Author Topic: Flooding swamps New Orleans; possible hurricane coming next  (Read 1444 times)

Offline berdie

Re: Flooding swamps New Orleans; possible hurricane coming next
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 08:27:22 pm »
Quick...somebody call Shep and maybe Geraldo and get them on a plane to Naw Awlens.

The public deserves the truth!!! /s

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 08:31:59 pm »
Perhaps Brian Williams needs a do-over.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
True, but they don't always have the timing of a hurricane matching the river swollen from massive flooding upstream.
Geography of being near the Gulf and its weather systems, along with one of earth's mightiest rivers running through the city, as well as the city's foundation upon a deltaic deposit subsiding over time guarantees this will happen again and again, no matter how big the levees are built or more massive pumps used to take care of rainwater.

It is a fact it will happen and the only newsworthy item is not if it happens, but how often it will happen.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 08:03:43 pm »
If you live in a city some parts of which are eight feet below sea level floods are likely when it rains!

This was Orleans St on Wednesday. Just a light summer shower.

Online corbe

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 08:16:17 pm »
   Houston is in the same predicament, depleting the water table and sinking rapidly.  The taxpayers will continue to be on the hook for Nawlins, a fools errand, IMHO due to corrupt politics and demographics. 
   I think Texas is moving forward to try and save Houston, particularly after Harvey.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 08:19:16 pm »
This was Orleans St on Wednesday. Just a light summer shower.

And the part of the city where that was taken is the high dry part if I'm not sadly mistaken.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 08:28:19 pm »
And the part of the city where that was taken is the high dry part if I'm not sadly mistaken.

Orleans and Bourbon Sts. And they had it totally pumped out in an hour.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 08:32:41 pm »
Orleans and Bourbon Sts. And they had it totally pumped out in an hour.

Yeah.  They take real good care of that cash cow.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 08:53:38 pm »
After Katrina I have a friend that  said they need to move New Orleans.  That's a nice thought...but where would it be moved to? (and please don't say Texas)

New Orleans is perfectly OK right where it is  -  Away from the rest of Louisiana.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 09:20:43 pm »
   Houston is in the same predicament, depleting the water table and sinking rapidly.  The taxpayers will continue to be on the hook for Nawlins, a fools errand, IMHO due to corrupt politics and demographics. 
   I think Texas is moving forward to try and save Houston, particularly after Harvey.
Both have close proximity to the coast, but that is where the similarity ends.

Houston is not built like New Orleans on a delta system which is composed of sediments that highly subside over time.  The mud which discharges from the river that used to build up the delta is now carried via levees into the Gulf which actually benefits Texas with sediments on its western side. 

Houston also does not have a large river system running through its center which has to be contained during high river stages.

And Houston is not below sea level like a lot of New Orleans, which means water has to be pumped out.

Houston does of course have the burden of more groundwater removal which causes some subsidence.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2019, 09:27:54 pm »
   I knew I could count on you @IsailedawayfromFR to straighten out my convoluted thinking, Thank You.

*No sarcasm intended or implied.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2019, 09:48:12 pm »
   I knew I could count on you @IsailedawayfromFR to straighten out my convoluted thinking, Thank You.

*No sarcasm intended or implied.
Have lived in both places and seen a bit of the flooding.  Doesn't hurt to have rubbed shoulders with a number of competent geologists, too.

Likely the biggest issue isn't geology.  Katrina exposed New Orleans' corrupt levee boards as incompetent and not up to the task of what they were selected to do.

Online corbe

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2019, 09:54:45 pm »
Have lived in both places and seen a bit of the flooding.  Doesn't hurt to have rubbed shoulders with a number of competent geologists, too.

Likely the biggest issue isn't geology.  Katrina exposed New Orleans' corrupt levee boards as incompetent and not up to the task of what they were selected to do.

I too, have lived in both places @IsailedawayfromFR and I should get Brownie points for keeping a bunch of Texaco Geologist's PCs and plotters alive on Poydras St. and eating at Mothers or Cresent City Café every other day. 

My only regret is I stayed too drunk to remember most of it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:56:03 pm by corbe »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2019, 09:56:26 pm »

Man is that ever the truth!  And unfortunately,  very little has changed with that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2019, 10:01:23 pm »

I too, have lived in both places @IsailedawayfromFR and I should get Brownie points for keeping a bunch of Texaco Geologist's PCs and plotters alive on Poydras St. and eating at Mothers or Cresent City Café every other day. 

My only regret is I stayed too drunk to remember most of it.
But Bon Ton had the best Turtle Soup in the city and was owned by the family of a Texaco admin we both worked with as well.

And that building I hear now has been converted to a place serving alcohol so one doesn't have to even step outside now. @corbe
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:05:35 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 03:17:08 am »

And that is the sad truth.

After Katrina I have a friend that  said they need to move New Orleans.  That's a nice thought...but where would it be moved to? (and please don't say Texas)

I'd ask just exactly who is "they".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 04:12:54 am »
A least we know this time, Kanye won't be saying, "Donald Trump doesn't care about black people."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 06:42:12 am »
Quick...somebody call Shep and maybe Geraldo and get them on a plane to Naw Awlens.

The public deserves the truth!!! /s

What's really been strange is that I have not seen the super  breathless coverage of this storm like Katrina and so many others.  I guess when Barry was downgraded to a tropical storm almost immediately after landfall and there was no loss of life that could be blamed on Trump, the talking heads in the media lost interest.  I mean, what's a "little flooding?"  Hardly newsworthy.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 03:21:03 pm »

And that is the sad truth.

It would probably involve dispersal in that they won't move everyone in the city to the same place. Most would probably move to other parts and cities of Louisiana that aren't, well, below sea level, a scenario that would best preserve the culture and community. (Not that culture and community matter much in this society anymore.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 05:15:36 pm »
A pretty good article on how New Orleans ended up below sea level.

How Humans Sank New Orleans
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/how-humans-sank-new-orleans/552323/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Hoodat

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2019, 05:17:51 pm »
Gulf oil is back on.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2019, 06:24:47 pm »
   Great Article @thackney  Thanks for Sharing.

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2019, 03:01:28 pm »
A pretty good article on how New Orleans ended up below sea level.

How Humans Sank New Orleans
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/how-humans-sank-new-orleans/552323/
New Orleans has the distinction of being a PLO

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1