Author Topic: US women's soccer team wins second straight World Cup title, fourth overall  (Read 4919 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
First off, Donald Trump has nothing to do with this.

Yes, it does, after he put himself into the story, as per usual.

Nearly two weeks ago — after Trump criticized Rapinoe for not singing the national anthem — a video, that showed the star forward saying she has no intention of going to the White House if the USWNT won the title, went viral.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/megan-rapinoe-says-not-many-162655462.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline musiclady

Hi @musiclady.  In the words of Ayn Rand, your post has made me check my assumptions.  I have had zero enthusiasm for this team because of my interpretation of their character based largely on the noise coming from a couple players.  I will always disdain and reject those who disrespect the anthem or country that has afforded them opportunity, fame and fortune.  Truth is, I know virtually nothing of the whole.  Thanks for the check. 

Hope you are well.

Thank you, sir!  (I'm never bothered by standing alone, but it's nice to have someone respond positively to my thoughts!)

I always oppose kneejerk responses, and reject the screaming of a few troublemakers in the interest of the overall truth. The fact is, the vast majority of the members of this team are just talented, hard working female athletes who have sacrificed a lot (as any athlete does) to become part of an excellent team.

I also oppose double standards that say men can behave badly and be heroes, but women must be delicate and well-behaved to be admired.

And the irony of those who support a loudmouthed, very badly behaved, immoral man representing the US in the highest office in the land who are so offended by this team is just too rich.....

And I am doing very well!  How about you??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

The utter hypocrisy on this site is hilarious.   Clearly okay for the president to deride, demean, slam, slur everyone with whom he disagrees.   A bunch of talented women soccer players dish it right back at him and ………….the folks  here are ready for the fainting couch.

888high58888

As I said in the post above...... the irony of these who are so offended by the behavior of a couple of people on this team (not the whole team, mind you),  is beyond rich.

The United States of America won the World Cup in women's soccer.

And the team played like champions to win it!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline goatprairie

888high58888

As I said in the post above...... the irony of these who are so offended by the behavior of a couple of people on this team (not the whole team, mind you),  is beyond rich.

The United States of America won the World Cup in women's soccer.

And the team played like champions to win it!
In 1968 two black American track athletes, Tommy Smith and John Carlos,  stood on the medal stand at the Olympics and raised their fists and lowered their heads while the American national anthem played.
I was a lot more liberal at the time than I am now, but I was highly dismayed.  The country was trying to improve race relations, and the two black athletes just widened the division between the races.
For the same reason I can't take much enjoyment about a star American athlete for the women's soccer team who disrespected the flag getting plaudits from the liberal press.  She shouldn't have been on the team.
So excuse us nasty misogynists if we don't get all excited about a bunch ungrateful, anti-Ameircan female wretches winning a game. If it was a team full of male athletes doing the same things, I guarantee you I'd be cheering for the other team as well.

Offline Idiot

US women's soccer team wins second straight World Cup title, fourth overall

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

The U.S. defeated the Netherlands on Sunday to win its second consecutive Women's World Cup title. It’s the team's fourth overall.

The Americans defeated the Dutch, 2-0, behind goals from Megan Rapinoe and Rose Lavelle. Rapinoe scored on a penalty kick in the 61st minute and Lavelle scored in the 69th minute.

It was a hard-fought battle between the U.S. and the Netherlands. The two squads were tied in the second half as it looked like the Dutch defense had the Americans’ number despite the heavy attack.

A foul was committed on Alex Morgan in the box and after a VAR review and an official review, the U.S. was awarded a penalty kick.

Rapinoe took the kick and finally scored on the Netherlands goalkeeper Sari van Veenendaal.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/us-the-netherlands-womens-world-cup-2019-recap
So our lesbians beat theirs?

Online corbe

Sure seems a lot of Lesbians hate Trump, the WNBA Champs (Seattle Storm) wouldn't go to the White House either.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

The Washington Times:
"After the United States won the Women’s World Cup by beating Netherlands 2-0 in Sunday’s final match, a group of American soccer fans in France chanted an expletive about President Trump on a live television broadcast."

Offline edpc

Sure seems a lot of Lesbians hate Trump, the WNBA Champs (Seattle Storm) wouldn't go to the White House either.

It’s not a coincidence that Rapinoe’s GF (Sue Bird #10) plays for that team.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:28:49 am by edpc »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Let's hope that most of these fine athletes, have more class than Tommy Smith and John Carlos
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

I ALSO he hope stays above the fray but 5 hours into this they are trolling him badly as some above predicted, will he tweet something about tuna, stay tuned.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
   I ALSO he hope stays above the fray but 5 hours into this they are trolling him badly as some above predicted, will he tweet something about tuna, stay tuned.

Reminds of the story about a shithouse door on a tuna boat.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Absalom

So they're Role Models, Exemplars, Patriots, Templates......
Er...........isn't kicking an inflated sphere a recreation???

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So they're Role Models, Exemplars, Patriots, Templates......
Er...........isn't kicking an inflated sphere a recreation???

Nah   sending Christians to the Detroit Lions was sport. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online corbe

My GF asked me how I view lesbian relationships, apparently, Full screen in HD was not the right answer.

Offline Rivergirl

First off, Donald Trump has nothing to do with this. Second, you are blatantly lying about my positions... and you deserve a humiliating tongue lashing far worse than I think the moderators would allow me to post on this forum. So can the sexist drivel and take it elsewhere. Thanks.

tee hee   looks like the shoe fit.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

First off, Donald Trump has nothing to do with this. Second, you are blatantly lying about my positions... and you deserve a humiliating tongue lashing far worse than I think the moderators would allow me to post on this forum. So can the sexist drivel and take it elsewhere. Thanks.

Sometimes the jokes write themselves!

Top notch, @jmyrlefuller    :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Sometimes the jokes write themselves!

Top notch, @jmyrlefuller    :laugh:
  :laugh: :beer:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rustynail

Rodney King Asks, 'Can We All Get Along?'

Offline musiclady

In 1968 two black American track athletes, Tommy Smith and John Carlos,  stood on the medal stand at the Olympics and raised their fists and lowered their heads while the American national anthem played.
I was a lot more liberal at the time than I am now, but I was highly dismayed.  The country was trying to improve race relations, and the two black athletes just widened the division between the races.
For the same reason I can't take much enjoyment about a star American athlete for the women's soccer team who disrespected the flag getting plaudits from the liberal press.  She shouldn't have been on the team.
So excuse us nasty misogynists if we don't get all excited about a bunch ungrateful, anti-Ameircan female wretches winning a game. If it was a team full of male athletes doing the same things, I guarantee you I'd be cheering for the other team as well.

I was completely with you for the first three paragraphs @goatprairie .  Then you lost your way at the end.

I don't think that disagreeing with me makes anyone a "nasty misogynist,"  (nor did I even remotely imply that) and I know there are a lot of thoughtful people who agree with you.  I also know that there are a lot of very strong conservatives and even Trump supporters who were glad the USA won the World Cup.  And I know that there is a significant double standard in what kind of behavior is expected of women relative to male athletes. (Which doesn't mean that all those who disagree with me on the overall situation are misogynists - though there are clearly a couple here on this board).

That said, I stand by saying that someone who excuses Trump's immorality and bad behavior and is bothered by (a few of) these women is dripping with hypocrisy.

I hate the anti-Americanism in a handful of athletes these days, and I hate that the media lionizes them......actually, I hate the leftist media in general.   So in that, we're completely on the same page.  (Although being anti-Trump is not synonymous with being anti-American).

I am still glad, problems notwithstanding, that the American women's soccer team won their fourth World Cup and their second in a row.  It is a significant accomplishment.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Allie Long, Megan Rapinoe Drop American Flag During World Cup Celebration
https://dailycaller.com/2019/07/07/allie-long-megan-rapinoe-drop-american-flag-world-cup/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline goatprairie

I was completely with you for the first three paragraphs @goatprairie .  Then you lost your way at the end.

I don't think that disagreeing with me makes anyone a "nasty misogynist,"  (nor did I even remotely imply that) and I know there are a lot of thoughtful people who agree with you.  I also know that there are a lot of very strong conservatives and even Trump supporters who were glad the USA won the World Cup.  And I know that there is a significant double standard in what kind of behavior is expected of women relative to male athletes. (Which doesn't mean that all those who disagree with me on the overall situation are misogynists - though there are clearly a couple here on this board).

That said, I stand by saying that someone who excuses Trump's immorality and bad behavior and is bothered by (a few of) these women is dripping with hypocrisy.

I hate the anti-Americanism in a handful of athletes these days, and I hate that the media lionizes them......actually, I hate the leftist media in general.   So in that, we're completely on the same page.  (Although being anti-Trump is not synonymous with being anti-American).

I am still glad, problems notwithstanding, that the American women's soccer team won their fourth World Cup and their second in a row.  It is a significant accomplishment.
Trump has little or nothing to do with Rapinoe's and others' disrespect of their country. She knelt in sympathy with Kaepernick because she agreed with his cockeyed view of the country towards minorities.
If Trump hadn't have said anything, they all would have still done their anti-American actions. Her disliking Trump has nothing to with it.
I don't want people like Rapinoe representing my country. She can take all her awards and plaudits and stick them where the sun doesn't shine. I don't care. By cheering for Rapinoe, a person is cheering for everything that is destroying the country.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Good thing these wenches are having their little rainbow parade in NYC, because if they had it in middle America ,it would be  cloudy with an 80% chance of raining rotten fruit.

The absolute ultimate of irony.  Repesenting a country while trashing it. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline edpc

Trump has little or nothing to do with Rapinoe's and others' disrespect of their country. She knelt in sympathy with Kaepernick because she agreed with his cockeyed view of the country towards minorities.

If Trump hadn't have said anything, they all would have still done their anti-American actions. Her disliking Trump has nothing to with it.

I don't want people like Rapinoe representing my country. She can take all her awards and plaudits and stick them where the sun doesn't shine. I don't care. By cheering for Rapinoe, a person is cheering for everything that is destroying the country.

The problem is – women’s soccer has nowhere near the domestic following of the NFL. It’s likely few people would have heard or noticed what she did. Instead, he inserted himself into the issue, told her to put up or shut up, and they put up. So, all he really did was elevate her platform.