Author Topic: Make America's deficits great again  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Make America's deficits great again
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:40:26 am »
By Desmond Lachman, Opinion Contributor — 07/09/19 03:00 PM EDT

Two and a half years into his term, President Trump has little to show for breaking with erstwhile Republican Party orthodoxy on trade and budget policy.

Indeed, far from delivering on his promise to cut America’s trade deficit, Trump has presided over a ballooning deficit that’s on pace to be some 25 percent higher than when he took office. This is happening at a time when the budget deficit is widening and the country’s public debt is well on its way to exceeding 90 percent of GDP.

Sadly, the Trump administration seems unfazed by the country’s deteriorating long-run financial position. It shows no indication of correcting policy course to put the economy on a sounder long-run economic footing. This makes it all too likely that the country’s incipient twin deficit problem will only worsen in the remaining 18 months of Trump’s first term. That in turn will further mortgage the country’s economic future and diminish the U.S. dollar’s attractiveness as an international reserve currency.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/452045-make-americas-deficits-great-again
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Absalom

Re: Make America's deficits great again
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:15:10 am »
By Desmond Lachman, Opinion Contributor — 07/09/19 03:00 PM EDT
Two and a half years into his term, President Trump has little to show for breaking with erstwhile Republican Party orthodoxy on trade and budget policy.
Indeed, far from delivering on his promise to cut America’s trade deficit, Trump has presided over a ballooning deficit that’s on pace to be some 25 percent higher than when he took office. This is happening at a time when the budget deficit is widening and the country’s public debt is well on its way to exceeding 90 percent of GDP.
Sadly, the Trump administration seems unfazed by the country’s deteriorating long-run financial position. It shows no indication of correcting policy course to put the economy on a sounder long-run economic footing. This makes it all too likely that the country’s incipient twin deficit problem will only worsen in the remaining 18 months of Trump’s first term. That in turn will further mortgage the country’s economic future and diminish the U.S. dollar’s attractiveness as an international reserve currency.
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/452045-make-americas-deficits-great-again
----------------------------
On the mark.
The abysmal ignorance of many regarding the R party is astonishing as these
insist the R's are upholders of conservative principle, a hysterical assertion.
From day 1, the R's have been the Party:
* of centralized and expansive Government in contrast to States Rights,
* of duties, excises and tariffs rather than free trade, 
* of corporate and personal taxation.
Trumpet is just another in their endless queue of economic illiterates who
will spend every nickel and dime he gets his hands on.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:16:31 am by Absalom »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:05:22 am »
----------------------------
On the mark.
The abysmal ignorance of many regarding the R party is astonishing as these
insist the R's are upholders of conservative principle, a hysterical assertion.
From day 1, the R's have been the Party:
* of centralized and expansive Government in contrast to States Rights,
* of duties, excises and tariffs rather than free trade, 
* of corporate and personal taxation.
Trumpet is just another in their endless queue of economic illiterates who
will spend every nickel and dime he gets his hands on.

Exactly right.
25% more than Obama, who spent twice as much as Bush, who spent more than all the other administrations put together.

There is no denying that this is most certainly not a Conservative administration.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:31 am »

I'll just leave this right here.....    wink777
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:05:09 pm »
I'll just leave this right here.....    wink777

Why?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 12:18:47 pm »
Why?

Because 'Scientist' or no scientist, you need to look up the word 'Pragmatism'.

That is, if you haven't unplugged your internet too!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 12:21:54 pm »
Because 'Scientist' or no scientist, you need to look up the word 'Pragmatism'.

That is, if you haven't unplugged your internet too!    :laugh:

So a kind of 'Mussolini made the trains run on time' sort of thing?

No thanks.
Not ever.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 12:23:10 pm »
A show of hands of those who didn't think Trump would spend this countries  coffers like a drunken sailor?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 12:27:22 pm »
A show of hands of those who didn't think Trump would spend this countries  coffers like a drunken sailor?

Always proof-read before you hit-n-run.   It's 'country's' my friend.   happy77

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:29:00 pm »

Always proof-read before you hit-n-run.   It's 'country's' my friend.   happy77

ack...slapped by the spelling and grammatical police at 7:30 a.m.  Don't I at least get one coffee?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 12:36:11 pm »

Truth is, neither party gives a rat's backside about the debt and deficit.  And I include Trump and every president before him.  Oh, they might put on their frowny faces before prospective voters and promise to reign in the spending, but they never do.  What do they care?  They will continue to spend and spend; then when they leave office with a fat pension and benefits, they will also leave the problem for the next guy or gal to fix.  Of course, their successors won't fix the problem either.  And on and on it goes till this country finally becomes insolvent. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 04:41:30 pm »
An economist will tell you that it takes little time to grow a deficit, it takes much longer to arrest it.

Actions Trump has taken to arrest it will not be immediately seen include higher workforce, lower unemployment, lower food stamps, increased manufacturing which increases in tax base.  Also requiring allies to take up more in military spending.

There are regrets as well on items he could have done of course.
Do not look for quick results.  This is the long game.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 04:57:20 pm »
An economist will tell you that it takes little time to grow a deficit, it takes much longer to arrest it.

Actions Trump has taken to arrest it will not be immediately seen include higher workforce, lower unemployment, lower food stamps, increased manufacturing which increases in tax base.  Also requiring allies to take up more in military spending.

A REALLY long game if he's spending even more than Obummer.
And not a game we're going to win.

What's a few TRILLION more, eh?
There is *no* defense.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 05:04:29 pm »

What actions has Trump taken?  Like @roamer_1 all I can see is more spending.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »

Strategery.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 05:22:02 pm »
If the recent good economic trends bring more money into the Treasury, which it should, it would be nice to see and equal focus on cutting down the debt.
I haven't even heard this mentioned by any politician in a long time.
Now that things are going well is the time to make this move.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 05:31:08 pm »
Is anyone here familiar with who appropriates money in the fedgov?  Hint: Not the President!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 05:32:53 pm »
Is anyone here familiar with who appropriates money in the fedgov?  Hint: Not the President!

It's his pen that signs it @Bigun .

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 05:36:52 pm »
It's his pen that signs it @Bigun .

Yes, but he has no power to appropriate.  Only to accept or reject what the CONGRESS has done.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 05:40:58 pm »
Yes, but he has no power to appropriate.  Only to accept or reject what the CONGRESS has done.

Never mind... A few trillion more, and he'll institute draconian spending cuts... Save 250B and take his victory lap.

And all the people say WOOHOO!
more friggin winning.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 05:51:04 pm »
Never mind... A few trillion more, and he'll institute draconian spending cuts... Save 250B and take his victory lap.

And all the people say WOOHOO!
more friggin winning.  *****rollingeyes*****

Put the blame where it belongs!  This is NOT the president's fault despite everyone (seemingly) trying to make it so.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 05:53:22 pm »
Put the blame where it belongs!  This is NOT the president's fault despite everyone (seemingly) trying to make it so.

Like it or not the buck stops right there at the top.

Like it always does.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 06:51:01 pm »

And as far as I know, he has yet to veto these spending spree bills congress sends him.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 06:55:01 pm »
And as far as I know, he has yet to veto these spending spree bills congress sends him.

And what if he had?  Do you expect that THIS congress would have sent him something better?  If so, I have some Arizona swampland you should see.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 07:19:41 pm »
if all u see is more spending, then nothing I could ever say can help you.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington