Author Topic: Commentary: Seniors Get Stiffed on $5B Tax Relief  (Read 674 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Commentary: Seniors Get Stiffed on $5B Tax Relief
« on: July 12, 2019, 01:16:29 pm »
Texas Scorecard 7/11/2019 By Dennis Tibbs

Many seniors and disabled with tax freezes simply will not see a dime of the so-called tax relief.

For decades, seniors and disabled taxpayers have been allowed to have their property taxes “frozen” at the dollar amount paid as of their 65th birthday or their disability. After paying taxes for 50 years or so, many look forward to a slight tax break once their earning years are behind them.

Recently, however, we’ve begun to see a trend potentially leading to the elimination of the freeze. For instance, here in Montgomery County, our commissioners court reluctantly passed a 20 percent homestead exemption in 2016. It was hailed as “Huge!” Many, including several on the commissioners court, benefited with large tax reductions of $500 to $600. Closer inspection, though, revealed that most senior citizens received zero! This oversight happened, simply stated, because of the lack of coordination between the freeze and the homestead exemption. The blame for this loss by seniors can be shared equally between the Texas Legislature and the MoCo Commissioners Court.

Fast forward to the 86th Legislature. Our legislators did work hard to pass some sort of tax (relief) legislation, namely House Bill 3. The big questions are: Is the relief significant, is it fair, and is it consistent?

The relief/reform is part tax rate reduction and part restriction of tax revenue growth. There is concern as to whether that $5 billion will actually go to rate reduction or be viewed as compensation to offset restrictions on revenue growth. Time will tell.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/commentary/commentary-seniors-get-stiffed-on-5b-tax-relief/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Commentary: Seniors Get Stiffed on $5B Tax Relief
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:27 pm »
Smoke and mirrors is the name of the game when the Texas legislature meets!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:49:15 pm »
Sorry but i equate this to complaining about income tax breaks that do not benefit those that pay no income tax.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 01:50:15 pm »
Sorry but i equate this to complaining about income tax breaks that do not benefit those that pay no income tax.

Really?  Mind explaining that reasoning?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 06:01:29 pm »
Must be a pal of Dan.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick actually campaigned on the senior/disabled freeze. Yet the attitude from his office is, in essence, “Seniors can take a hike.”

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:15:17 pm »
Really?  Mind explaining that reasoning?

Because they were already given tax relief that others did not.  Now that the others get some but not all of this tax break they complain "where is ours?"

They already received their tax break.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 06:24:47 pm »
Because they were already given tax relief that others did not.  Now that the others get some but not all of this tax break they complain "where is ours?"

They already received their tax break.
I agree.  Seniors already have a substantial  advantage compared to most.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington