Author Topic: Cervelli, Lucroy, and baseball’s most vulnerable beasts  (Read 2329 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Wearing the tools of ignorance can be more dangerous than driving in metropolitan traffic.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/07/07/cervelli-lucroy-and-baseballs-most-vulnerable-beasts/

Hours after Francisco Cervelli surrendered the
“tools of ignorance” Sunday, Angels catcher
Jonathan Lucroy (center, kneeling) was blasted
near the plate by Astros baserunner Jake
Marisnick. Angels outfielders Kole Calhoun and
(hidden, mostly) Mike Trout join team health
personnel checking their man . . .

Baseball’s single most dangerous field position is probably behind the plate. Catchers are in on the beginning of each play, receiving the pitcher’s delivery unless its struck by the hitter. But catchers can also be men one minute made mincemeat the next, depending.

They risk being concussed into brain damage by anything from a foul tip, a violent backswing, an unforgiving wall or rail or fence while trying to catch a foul popup, or a baserunner steaming from third base and flying home in a near-perfect impression of a cruise missile. The luckier ones retire from baseball without their bodies becoming their own quislings or their minds lost in the liquefying of their brains.

Their field equipment was nicknamed “the tools of ignorance” by ancient catcher Muddy Ruel, who hoped to highlight the irony, as baseball’s very own Website points out, “that a player with the intelligence needed to be effective behind the plate would be foolish enough to play a position that required so much safety equipment.”

Ruel played generations before catchers took to wearing helmets that are the next best thing to those employed by hockey goalies. Thomas Boswell once called the catcher “half guru, half beast of burden.” It’s the latter that often means a catcher sliced, diced, and pureed, Bigfoot turned to Blue Bonnet margarine.

Baseball changed the rules a few years ago to get catchers a little further out of the line of collision than was reasonably healthy for them to remain. There were those mourning the further snowflaking of the grand old game. But maybe we ought to wonder instead how such men as Hall of Famer Yogi Berra lived as long as they did with their marbles unspilled. (Berra died at 90.)

Nothing specifically says baseball must be excessively dangerous for those who play it or those who watch and love it. Nothing suggests concurrently that even the thinking person’s sport that baseball is must be immune at all times to physical injury. But players have been known to play as though in the youthful and naive belief that they are eternally invulnerable. Until they’re not.

Hall of Fame catcher Roy Campanella once said, famously, that for a man to play baseball well a lot of him had to be a little boy. Boys will be boys, but there’s nothing written or implicit mandating that they absolutely have to destroy themselves or each other to be boys, or young men.

On baseball’s final Sunday before the All-Star break, one major league catcher decided six concussions per twelve major league seasons was quite enough, and it was time to set the so-called tools of ignorance to one side. Francisco Cervelli, Yankee turned Pirate, got number six thanks to a broken bat hitting his chin on 25 May. “That’s enough,” he told DKPittsburghSports.com’s Dejan Kovacevic. “This time is different. I can’t live like this.”

What a difference almost a month and a half makes. When first knocked down and out, Cervelli was determined to get back behind the plate as soon as feasible, which seemed to unnerve Pirates general manager Neal Huntington.

“We care about this man. We care about this person and want him to have a great post-playing career . . . You have to respect the player’s wishes,” Huntington said then. “Francisco has been adamant that he wants to continue to catch. I think he would be quite unhappy if we told him he was never going to catch for us again.”

Kovacevic says Cervelli changed his mind gradually but surely and with no instigation from the Pirates. He talks of switching to the outfield, perhaps. Barring any frequent collisions with fellow outfielders, it’s a far less dangerous place to play, assuming Cervelli can recover his batting stroke enough to justify the Pirates letting him fall in out there.

And lo! Just hours after the news of Cervelli discarding the tools of ignorance came forth, there came a play in Houston that gave his alarm too much credence.

Astros outfielder Jake Marisnick, inserted into the game against the Angels as a pinch runner for left fielder Yordan Alvarez, attempted to come home from third on a long bases-loaded fly to right by Astros center field star George Springer. Angels right fielder Kole Calhoun fired a strike home.

Marisnick came booming down the line as Angels catcher Jonathan Lucroy awaited the Calhoun throw. Mindful of the oncoming Marisnick, Lucroy moved out front and slightly left of the plate, which (read carefully) opened the lane for Marisnick to stay on a straight line, with Lucroy, a well-seasoned catcher, leaving himself concurrent room to apply a tag.

Except that Marisnick jinked left, right into Lucroy, blasting Lucroy into a heap, the impact compelling Marisnick to double back to touch the plate, before he bent over Lucroy in obvious alarm for the veteran’s health as the Angels’ training staff arrived at the plate.

The play was reviewed out of New York and Marisnick was ruled out. He would have scored the go-ahead run in a ten-all tie; the Astros ultimately won the game 11-10 in the tenth inning.

Social media seemed to bristle with Astros fans fuming over the out call, but the call was indeed correct according to the rule that’s been in place since 2014, when the Giants and most of baseball became fed up over how much playing time injuries and plate collisions cost their star catcher Buster Posey:

A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).

I watched as many replays of the play as I could. My conclusion:

1) Lucroy did indeed move to allow Marisnick a more proper lane, just before Lucroy took Calhoun’s throw to the plate on the short hop about a foot forward left of the plate. (The longtime rule was that catchers were not allowed to block the plate, a rule rarely enforced, but Lucroy acted within the letter of the current rule, too.)

2) Marisnick did indeed move left and into Lucroy’s way in a bid to move him off the play when he was indeed given a clear, straight line to the plate. If you see the play from the camera angle behind the plate, you see Marisnick look as though making a quick turn left, the pivot on his right leg, and into Lucroy.

3) Read this very carefully, too: From all appearances, Marisnick had no intention of relieving Lucroy of his limbs or his brains on the play. He wanted simply to knock Lucroy off the play and relieve him of the ball he speared seconds before impact. The ball was indeed knocked right out of Lucroy’s mitt at the moment Marisnick turned him into the high priced spread.

4) The foregoing said, Marisnick was very remorseful over Lucroy’s injury, as he tweeted subsequently: Through my eyes I thought the play was going to end up on the outside of the plate. I made a split second decision at full speed to slide head first on the inside part of the plate. That decision got another player hurt and I feel awful. I hope nothing but the best for [Lucroy].

5) Properly remorseful but momentarily blinded. Full speed or otherwise he couldn’t possibly miss Lucroy moving forward to allow him a proper lane, which, I repeat, would still give Lucroy a fair shot at tagging him out and Marisnick a fair shot at scoring.

The Angels sent Lucroy to a local hospital for a CT scan and concussion evaluation, not to mention to determine whether his nose was broken on the play. Lucroy’s week already included mourning the unexpected deaths of his Angels teammate Tyler Skaggs and his coach at Louisiana-Lafayette College, Tony Robichaux. Crowning such grief by being blown to smithereens wasn’t exactly on Lucroy’s radar.

It soiled both the Astros’ otherwise splendidly hard earned win and the afternoon on which Mike Trout, the Angels’ and baseball’s Mr. Everything, bombed his way into his team’s record book, his two launches making him the Angel with the most home runs prior to an All-Star break, ever. (The previous record, 26, was shared by Trout, future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols, and former Angels star/World Series hero Garret Anderson.)

It also spoiled such Sunday milestones as Mets rookie Pete Alonso, one of the few bright lights in a Mets season described at best as grotesque, breaking the National League’s record for runs batted in by a rookie before an All-Star break and tying the Mets’ team record for home runs before the All-Star break. (Dave Kingman set it in 1976.)

And it punctuated Francisco Cervelli’s decision with an exclamation point that might as well have been fashioned into a stake.
----------
@Polly Ticks
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Freya
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:36:45 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Cervelli, Lucroy, and baseball’s most vulnerable beasts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:43:13 pm »
Well, except for a few important details you got it right.

1. Lecroy was never in danger of actually catching that ball much less actually doing so.

2. LeCroy moved in front of Marisnick and not the other way around.

3. Despite any rule changes that have occurred since I played the game, I do believe that runners are still entitled to the baseline and Marisnick never left it.

4. The officiating staff blew that call totally and completely.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:12 pm »
Well, except for a few important details you got it right.

1. Lucroy [sic] was never in danger of actually catching that ball much less actually doing so.
False. The ball hopped up to Lucroy's glove and he had it in the glove at the split second Marisnick hit him.

2. Lucroy [sic] moved in front of Marisnick and not the other way around.
False again. Lucroy moved forward left right before Marisnick made his move left. I saw a large number of replays that showed it.

3. Despite any rule changes that have occurred since I played the game, I do believe that runners are still entitled to the baseline and Marisnick never left it.
False further. When he moved left he moved away from the baseline on its inner side. Lucroy was giving him the rest of the baseline's short direct distance to the plate.

4. The officiating staff blew that call totally and completely.
False one more time. Re-read the rule. Intentionally or no Marisnick most certainly did deviate inward and away from the direct path to the plate.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:54:04 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:27 pm »
False. The ball hopped up to Lucroy's glove and he had it in the glove at the split second Marisnick hit him.
False again. Lucroy moved forward left right before Marisnick made his move left. I saw a large number of replays that showed it.
False further. When he moved left he moved away from the baseline on its inner side. Lucroy was giving him the rest of the baseline's short direct distance to the plate.
False one more time. Re-read the rule. Intentionally or no Marisnick most certainly did deviate inward and away from the direct path to the plate.

BS on all counts! I watched it happen live and saw many replays afterward.  The ball never touched anything but Lucroy's butt before it hit the ground.

And Marisnick NEVER left the baseline on his way to the plate.

But you carry on with your fiction.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:00:21 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 08:03:49 pm »
BS on all counts! I watched it happen live and saw many replays afterward.
So did I. And I even played a few in slow motion where I could.

And anyone who couldn't see Marisnick jink slightly sharp left right before he collided with Lucroy (and I am not saying Marisnick wanted to injure him) after Lucroy moved forward left needs to see an opthalmologist post haste.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:05:49 pm »
So did I. And I even played a few in slow motion where I could.

And anyone who couldn't see Marisnick jink slightly sharp left right before he collided with Lucroy (and I am not saying Marisnick wanted to injure him) after Lucroy moved forward left needs to see an opthalmologist post haste.

I'm Done! Please remove me from your ping list!

And good luck with the ophthalmologist!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:07:23 pm »
I'm Done! Please remove me from your ping list!
With sad pleasure.

And good luck with the ophthalmologist!
I didn't know you took to talking in the mirror.  wink777

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:11:01 pm »
With sad pleasure.
I didn't know you took to talking in the mirror.  wink777

I don't! I was talking directly to YOU!   22222frying pan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 08:14:48 pm »
I don't! I was talking directly to YOU!   22222frying pan
If that's the best you've got . . .

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 08:17:38 pm »
If that's the best you've got . . .

All I need in this case!   :seeya:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 08:18:44 pm »
All I need in this case!   :seeya:
Well, part of it was my fault. I should have known better than to engage a battle of wits with an unarmed man.  :seeya:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 08:21:59 pm »
Meanwhile, Jonathan Lucroy did indeed suffer a concussion and a broken nose on the play. He told ESPN in a text message he expects to be released from the hospital today. How long he'll be on the IL especially under concussion protocols is another question entirely.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:52 pm »
Hate to tell you Easy Ace, but your 5 step progression of the play took place in a matter of about 3 seconds.  4/5 the way from 3rd, all Marsinck saw was a blocked plate.  You really think the mind/muscle/motion of the human body can process all that information in the manner your describe?

In the era of wuss baseball, Marsinick will get a suspension.  But I believe all he saw before going into home was a totally blocked plate.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 08:26:17 pm »
BS on all counts! I watched it happen live and saw many replays afterward.  The ball never touched anything but Lucroy's butt before it hit the ground.

And Marisnick NEVER left the baseline on his way to the plate.

But you carry on with your fiction.

Ace has always had a hard on against the 'Stros.  But, that's fine with me.  I feel the same about the cubs yankees, and red sox.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 08:29:23 pm »
Hate to tell you Easy Ace, but your 5 step progression of the play took place in a matter of about 3 seconds.  4/5 the way from 3rd, all Marsinck saw was a blocked plate.  You really think the mind/muscle/motion of the human body can process all that information in the manner your describe?

In the era of wuss baseball, Marsinick will get a suspension.  But I believe all he saw before going into home was a totally blocked plate.
Except that Lucroy moved forward left away from the plate before Marisnick clearly left the proper baseline moving sharp left toward the large dirt in front of the plate and hit Lucroy when Lucroy wasn't even near the plate.

As for the mind/muscle/motion of the body processing all that information, the answer is yes, a) baseball players are taught to process such information; and, b) only Ray Charles couldn't have seen Lucroy move away from the plate (in part to take Kole Calhoun's throw home on the short hop) or that Marisnick blasted into him out of the proper baseline in front of the plate.

That said, I repeat: I don't think Marisnick intended to injure Lucroy. But his intent may well not save him from a suspension.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:36:09 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 08:30:34 pm »
Ace has always had a hard on against the 'Stros.
Ace has no particular hard on for or against the Astros. And even if Ace thinks one or two Astros (certainly not Jake Marisnick) have been a little on the dubious side, Ace can say likewise about a lot of teams including teams for which he roots personally.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 08:31:57 pm »
Except that Lucroy moved forward left away from the plate before Marisnick clearly left the proper baseline moving sharp left toward the large dirt in front of the plate and hit Lucroy when Lucroy wasn't even near the plate.

As for the mind/muscle/motion of the body processing all that informatoin, the answer is yes, a) baseball players are taught to process such information; and, b) only Ray Charles couldn't have seen Lucroy move away from the plate (in part to take Kole Calhoun's throw home on the short hop) or that Marisnick blasted into him out of the proper baseline in front of the plate.

That said, I repeat: I don't think Marisnick intended to injure Lucroy. But his intent may well not save him from a suspension.

You've totally ignored my point that the human mind and body/motion can not being able process that quickly.   I am through talking to you about this  and your astros hate.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 08:35:45 pm »
You've totally ignored my point that the human mind and body/motion can not being able process that quickly.
You've totally ignored what I actually said.

I am through talking to you about this  and your astros hate.
I have never hated the Astros, but I am beginning to think some of their fans leave much to be desired. (Which I could certainly say about just about any team's fans in certain moments.)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:50 pm »
Then arm yourself sport!
Strike three.  wink777

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 10:08:12 pm »
Just a few observations from a petite (read: dinky) female, non-athletic newcomer to baseball:

1. I truly don't understand men. They're all rough and tumble and willing to get dirty and do things most of us women would never do. (I know there are exceptions, so don't get all worked up by my statement.) I loved football because of the physicality of it, yet I never wanted to see anyone get hurt. When Kaepernick/NFL ruined the game for me, I found MLB and fell in love. At first, I didn't realize how rough and tumble it was, but I get it now. And that's what keeps the excitement in the game.

2. As was the case in football, I never want to see anyone get hurt. But the sense of probability is unmistakably present. In fact, it seems there are fewer injuries than one might expect in such a fast-moving game.

3. Baseball, I've learned, is a game of inches. Hence, the aggression. Aggression to prevent a successful run to home plate (all bases, but especially home plate). Aggression to safely reach home plate (again, all bases, but especially home plate). I have seen the baseline obstructed and players collide numerous times before yesterday's game. The play was called one way or the other (sometimes incorrectly, even if it was in our favor), and the game proceeded.

4. Let's consider this scenario: Same play. Everything is exactly the same except that Lucroy isn't hurt. He gets up and maybe protests the play. Or not. But he's not hurt. Does the run count? Is Marisnick demonized for committing to a path that has him sliding head first to touch the front of home plate? Is a suspension in order for that scenario? Because I feel compelled to ask this question, I start to wonder if baseball might become woosified to the point where it's lost much of its excitement.

5. There must be something to be said about the action in America's favorite pastime that draws those players in. Especially catchers since they're so prone to devastating injuries. Why else would Robinson Chirinos don all the gear and get behind the plate after his battle back from concussion? I think it's the daring nature of men that enters the equation and causes them to make those decisions. I may not understand it, but I respect it. The risk/reward element is not for me. All the more reason why I'm willing to give props to those who are motivated by it.

5. Why was it important that the reader know that Mike Trout stood over the injured Lucroy even though he (Trout) wasn't visible in the pic? Does it give the story more heft? Everyone knows that he's the KING OF BASEBALL, but how is his presence in the pic germane? In my journalism studies, I remember the techniques we learned about making a story more sympathetic toward one side-- "A grandmother was robbed..." as opposed to "A woman was robbed...." See how that works? You feel worse for the grandmother than just some woman without grandkids. Everybody does it, so I don't mean to pick on the caption writer. Rather, I like to create awareness for some who haven't yet discerned those nuances.

6. It was suggested that the writer had ill feelings toward the Astros. I can't say. I haven't been around long enough to have made an observation regarding that. I have, however, waited for one of these pieces to feature the Astros. Today it finally happened, but not in the way I was hoping. I hope the accuser was wrong. I'll have to wait and see to form my own opinion.   

7. Can the term "Monday morning quarterbacking" be used to size up a baseball game after the fact, or is there a baseball-y term that describes this activity?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 10:28:12 pm »
7. Can the term "Monday morning quarterbacking" be used to size up a baseball game after the fact, or is there a baseball-y term that describes this activity?
In baseball we call it second-guessing.

And I happened to write after watching the game (it was one hell of a game on both sides mostly), then watching numerous replays of the play in question.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 10:41:23 pm »

6. It was suggested that the writer had ill feelings toward the Astros. I can't say. I haven't been around long enough to have made an observation regarding that. I have, however, waited for one of these pieces to feature the Astros. Today it finally happened, but not in the way I was hoping. I hope the accuser was wrong. I'll have to wait and see to form my own opinion.   

I really don't think Ace has ill feelings against the Astros.  He and his prose does follow the typical elitist content of what I call the east / west coastal ESPNish media illuminati.  (i.e Teams from mid-america aren't so interesting)  And case in point, in his works, our (Astros) run in 2017, barely existed.  And as you mentioned, when he finally does mentions us, it is  in a negative context.

It's his column, so be it.  He is an expert in this game.  However, just like his column today, being an expert doesn't make you 100% correct.  Meaning, ....he's not the only one here who knows a lot about this game.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:17 pm »
I really don't think Ace has ill feelings against the Astros.  He and his prose does follow the typical elitist content of what I call the east / west coastal ESPNish media illuminati.  (i.e Teams from mid-america aren't so interesting)  And case in point, in his works, our (Astros) run in 2017, barely existed.  And as you mentioned, when he finally does mentions us, it is  in a negative context.
You must remember nothing of my writings about the 2017 postseason, unless you didn't get to read them, including:

Big little kid on the Astros' block
The nuts hunt the squirrels
The loneliest night for Ken Giles
Springing to World Series rings

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 11:18:14 pm »
You must remember nothing of my writings about the 2017 postseason, unless you didn't get to read them, including:

Big little kid on the Astros' block
The nuts hunt the squirrels
The loneliest night for Ken Giles
Springing to World Series rings

Were these at TBR?  I ran a few searches, and was unsuccessful finding the threads