Guard in the state. Unless it has changed...Trump can stage an army...but and unless the powers that be allow them in...no dice. I think there are some Repubs in office now...so it may be different this time.

As far as busses...the goofy mayor had plenty. (Although I found "Chocolate City Nagin" amusing...the people wouldn't leave.

Kathlene Blanco is the name you are looking for I believe.  And don't forget Ray (Chocolate) Nagin.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:06:46 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
New Orleans' levees face a hard test as storm bears down

Houston Chronicle By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN 7/12/2019

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/texas/article/New-Orleans-levees-face-a-hard-test-as-storm-14090212.php

---The river was expected to crest at about 19 feet (5.8 meters) on Saturday in New Orleans, where the levees protecting it from the water range from about 20 to 25 feet (6 to 7.5 meters) in height, said Jeff Graschel, a hydrologist with the National Weather Service.

The weather service also was expecting the water to stay below the river's levees, which haven't been overtopped in New Orleans since the early 1920s. But state officials warned that a change in the storm's direction or intensity could change that.

To prepare, workers were shoring up at least two areas along the city's levee system, Boyett said. They piled up "stoplogs," or metal beams, and topped them with sheet metal to add height to Harvey Lock, a break in the levee across the river from the city's Lower 9th Ward, which was all but wiped out during Katrina. Workers also used Hesco baskets, a type of flood barrier, to add 3 feet (almost 1 meter) to the river levee at the Corps' headquarters in New Orleans.

"We're confident in the integrity of the levees," Boyett said. "They're designed to hold this pressure."

But 14 years after Katrina's monster storm surge roared ashore and inundated most of the city, many New Orleans residents still distrust the Corps, which built the levees and floodwalls that failed near Lake Pontchartrain and along the Lower 9th Ward.

While the levees protecting the city from the Mississippi River held during the August 2005 storm, the flooding was exacerbated by the size and configuration of a shipping channel that the Corps dredged decades ago between New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico.

Offline Applewood

I don't remember -- did President Bush send resources before Katrina hit?  I know he did afterwards. 

And what I said about people in that region not knowing how to evacuate -- I also meant the local politicians.  All they knew how to do was blame President Bush.  Yes, I do hope the current mayor and governor get up off their duffs and do their part.

Offline EdJames

Latest Satellite....

Offline musiclady

I don't remember -- did President Bush send resources before Katrina hit?  I know he did afterwards. 

And what I said about people in that region not knowing how to evacuate -- I also meant the local politicians.  All they knew how to do was blame President Bush.  Yes, I do hope the current mayor and governor get up off their duffs and do their part.

Yes, he did.  Before.

But it didn't matter one whit to the lying left.

Or Shepherd Smith for that matter.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yes, he did.  Before.

He's a charter member of the lying left and always has been.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

Yes, he did.  Before.

Thank you. 

And I  believe Shep is a leftie.

Offline Applewood

Geez!  I just watched a clip from ABC News.  One NO woman just said she would rather be stuck  in her home than in some hotel. 

I suppose if, God forbid, she perishes in this storm, everyone will blame Trump.

As we say here often, you just can't fix stupid. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:35:35 pm by Applewood »

Offline musiclady

He's a charter member of the lying left and always has been.

I know.  I know.....

He just spouted his lies on Fox News, which was SUPPOSED to be fair about it.

His crying and lying almost made me stop watching them.

It took years before I actually followed through on that, and I am SO glad I did.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

Thank you. 

And I  believe Shep is a leftie.

Indeed he is.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I know.  I know.....

He just spouted his lies on Fox News, which was SUPPOSED to be fair about it.

His crying and lying almost made me stop watching them.

It took years before I actually followed through on that, and I am SO glad I did.

Katrina was the last time I ever allowed Smith on my TV.  There he was in a fresh, starched shirt, standing amongst a group of sad-looking people, crying over how they couldn't get out and get to a good place.  How the hell did he?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Katrina was the last time I ever allowed Smith on my TV.  There he was in a fresh, starched shirt, standing amongst a group of sad-looking people, crying over how they couldn't get out and get to a good place.  How the hell did he?

Same here!  When Shep comes on the channel changes.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

Yes!!!

And why didn't he bring them food and water, and stop all the rapes and murders he said were going on??

I never watched him again after that either.