Author Topic: Here's the SUV that Volkswagen will build instead of the Beetle  (Read 1062 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here's the SUV that Volkswagen will build instead of the Beetle
By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

With Volkswagen Beetle production wrapping up in Mexico, the automaker has confirmed the model that will fill its slot at the factory and in U.S. showrooms.

It’s a small SUV sold today in China as the Tharu. About the size of a Nissan Rogue Sport, it will be positioned in the VW lineup under the Tiguan.

It’s built on the same modular platform that just about every VW uses these days, including the Tiguan and Atlas, and will be reengineered to meet the safety standards and refinement expectations of U.S. customers. Specifications have not been revealed, but it is currently offered with a range of four-cylinder gasoline engines.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/heres-the-suv-that-volkswagen-will-build-instead-of-the-beetle
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

Re: Here's the SUV that Volkswagen will build instead of the Beetle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:02 pm »
Looks like all the rest.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 01:55:43 pm »
Looks like all the rest.
Indeed. The genericizing of the automobile marches on.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 02:04:07 pm »
Looks like all the rest.

I'm with you.   The design language for SUVs seems to fall into two categories - boring like Volkswagen or the current Japanese thing for bizarre, video game-inspired frippery.   From a style perspective,  I haven't seen one in recent years that has moved me.    I'll need to look for a 2-door Jeep Cherokee from the old days or maybe a Toyota 4Runner from before they changed to the current grille.    Or just stick with my '09 Caddy SRX,  which is really more of a station wagon.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:09:20 pm »
Meh.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:12:00 pm »
I'm with you.   The design language for SUVs seems to fall into two categories - boring like Volkswagen or the current Japanese thing for bizarre, video game-inspired frippery.   From a style perspective,  I haven't seen one in recent years that has moved me.    I'll need to look for a 2-door Jeep Cherokee from the old days or maybe a Toyota 4Runner from before they changed to the current grille.    Or just stick with my '09 Caddy SRX,  which is really more of a station wagon.   

Bring back the Excursion

When they first came out, I thought they should only be offered in Yellow with a broad black stripe running the length of vehicle.  Never realized then I would come to wish I could buy a new one.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:26:56 pm »
Bring back the Excursion

When they first came out, I thought they should only be offered in Yellow with a broad black stripe running the length of vehicle.  Never realized then I would come to wish I could buy a new one.

@thackney
My brother has a diesel Excursion, and is moanin the same blues.
He is waffling between a Suburban and spending megabucks to restore that excursion to factory new.

And he is thinking about it pretty hard.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 04:18:27 pm »
@thackney
My brother has a diesel Excursion, and is moanin the same blues.
He is waffling between a Suburban and spending megabucks to restore that excursion to factory new.

And he is thinking about it pretty hard.

A few years ago we debated and went with the Expedition EL, 2015 model.  That twin-turbo 3.5L is rock solid and has more torque than my 6.2L in my F250.  9,000 lbs towing capacity if I remember correctly.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 04:31:28 pm »
A few years ago we debated and went with the Expedition EL, 2015 model.  That twin-turbo 3.5L is rock solid and has more torque than my 6.2L in my F250.  9,000 lbs towing capacity if I remember correctly.

@thackney
I will let him know.
The thing is, he is a memeber of a fairly well known acapella gospel band. Every now and then their bus goes down, and that Excursion gets hooked to the trailer, and seven(?) guys pile in to head for parts unknown, which is usually better than a few days of driving. His major complaint is the reduction in ft3 he would have to suffer, even if it will pull the trailer.

Expedition vs Suburban is about the same problem in that regard. And to hear him talk about it, with that many dudes in close confinement for that long, every doggone inch is precious.

That is mainly why he is loathe to give up that Excursion.

I told him to stop the nonsense and get a full size van, but that ain't cool enough for everyday driving.
go figger  :shrug: