Author Topic: Mike Pompeo unveils panel to examine 'unalienable rights'  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By CAITLIN OPRYSKO

07/08/2019 10:54 AM EDT

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday unveiled a new Commission on Unalienable Rights, a bipartisan panel he said is aimed at providing him with “an informed review of the role of human rights in American foreign policy.”

While Pompeo was vague in laying out what exactly the panel will do, he praised its members as those he hoped would facilitate "one of the most profound reexaminations of the unalienable rights in the world since the 1948 universal declaration."

International groups were split over the group Monday. In a statement cheering Pompeo's formation of the commission, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said that the panel would be useful in light of governments like Cuba, China and Iran who the group said "have wormed their way onto 'human rights commissions' in their search for international legitimacy."

Amnesty International, meanwhile, accused Pompeo of using the panel to politicize human rights....

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/08/pompeo-panel-unalienable-rights-1400023

I have no idea what to think of this.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Mike Pompeo unveils panel to examine 'unalienable rights'
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:51:19 am »
Well, at the end of this I do hope that human rights trump the snail darters' rights.  Not the case right now.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:37:40 am »

It raises an interesting question that "conservatives" should reflect on carefully.  (I use quotation marks because I have concluded after many years that "conservative" is undefined in the United States, essentially no more than shorthand for a specific set of policy beliefs, and "conservatives" have in fact *conserved* very little.)

Personally I believe, fundamentally, that rights come from God, not from government.  Neither the US federal government, nor the government of any state, county, or municipality in which I have lived, endow me with my rights.  As men we are endowed by *our Creator* with those rights; government either recognizes and respects those rights, or it does not.  Some of us in this country still argue that we will *protect* those rights ourselves if necessary, should the government choose not to respect them, and we reserve to ourselves the right to consent, or not, to the dictates of government, and to adjust *government*, not our rights, accordingly.

But if rights come from God, not from government, what obligations do we have to protect the rights of others, equally endowed by God, and how do we determine the limits of those obligations?  How do we apply the concept of God-endowed rights along the Southern border of the US, where thousands are queuing up and crossing our border illegally?  If rights come from God, not from government, and if American government is truly *of the people*, of *us*, can we argue on any principled basis against an open border?  Similarly, can we argue on any principled basis against intervention in foreign "human rights" issues?

I think we *can* argue against an open border, and against foreign interventions in the name of "human rights", but not on a basis of *principle*.  Personally I cannot find a way to maintain simultaneously that *my* rights come from God and are therefore unalienable, but the rights of others depend on their citizenship.  The only distinction I've been able to draw is not principled, but pragmatic; it is not practically possible in fiscal or cultural terms for the US to open its borders, or to intervene consistently in overseas human rights issues, consequently there can be no obligation to do so.  While the rights of others, born elsewhere and in far less blessed circumstances, are endowed by God just as are our own rights, we cannot take on a general obligation to protect the rights of others.  We *can* regulate entry into the US, enforce clear requirements for citizenship, and choose to forego intervention in human rights crises overseas, because the contrary is not possible practically.

Perhaps many of you will find my distinction between principle and pragmatism to be academic hair-splitting; perhaps you are correct.  I find the retreat to pragmatism to be rather thin gruel myself.  But I hope those of us who mean what we say about rights, God, and the US Constitution can still be troubled to think about them carefully.

@roamer_1
James 1:20

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 01:50:36 am »
But if rights come from God, not from government, what obligations do we have to protect the rights of others, equally endowed by God, and how do we determine the limits of those obligations?  How do we apply the concept of God-endowed rights along the Southern border of the US, where thousands are queuing up and crossing our border illegally? 

Oh goody! MEAT.

On my phone right now, where waxing loquacious is a laborious endeavor...
But I will be back

BKMK

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 02:01:22 am »
Oh goody! MEAT.

On my phone right now, where waxing loquacious is a laborious endeavor...
But I will be back

BKMK

Well whether it's meat done to taste, or too rare or over-done, you'll have to decide.  Take your time, I look forward to your thoughts at your convenience.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 02:05:49 am »
Well whether it's meat done to taste, or too rare or over-done, you'll have to decide.  Take your time, I look forward to your thoughts at your convenience.

I like my steaks rare but my thinking well-done.  Still working on it.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 02:13:36 am »
I like my steaks rare but my thinking well-done.  Still working on it.

I would appreciate your well-done thoughts as well @Sanguine, and those of any other forum member who might find appetizing the raw steaks I've laid out for the grill.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 03:06:39 am »
It raises an interesting question that "conservatives" should reflect on carefully.  (I use quotation marks because I have concluded after many years that "conservative" is undefined in the United States, essentially no more than shorthand for a specific set of policy beliefs, and "conservatives" have in fact *conserved* very little.)

@HoustonSam
Thank you for the ping...

I find that to be less than true... American Conservatism is well defined. Where the problem lies is in the ever present hyphenation that tries to change it to something else. The issue is not what Conservatism is, but rather, that people don't know the answer, and consider themselves to be conservative in ignorance.

But enough about that... Onward to the good part.

But if rights come from God, not from government, what obligations do we have to protect the rights of others, equally endowed by God, and how do we determine the limits of those obligations?  How do we apply the concept of God-endowed rights along the Southern border of the US, where thousands are queuing up and crossing our border illegally?  If rights come from God, not from government, and if American government is truly *of the people*, of *us*, can we argue on any principled basis against an open border?  Similarly, can we argue on any principled basis against intervention in foreign "human rights" issues?

Of course. That others hold the same unalienable rights is not the question. But rather, the function of this government, and whom it is to serve in protecting those unalienable rights.

That function is so apparent as to be mechanically tied to the words of the contract... Namely, its citizens:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed [...]

It is beyond the aegis of this government to protect the rights of those outside her borders, and equally those within her borders that are not citizens - Those citizens being the benefactors of the compact, and justly in receipt of the bounties produced therefrom.

It's establishment is defined by jurisdictions.
Its laws are not extended beyond its means.
Nor should they be.

And that, friend, is a position based in principle, not in practicality.

The only remedy beyond those jurisdictions is to enter in - Either by becoming a citizen (Loosely extended to those visiting legally under some visa), or by expansion by way of application and adoption of new lands as a territory or state.

I find it much harder to justify going to war (to include police action, etc) for the purpose of defending human rights, for exactly the same reason - it is outside of the jurisdiction of the contract. That is not to say it cannot be done, but that it cannot be done according to the letter. Which leaves it in the swamp lands of foreign policy, where we might debate all day.

@Sanguine
@Smokin Joe
@Bigun

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 06:15:53 am »
@HoustonSam
Thank you for the ping...

I find that to be less than true... American Conservatism is well defined. Where the problem lies is in the ever present hyphenation that tries to change it to something else. The issue is not what Conservatism is, but rather, that people don't know the answer, and consider themselves to be conservative in ignorance.

But enough about that... Onward to the good part.

Of course. That others hold the same unalienable rights is not the question. But rather, the function of this government, and whom it is to serve in protecting those unalienable rights.

That function is so apparent as to be mechanically tied to the words of the contract... Namely, its citizens:

It is beyond the aegis of this government to protect the rights of those outside her borders, and equally those within her borders that are not citizens - Those citizens being the benefactors of the compact, and justly in receipt of the bounties produced therefrom.

Nor should they be.

The only remedy beyond those jurisdictions is to enter in - Either by becoming a citizen (Loosely extended to those visiting legally under some visa), or by expansion by way of application and adoption of new lands as a territory or state.

I find it much harder to justify going to war (to include police action, etc) for the purpose of defending human rights, for exactly the same reason - it is outside of the jurisdiction of the contract. That is not to say it cannot be done, but that it cannot be done according to the letter. Which leaves it in the swamp lands of foreign policy, where we might debate all day.

@Sanguine
@Smokin Joe
@Bigun
Very well put.

Our government was empowered by us (Citizens of the several, United States) for the purpose of protecting the rights of The People, meaning the citizens who would cede those powers to OUR government for the express purpose of protecting OUR Rights. That permission establishes the compact, for OUR people, of OUR people, and by OUR people.

Depart from that, and the government loses its legitimacy. For Government to grant those Rights to those who have no regard for our laws, our borders, and the Right of Representation inherent in the power of the vote (and the apportionment of representatives in the House) is to invalidate the compact, for they have undertaken an action which dilutes the power of our Representation in our Republic, which alters the political landscape by giving disproportionate representation to areas which harbor those who are here illegally. For this reason alone, the question of American Citizenship is necessary to any census which affects that representation.

Other nations make their own deals with their own citizens. They have ceded no power to our government, or they would go by its rules, as the rest of our citizens do, so long as those rules are just.

The open borders crowd is in no wise Conservative, regardless of Party affiliation.

Other countries have chosen their forms of government, or permitted such to continue, whether those forms of government protect the unalienable Rights of their people or not. If people wish to flee that, they can apply, and go through the legal means of entering and becoming a citizen of the United States or another country. Otherwise, their recourse is to change the government they currently suffer under, or to endure further the sufferings they endure at present. That  choice is theirs.

It is not the job of our government to impose any change, beyond unconditional surrender in martial conflict, on the domestic policy of other governments, barring breach of international compacts, and even then, it is a task to be undertaken only after considerable deliberation and verification of facts.

It is not the job of our government to extend the rights of our citizens to those of other countries, so long as they remain citizens of those countries. Treat any invader as just that: an invader.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 12:44:46 pm »

Thanks @roamer_1 and @Smokin Joe.  You have both replied in your customary concise, effective, well-constructed manner, and I appreciate the time and thought reflected in each of your posts.  I will respond separately in order more easily to manage quotes from your posts.

While I agree with much you've both stated, about results, I don't think either of you has closed the gap I've posed in reasoning.  If I'm correct, this is not a difference that should separate us, rather one that should call us to further collaborative thinking, as iron sharpens iron.

American Conservatism is well defined. Where the problem lies is in the ever present hyphenation that tries to change it to something else. The issue is not what Conservatism is, but rather, that people don't know the answer, and consider themselves to be conservative in ignorance.

I agree fully that people claim to be conservatives, but then argue for some distortion of it, or demonstrate that they are nothing of the sort even as they extol it.

But I still do not know a *definition* of American Conservatism.  *Not* a list of example positions nor a taxonomy of distinct-but-mutually-supportive schools of thought, but a *single* principle that unifies low taxes, sanctity of unborn life, traditional marriage, RKBA, etc.  Is the principle a moral one?  The "progressives" believe their own morality, what distinguishes ours?  Is the principle spiritual?  What does that have to do with low taxes?  Is the principle fiscal?  How does that justify pro-life?  Is the principle about individuality?  Then on what grounds do we argue against the distortion of sex and gender and the legality of homosexual marriage?

I suspect the failure to articulate a single unifying principle is a large part of the reason that American Conservatism has, in my opinion, failed.  We long ago ceased being a bulwark protecting the verities, and became a mere speed bump on the progressives' road to re-defining fundamental truth.  Given the immediacy of the re-definition of sex taking place around us, we aren't even much of a speed bump - more like an expansion joint.

Of course. That others hold the same unalienable rights is not the question

Perhaps that assumption merits further thought.  Is it possible that God has endowed Americans with rights He withheld from others?  At least logically we should consider it, and if we could convince ourselves of it then the problem I am posing might quickly be dissolved.

Proceeding from the belief that our rights *are* endowed by God, it behooves us to consider what we can know of His character.  Free men can differ on that question, personally I consult what I understand to be His revealed, written word.  If one's theology is Calvinistic, that God in His sovereignty will save whom He will save, one could also conclude in His sovereignty He might endow with rights whom He will endow.  I have never been able to square that Calvinistic belief with John 3:16 or 2 Peter 3:9, so I reject it, and I would therefore reject the idea that He would endow rights in this temporal, fallen, material world to some but not to others.

Having considered the possibility and, I hope, rejected it on a sound basis, let us agree that God endows *all* men with unalienable rights; we Americans enjoy no special status before Him.

Nor should they be.

*Why* should the law not extend beyond the means?  Have we not agreed that all men are endowed equally by God, and are not governments ordained by God, as stated in Romans 13:1?  *Why* are some men's rights to be protected by our government, which we still believe is of the people, by the people, for the people, while other men's rights are to be excluded?

The statement I've bolded is in fact a *pragmatic* statement, not a principled one.  That the statement is pragmatic does not make it bad or untrustworthy, it simply means it's rooted in our recognition of material limitation, not our fundamental beliefs about morality or rights or government.  If, in some science-fiction future, the United States actually enjoyed unlimited resources and unlimited space, if we actually had no material limitation, could we still justify controlling our borders?  Could we still argue that the God-endowed rights of those born in Honduras or Iraq or Somalia are simply their own issue to sort out, and no concern of ours?

Subject to my comments above, I agree here.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 12:47:16 pm »

Hopefully the commission will start with concepts like:

...We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:12:58 pm »
Very well put.

Our government was empowered by us (Citizens of the several, United States) for the purpose of protecting the rights of The People, meaning the citizens who would cede those powers to OUR government for the express purpose of protecting OUR Rights. That permission establishes the compact, for OUR people, of OUR people, and by OUR people.

Depart from that, and the government loses its legitimacy. For Government to grant those Rights to those who have no regard for our laws, our borders, and the Right of Representation inherent in the power of the vote (and the apportionment of representatives in the House) is to invalidate the compact, for they have undertaken an action which dilutes the power of our Representation in our Republic, which alters the political landscape by giving disproportionate representation to areas which harbor those who are here illegally. For this reason alone, the question of American Citizenship is necessary to any census which affects that representation.

It is not the job of our government to extend the rights of our citizens to those of other countries, so long as they remain citizens of those countries. Treat any invader as just that: an invader.

I agree with everything you've written here.  There is, in my mind, no *principled* reason to extend the benefits of US citizenship, or even US residency, to those whose first encounter with the US was to violate its immigration law.  Some argue that there are *pragmatic* reasons to do do - that the cost of enforcement outweighs the cost of benevolent neglect, or that the public coffers will ultimately benefit from the taxes paid by those who enter illegally.  I question that arithmetic, and I challenge the idea that rule of law can be measured in dollars.

However my fundamental question is not really about whether immigration law should be enforced, it's about whether immigration law should exist.  Again, I believe immigration law should exist, but I can't see a *principled* reason for it given that protection of rights is a large part of government, and rights are endowed equally to all men by God.  The only justification I can see for maintaining immigration law is that we cannot *afford* to admit everyone.

To be clear, I am not arguing merely that violation of immigration law is legitimate grounds for deportation or prosecution; I am seeking to justify that the immigration law of the United States can legitimately deny entry or immigration to people who are fully law-abiding, decent, honest, and hard working, and I suggest that the only reason we can take that position is that we simply cannot afford to admit everyone.

I'll ask you here the same question I asked roamer_1 above : if we *could* afford to admit everyone, would we still be justified in denying some?

Perhaps I make a mistake in posing immigration law, a controversial issue, as an example.  The larger question I'm raising is what obligation do each of us have when we recognize the God-ordained rights in someone else?  Do we take on a positive obligation to secure the benefit of that right for the other person, or merely a negative obligation to refrain from interfering in his own provision of that benefit?  Earlier generations of Americans believed the former, and consequently freed slaves who could not free themselves, and gave the franchise to women who could not secure it for themselves.  Even today many of us believe we should protect the right to life of the unborn, who are manifestly unable to protect it for themselves.  We take the active position regarding the other person's rights in these instances, not the passive one.  Applied to the question of immigration, we can still draw the boundary of citizenship around the question; we can maintain that these examples are within this country and do not cross our borders.  But *why* is that a legitimate principle of distinction?

I say it is legitimate because we cannot afford otherwise, and if we could afford otherwise, it would not be legitimate.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 01:21:12 pm »
Unghhh....

Make... many... big... words...
Think too... hard.
Head make ow.

Must
coffee
now.
 :thud:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 01:22:59 pm »
I agree fully that people claim to be conservatives, but then argue for some distortion of it, or demonstrate that they are nothing of the sort even as they extol it.

But I still do not know a *definition* of American Conservatism.

@HoustonSam

Let me give you my definition and see how that plays.

Conservatism = strict adherence to the Constitution for the United States.

WE the people of the several states empowered the FedGov to do 17 specific things and only those things. Everything they are doing outside the bounds of their charter is not authorized and Conservatives ought to be doing everything possible to curtail all such activities.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 01:26:16 pm »
@HoustonSam

Let me give you my definition and see how that plays.

Conservatism = strict adherence to the Constitution for the United States.

WE the people of the several states empowered the FedGov to do 17 specific things and only those things. Everything they are doing outside the bounds of their charter is not authorized and Conservatives ought to be doing everything possible to curtail all such activities.

I think that definition moves us a long way in the right direction, and I believe firmly in Strict Constructionism and Original Intent.  But the Constitution does empower the federal government to tax us.   What is our definitional basis, in the Constitution, for advocating lower tax rates?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:42 pm »
I think that definition moves us a long way in the right direction, and I believe firmly in Strict Constructionism and Original Intent.  But the Constitution does empower the federal government to tax us.   What is our definitional basis, in the Constitution, for advocating lower tax rates?

Thank you @HoustonSam.

Indeed the Constitution does empower the fedgov to tax us but not in the manner it currently does. My objections are much more about the manner that the amount. The founders had a LOT to say about the proper mode of taxation in the federalist papers and I contend that we should return to the mode they universally endorsed, taxes on articles of consumption only! Which gets us back to your question about tax rates and I'll just go with this:

"It is a signal advantage of taxes on articles of consumption that they contain in their own nature a security against excess. They prescribe their own limit, which cannot be exceeded without defeating the end proposed - that is, an extension of the revenue. 

When applied to this object, the saying is as just as it is witty that, "in political arithmetic, two and two do not always make four." If duties are too high, they lessen the consumption; the collection is eluded; and the product to the treasury is not so great as when they are confined within proper and moderate bounds. This forms a complete barrier against any material oppression of the citizens by taxes of this class, and is itself a natural limitation of the power of imposing them.

Federalist #21
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:54:53 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 01:44:48 pm »
I agree with everything you've written here.  There is, in my mind, no *principled* reason to extend the benefits of US citizenship, or even US residency, to those whose first encounter with the US was to violate its immigration law.  Some argue that there are *pragmatic* reasons to do do - that the cost of enforcement outweighs the cost of benevolent neglect, or that the public coffers will ultimately benefit from the taxes paid by those who enter illegally.  I question that arithmetic, and I challenge the idea that rule of law can be measured in dollars.

However my fundamental question is not really about whether immigration law should be enforced, it's about whether immigration law should exist.  Again, I believe immigration law should exist, but I can't see a *principled* reason for it given that protection of rights is a large part of government, and rights are endowed equally to all men by God.  The only justification I can see for maintaining immigration law is that we cannot *afford* to admit everyone.

To be clear, I am not arguing merely that violation of immigration law is legitimate grounds for deportation or prosecution; I am seeking to justify that the immigration law of the United States can legitimately deny entry or immigration to people who are fully law-abiding, decent, honest, and hard working, and I suggest that the only reason we can take that position is that we simply cannot afford to admit everyone.

I'll ask you here the same question I asked roamer_1 above : if we *could* afford to admit everyone, would we still be justified in denying some?

Perhaps I make a mistake in posing immigration law, a controversial issue, as an example.  The larger question I'm raising is what obligation do each of us have when we recognize the God-ordained rights in someone else?  Do we take on a positive obligation to secure the benefit of that right for the other person, or merely a negative obligation to refrain from interfering in his own provision of that benefit?  Earlier generations of Americans believed the former, and consequently freed slaves who could not free themselves, and gave the franchise to women who could not secure it for themselves.  Even today many of us believe we should protect the right to life of the unborn, who are manifestly unable to protect it for themselves.  We take the active position regarding the other person's rights in these instances, not the passive one.  Applied to the question of immigration, we can still draw the boundary of citizenship around the question; we can maintain that these examples are within this country and do not cross our borders.  But *why* is that a legitimate principle of distinction?

I say it is legitimate because we cannot afford otherwise, and if we could afford otherwise, it would not be legitimate.

I've thought about this highlighted portion in the past (especially as a result of talking to libertarians).

I restate the question to myself as: Is there a principled (not practical) justification for the boundary of citizenship?

Though I can not say that I am entirely comfortable with my answer, I have given myself the answer the the boundary of citizenship is justifiable under the natural law property right.  That is, extending the property right beyond the individual to the collection of individuals, i.e., citizens of a nation.  To protect our property as citizens, we need to establish the boundary of citizenship.

Too simple?

@HoustonSam
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:45:37 pm by EdJames »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 01:49:49 pm »
Great conversation!

So, and on less than one cup of coffee, what I take away at this point is:

1. We, as humans, have unalienable rights bestowed by God.
Q - does that apply to every human or are Americans somehow special?  My thought is that, no, Americans are not special, but America is.
2. We not-special Americans got together 243 years ago and tried to "form a more perfect union".  In doing so, we, with divine intervention, created a nation, ruled by laws and not people, and based on limited powers.
3. Other people, who are just as not-special as we are, are free to form their own governments with their own rules.
4. We are not required to take in those people whenever they want to come here, based on our laws per above.
5. The government that was created by the people giving up some of their rights to do so, is established for the purpose of doing the things that it has been directed to do so in its formation. 
6. To go beyond those things or to fail to do those things is a breach of contract/compact.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 01:54:59 pm »
Thank you @HoustonSam.

Indeed the Constitution does empower the fedgov to tax us but not in the manner it currently does. My objections are much more about the manner that the amount. The founders had a LOT to say about the proper mode of taxation in the federalist papers and I contend that we should return to the mode they universally endorsed, taxes on articles of consumption only which gets us back to your question about tax rates.  I'll go with this:

"It is a signal advantage of taxes on articles of consumption that they contain in their own nature a security against excess. They prescribe their own limit, which cannot be exceeded without defeating the end proposed - that is, an extension of the revenue. 

When applied to this object, the saying is as just as it is witty that, "in political arithmetic, two and two do not always make four." If duties are too high, they lessen the consumption; the collection is eluded; and the product to the treasury is not so great as when they are confined within proper and moderate bounds. This forms a complete barrier against any material oppression of the citizens by taxes of this class, and is itself a natural limitation of the power of imposing them.

Federalist #21

I think there is a good case to be made for your position.  But American Conservatives in fact argue for lower individual tax rates.  Why?  American Conservatism as Strict Constitutionality cannot explain why American Conservatives argue for lower individual tax rates.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:16 pm »
I've thought about this highlighted portion in the past (especially as a result of talking to libertarians).

I restate the question to myself as: Is there a principled (not practical) justification for the boundary of citizenship?

Though I can not say that I am entirely comfortable with my answer, I have given myself the answer the the boundary of citizenship is justifiable under the natural law property right.  That is, extending the property right beyond the individual to the collection of individuals, i.e., citizens of a nation.  To protect our property as citizens, we need to establish the boundary of citizenship.

Too simple?

@HoustonSam

Nope!  Not at all too simple and I concur.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 02:01:31 pm »
I think there is a good case to be made for your position.  But American Conservatives in fact argue for lower individual tax rates.  Why?  American Conservatism as Strict Constitutionality cannot explain why American Conservatives argue for lower individual tax rates.

The ONLY answer to that I can come up with @HoustonSam, and I have contemplated that a lot over the years, is that they have resigned themselves to the existence of the Marxist income tax system we currently suffer.  Obviously, I am decidedly NOT among those that have done so.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:15:30 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 02:03:18 pm »
Great conversation!

So, and on less than one cup of coffee, what I take away at this point is:

1. We, as humans, have unalienable rights bestowed by God.
Q - does that apply to every human or are Americans somehow special?  My thought is that, no, Americans are not special, but America is.
2. We not-special Americans got together 243 years ago and tried to "form a more perfect union".  In doing so, we, with divine intervention, created a nation, ruled by laws and not people, and based on limited powers.
3. Other people, who are just as not-special as we are, are free to form their own governments with their own rules.
4. We are not required to take in those people whenever they want to come here, based on our laws per above.
5. The government that was created by the people giving up some of their rights to do so, is established for the purpose of doing the things that it has been directed to do so in its formation. 
6. To go beyond those things or to fail to do those things is a breach of contract/compact.

:yowsa:  Well said @Sanguine !

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 02:08:23 pm »

I think this is the right track.  Start with smaller group, say a gated community.  They own the communal property and have the right to control access.  This concept scales up allowing for more public access with larger communities.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 02:11:56 pm »
@HoustonSam

Thanks @EdJames, that is a great addition to the thoughts here.  I need to reflect on it a bit more however.

One one extreme I can certainly see that citizenship is necessary to individual property rights - if there were no political entities, if all men (or all families) were completely independent units with no affiliation among themselves, only the property of the strongest would be secure, and then only so long as weaker men did not temporarily ally themselves against the stronger.  I suppose that's inherent in the nature of the Social Contract - we associate ourselves together in order to gain the benefits of law, not least of which is the security of property.

What about the other extreme?  I'm certainly not an advocate of One World Government, but if it existed, if we were not 7 billion completely independent atoms, or 200(?) nations, but in fact *all* citizens of *one* entity, would that idea of citizenship be necessary to property rights?  I suppose our current understanding of citizenship is as much exclusive as inclusive, but if we did have One World Government it would be purely inclusive; there would be only one Social Contract.  Still, I suppose that single social Contract would be necessary to the security of property.

So I guess it's the contract, more than the idea of citizenship, that seems to me necessary to the security of property.  Since we don't have One World Government, but many different Social Contracts, the citizenship idea is necessary to associate a given individual with a given Social Contract.

I certainly don't find your idea too simple.  It merits significant additional thought.

Thanks!