Author Topic: What It Will Take for the Wind and Solar Industries to Collapse  (Read 1560 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

"Wind and solar are not competitive and never will be. "

The solar electricity industry is dependent on federal government subsidies for building new capacity.  The subsidy consists of a 30% tax credit and the use of a tax scheme called tax equity finance.  These subsidies are delivered during the first five years.

For wind, there is subsidy during the first five to ten years resulting from tax equity finance.  There is also a production subsidy that lasts for the first ten years.

The other subsidy for wind and solar, not often characterized as a subsidy, is state renewable portfolio laws, or quotas, that require that an increasing portion of a state's electricity come from renewable sources.  Those state mandates result in wind and solar electricity being sold via profitable 25-year power purchase contracts.  The buyer is generally a utility with good credit.  The utilities are forced to offer these terms in order to cause sufficient supply to emerge to satisfy the renewable energy quotas.

The rate of return from a wind or solar investment can be low and credit terms favorable because the investors see the 25-year contract by a creditworthy utility as a guarantee of a low risk of default.  If the risk were to be perceived as higher, then a higher rate of return and a higher interest rate on loans would be demanded.  That in turn would increase the price of the electricity generated.

The bankruptcy of PG&E, the largest California utility, has created some cracks in the façade.  A bankruptcy judge has ruled that cancelation of up to $40 billion in long-term energy contracts is a possibility.  These contracts are not essential or needed to preserve the supply of electricity because they are mostly for wind or solar electricity supply that varies with the weather and can't be counted on.  As a consequence, there has to exist and does exist the necessary infrastructure to supply the electricity needs without the wind or solar energy.
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/07/what_it_will_take_for_the_wind_and_solar_industries_to_collapse.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline rustynail

Re: What It Will Take for the Wind and Solar Industries to Collapse
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:58:57 pm »
To make renewables work the people have to accept that access to
 24/7/365 electricity is not a right is unsustainable and driving catastrophic climate change.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 02:19:14 pm »
 24/7/365 electricity is not a right is unsustainable and driving catastrophic climate change.

No, the people just have to accept high costs.  Energy Storage systems work, but they have high costs.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 02:47:34 pm »
What It Will Take for the Wind and Solar Industries to Collapse

Easy! Stop subsidizing them!

Make them compete fairly in the marketplace and they will disappear real quick-like.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:02:09 pm »
Renewables alone will never, ever work as all renewables require significant non-renewable energy to produce the renewables, whether it is tractors in the field growing biofuels to a factory in China making wind turbine blades or solar panels.

They CANNOT replace non-renewables, EVER.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 04:04:46 pm »
Renewables alone will never, ever work as all renewables require significant non-renewable energy to produce the renewables, whether it is tractors in the field growing biofuels to a factory in China making wind turbine blades or solar panels.

And THAT is a FACT Jack!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 05:07:29 pm »

I will disagree that it cannot, but agree that it will not in our great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime.

The energy is there but the economics are sooooo very far away.

A total of 173,000 terawatts (trillions of watts) of solar energy strikes the Earth continuously. That’s more than 10,000 times the world’s total energy use.

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-vast-amounts-solar-energy-earth.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 05:38:39 pm »
Remove the exception Obastard granted the wind farms that allows them to indiscriminately kill endangered birds.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 05:46:38 pm »

My first guess would by for the wind to stop blowing and the sun to stop shining....

:cool:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 05:59:09 pm »
A viable alternative is available, with (Gen III-IV)  nuclear power. Safe Clean

Plus battery technology. Ocean temperature gradients, tidal energy. More efficient capture/use of direct sunlight.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline rustynail

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 06:27:58 pm »
Remove the exception Obastard granted the wind farms that allows them to indiscriminately kill endangered birds.
Excellent.  It is so wrong the killing does not get more attention.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 06:39:37 pm »

My first guess would by for the wind to stop blowing and the sun to stop shining....

:cool:

Or more of this:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 08:04:32 pm »
Easy! Stop subsidizing them!

Make them compete fairly in the marketplace and they will disappear real quick-like.

Exactly.  The free market, standing on its own, would never build the massive wind farms.  A couple test turbines, maybe.  But not the miles-long installations we see today. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 01:00:00 am »
I will disagree that it cannot, but agree that it will not in our great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime.

A total of 173,000 terawatts (trillions of watts) of solar energy strikes the Earth continuously. That’s more than 10,000 times the world’s total energy use.

In all due respect, all you are saying is the single best reason to stop the insanity of renewables.  It makes no economic sense, now and virtually forever.

As far as energy, there is more packed into tiny atoms that can be split than whatever hits the earth from the sun.

Go after that with technology already proven and economically viable rather than worrying on how solar can be improved.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »
In all due respect, all you are saying is the single best reason to stop the insanity of renewables.  It makes no economic sense, now and virtually forever.

As far as energy, there is more packed into tiny atoms that can be split than whatever hits the earth from the sun.

Go after that with technology already proven and economically viable rather than worrying on how solar can be improved.
Another nail in that coffin

Carbon-Free Power: Solar versus Nuclear
The lesson is clear.  Sunlight is free, but solar-generated electricity is very, very expensive.
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/07/carbonfree_power_solar_versus_nuclear.html

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 12:48:33 pm »

One more time.  'Renewable Energy' is a myth.

Mining companies, child-labor exploiters, toxic dumps and petrotyrants just love 'renewable' energy

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/08/mining_companies_childlabor_exploiters_toxic_dumps_and_petrotyrants_just_love_renewable_energy.html#ixzz5w0smSN9I

Offline rustynail

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 02:10:38 pm »
Great article.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 05:19:59 pm »
No, the people just have to accept high costs.  Energy Storage systems work, but they have high costs.

Energy storage systems is where these sources will stand or fall.  Viewed from the energy supply perspective, organic matter is simply a very efficient long-term means of converting variable solar energy into a steadier form and storing it long-term until it needs to be used.  Conversion of biomatter to coal, gas and petroleum simply makes that process more dependable and efficient.