Author Topic: Williams College rejects free-speech principles to protect ‘dignitary safety’ of students  (Read 648 times)

Online mountaineer

Williams College rejects free-speech principles to protect ‘dignitary safety’ of students
July 9, 2019
Ethan Berman - University of Texas-Austin
No way that new policy will ‘quell the discontent of Williams’s woke students’

More than 60 universities and colleges throughout the U.S. have adopted the so-called Chicago Principles, aimed at preserving free speech and expression on campus.

For a few months last year, it looked like Williams College would join their ranks. No more. ...

The report distinguishes between two forms of “potentially harmful” speech that are legally protected: speech that threatens “intellectual safety” versus “dignitary safety.”

The first form is incompatible with “the very heart of a college’s educational mission.” But Williams has a “duty to maintain” the second form, defined as “the sense of being an equal member of the community and of being invited to contribute to a discussion as a valued participant.”

Hate speech is a threat to dignitary safety, and thus is worthy of institutional response, including “counter-messaging, condemnations, direct support to targeted individuals and groups, dialogue, and education.”  ...
Full story at the College Fix
 *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Interesting use of the word "dignitary."   Actual definition (Merriam-Webster):
dignitary noun
dig·​ni·​tary | \ ˈdig-nə-ˌter-ē
, -ˌte-rē\
plural dignitaries
Definition of dignitary

: one who possesses exalted rank or holds a position of dignity or honor
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org