Author Topic: Everyone’s new soccer hero Megan Rapinoe is actually kind of awful  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Everyone’s new soccer hero Megan Rapinoe is actually kind of awful
Washington Examiner, Jul 8, 2018, Brad Polumbo

[...]

There’s just one problem: She’s actually kind of an awful person. Rapinoe has soccer skills for sure, but her entitled, flippant, and unpatriotic attitude is the epitome of first-world privilege.

Let’s start with the facts: She’s a celebrity, a lesbian icon, and a millionaire. But according to Rapinoe, she’s an oppressed victim of sexism, apparently. She has been at the forefront of the fake outrage and demands for "equal pay" compared to the men’s soccer team. She has even encouraged the public shaming of FIFA President Gianni Infantino and filed a lawsuit against U.S. Soccer.

Rapinoe is too drunk on political correctness and her own celebrity to acknowledge the inconvenient reality that viewership for the men’s World Cup, win or lose, vastly outweighs that of the women’s tournament. For reference, it’s estimated that 1 billion people will have watched the 2019 Women’s World Cup, but the 2018 men's World Cup reached 3.6 billion.

[...]

Beyond the embarrassing exercise in self-victimhood, Rapinoe’s personality is marred by her lack of appreciation for the country that has given her the chance to rise so far and achieve so much. She has turned the women’s historic World Cup win into a political pissing match, when it could have been a bipartisan moment of unity for the country. When asked, Rapinoe said, “I’m not going to the f---ing White House.” Plus, she has repeatedly knelt for the national anthem and said, “I’ll probably never put my hand over my heart. I’ll probably never sing the national anthem again.”

After her World Cup victory, Rapinoe and a teammate dropped the American flag on the ground to pose for a photo opp.

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/everyones-new-soccer-hero-megan-rapinoe-is-actually-kind-of-awful?utm_source=In%20Our%20Opinion_07/09/2019&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEX_In%20Our%20Opinion&rid=91659

Offline mrclose

AWFUL would be an understatement ...  :silly:

Partners Sue Bird, Megan Rapinoe Strip Down for ESPN Mag's Body Issue

https://www.advocate.com/sports/2018/6/27/partners-sue-bird-megan-rapinoe-strip-down-espn-body
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Bill Cipher

Comparing the men’s and women’s team on pay is not simple.  For example, the women have guaranteed minimum salaries; the men do not. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
everyone’s new soccer hero Megan Rapinoe

Not my hero in any shape form or fashion.  She is pitiful.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rustynail

She looks like a Mike Judge drawing.

Offline LadyLiberty

That's it!  Dale Dribble with purple hair!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In another thread, I noted her resemblance to Dr. Strangelove.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

Someone even Beavis and Butthead would turn down.

Offline GrouchoTex

This team lost to FC Dallas 14 and under squad, so those boys should get a nice check for that.

Offline GrouchoTex

I was thinking Peter O'Toole

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I will do exactly opposite of what she suggested.  It is viewership that will put more money in their pockets, and she has guaranteed millions of Americans will tune out to women's soccer.  No loss really, for soccer is extremely boring.  And if she thinks the world wants to watch a bunch of dykes from the USA, she is mistaken.

Offline Night Hides Not

Comparing the men’s and women’s team on pay is not simple.  For example, the women have guaranteed minimum salaries; the men do not.

Notice how NBA players have been silent on "equal pay"? The disparity between NBA and WNBA pay can't even get a syllable on ESPN, the ultimate "woke" network.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline goatprairie

Notice how NBA players have been silent on "equal pay"? The disparity between NBA and WNBA pay can't even get a syllable on ESPN, the ultimate "woke" network.
The sad truth is just about nobody wants to watch tattooed women in potato sacks play basketball. If it wasn't supported by the NBA, the WNBA would be dead now. It probably would never have gotten off the ground.
I'm not against women playing professional sports, but I get highly agitated when people expect males to watch unattractive women play. Sorry, can't do.
If liberals want more people to watch dykes play sports, tell women to watch them instead of the house and garden, cooking,  game shows, and other crap they love to watch rather than members of their own sex.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Look, I understand that the rest of the world loves them some soccer....

At best, I can tolerate the game...  two grandsons play it and of course we attend the games and cheer them on...

If they are visiting and are watching soccer on TV I will set with them a bit and pretend to be interested....

If a US national team in virtually any sport proceeds toward world championships I will heartily cheer them on, because sports.... and because 'Merica....   :patriot:

But all it take is one of these cretins to open up her/his yap and start trashing this country and I am done....

Had their been no Rappin' Ho and a couple of the other ones, I probably would have watched these games and cheered them on....

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:58:08 pm by EdJames »

Offline aligncare

AWFUL would be an understatement ...  :silly:

Partners Sue Bird, Megan Rapinoe Strip Down for ESPN Mag's Body Issue

https://www.advocate.com/sports/2018/6/27/partners-sue-bird-megan-rapinoe-strip-down-espn-body

I’m sorry, but that’s a boy. A rather piggish boy, to be exact.

Offline goatprairie

Look, I understand that the rest of the world loves them some soccer....

At best, I can tolerate the game...  two grandsons play it and of course we attend the games and cheer them on...

If they are visiting and are watching soccer on TV I will set with them a bit and pretend to be interested....

If a US national team in virtually any sport proceeds toward world championships I will heartily cheer them on, because sports.... and because 'Merica....   :patriot:

But all it take is one of these cretins to open up her/his yap and start trashing this country and I am done....

Had their been no Rappin' Ho and a couple of the other ones, I probably would have watched these games and cheered them on....

I'm with you amigo. I have a Brit bro-in-law who loves soccer...oh, excuse me football. One time when visiting England he had a big European match on the telly. He was totally engrossed of course, while I tried to stifle my boredom.
Typical low-scoring soccer match with a shot taken (and missed) every other month.
I just don't get it. Kick the ball, lose the ball, get the ball back, kick the ball, lose the ball, get the ball back, nine hours later get off a shot that misses by ten feet. Repeat ad nauseum.
Oh, well. All sports are boring depending on the audience.
Shorten the field, take three players away per side, eliminate some of the stupid off side rules, get more shots on goal, and maybe I might watch.

Offline Hoodat

Liberals are just plain mean-spirited.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I'm with you amigo. I have a Brit bro-in-law who loves soccer...oh, excuse me football. One time when visiting England he had a big European match on the telly. He was totally engrossed of course, while I tried to stifle my boredom.
Typical low-scoring soccer match with a shot taken (and missed) every other month.
I just don't get it. Kick the ball, lose the ball, get the ball back, kick the ball, lose the ball, get the ball back, nine hours later get off a shot that misses by ten feet. Repeat ad nauseum.
Shorten the field, take three players away per side, eliminate some of the stupid off side rules, get more shots on goal, and maybe I might watch.

It is a tough game to enjoy.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It is a tough game to enjoy.

A few years ago the US was in the World Cup, I enjoyed watching it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

BULLETIN!!   ALL soccer is 'Women's' Soccer    :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

...Rapinoe is too drunk on political correctness and her own celebrity  ...
She and her teammates were embarrassingly drunk on alcohol at their parade, too, as evidenced by their loutish behavior.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

I totally get what you’re saying. I’m not a soccer fan myself. But, I think the experience of watching soccer is not unlike seeing dancers performing. The physical skills and command of their bodies can mesmerize us in its grace and beauty. You’re right, though. Sports require action and triumph. And a clear victory with some damn points on the scoreboard.

Offline goatprairie

I totally get what you’re saying. I’m not a soccer fan myself. But, I think the experience of watching soccer is not unlike seeing dancers performing. The physical skills and command of their bodies can mesmerize us in its grace and beauty. You’re right, though. Sports require action and triumph. And a clear victory with some damn points on the scoreboard.
I remember starting to watch sports growing up. I immediately liked watching American football. It didn't hurt that it was at the start of the Vince Lombardi era when the Packers were starting their sixties dynasty.
Ditto basketball.
I have nothing against the game of soccer per se. I just don't like the rules.
There has to be some equal compensation for effort involved. I understand that the players at the pro level are highly skilled. So what? There's just too little reward for the effort involved.
I also understand, that like many Americans, I'm in the tiny minority of people who just don't get it.
That's another baffling situation. Why do so many people love a sport that has so little scoring?
Some people complain about ice hockey being low scoring, but there's far more shots on goal in ice hockey than there are in soccer. I never played hockey, but I watch the Stanley Cup playoffs every year. Far more entertaining than soccer.

Online mountaineer

More from "our" lovely team, this time from one of the few hetero players:
U.S. soccer star loses ‘key to NYC’ when hotel room robbed days after braggadocios behavior
July 12, 2019 | Vivek Saxena

Roughly a day after the U.S. women’s soccer team paraded through New York City while spewing obscenities and behaving like obnoxious, egocentric brats, one team member suffered what some have described as a “karmic” burglary and lost some cash, her wedding ring and the keys to NYC.

“After the @ESPYS show someone stole my wedding ring, cash and the key to my favorite city after just receiving it from my hotel room. Do you make copies @NYCMayor ? I would love a new one,” flag-tossing player Allie Long tweeted at 10:15 pm EST Thursday evening.

According to TMZ. the burglary occurred at a hotel room she’d rented in Los Angeles prior to this year’s Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Award show Thursday evening in downtown LA.

“Law enforcement sources tell us Long … had her Ritz-Carlton hotel room burglarized Thursday afternoon,” the gossip website confirmed. “We’re told Allie’s wedding ring — worth about $15k — along with the key to NYC awarded to her yesterday for winning the World Cup were taken in the theft. Sources tell us there were no signs of forced entry … and police believe the door may have been left ajar.”

Long appears to be taking the burglary in stride. In an Instagram photo that showed her standing by her apparent boyfriend, she wrote, “Take my ring but not my man (or medal Thank God).”  ...

[F]ollowing the U.S. women’s soccer team’s World Cup victory last Sunday, Long disrespectfully dropped the American flag to the ground and then almost stepped on it. Why? So she could participate in a photo-op with fellow player and noted anti-American Megan Rapinoe.   ...
Source

Yeah, that's a shame.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
More from "our" lovely team, this time from one of the few hetero players:Source

Yeah, that's a shame.

Yep it's a damn shame.   I'm all broken up over her misfortune.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.